PDA

View Full Version : I just tryed a Hustler Diesel and like it...

ClassicLawnCareInc
06-20-2009, 07:55 PM
My local Hustler dealer let me take home a new diesel zero turn for the weekend. I put about 5 hrs on it and I have to say I am really impressed. It's a 60in cut, 25 hp Shiboro(SP) Diesel engine. l.e.d gas guage. It was smooth, powerful and did a great job cutting in thick and not so thick grass. I currently own 2 John Deere 997 Diesel ztracks and a wright zk 31 hp gas stander. I thick I am going to go ahead and buy this Hustler. Hustler has a special going, this Hustler, new, $9990 plus it has a 3 year warranty on the mower. Also my dealer can get me 0% for 36 mnths. Ill try to post some pics of it. Just wanted to get the word out there for anyone looking for a cheaper-priced diesel zero turn that seems to do a great job and come with a good warranty.

Keith
06-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a nice machine.

Any clue if the pricing is available everywhere? I think it's a little heavier than I care for on the lawns down here, but that's a great price.

ClassicLawnCareInc
06-20-2009, 11:20 PM
from what I hear that price is nationwide, and the 0 percent finaincing is through sheffield which I assume is nationwide as well.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-21-2009, 12:14 AM
wow tell us more about your experience!!!! sounds great a hustler diesel is rare to hear about! i saw the cat diesel but not the shibura! that is also how you spell it shibura. just so you know. how was the fuel consumption??

ToroLandscaper
06-21-2009, 02:02 AM
We used one last week when my buddy's Super Z was in the shop, it is definitely a beast and did not bog down, ever. However, my buddy's Super Z had only 170 hours and has been in the shop twice 1) for the starter 2) for the clutch 3) and now the plastic where the key and electric PTO is located is starting to peel up. The diesel only had 12 hours when we picked it up and at 30 hours a spring snapped on it....

I really like hustlers and would not really hesitate to buy one, but I am starting to wonder about there build quality..

Lawnut101
06-21-2009, 03:03 AM
That sounds like a good price! But I pretty much don't like Sheffield.

johnnybravo8802
06-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Are you sure that price is correct? That sounds awefully cheap. I looked at one yesterday and it was $13,000+. The Scag diesel is $16,000-that's what I really want but I'm not paying that much.

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 11:02 AM
You better pull the Trigger on that Hustler diesel deal at $9,990 that is minimal $4,000 below Kubota, John Deere, or Bad Boy diesels with WAYYY more diesel engine. Good Luck

My local Hustler dealer let me take home a new diesel zero turn for the weekend. I put about 5 hrs on it and I have to say I am really impressed. It's a 60in cut, 25 hp Shiboro(SP) Diesel engine. l.e.d gas guage. It was smooth, powerful and did a great job cutting in thick and not so thick grass. I currently own 2 John Deere 997 Diesel ztracks and a wright zk 31 hp gas stander. I thick I am going to go ahead and buy this Hustler. Hustler has a special going, this Hustler, new, $9990 plus it has a 3 year warranty on the mower. Also my dealer can get me 0% for 36 mnths. Ill try to post some pics of it. Just wanted to get the word out there for anyone looking for a cheaper-priced diesel zero turn that seems to do a great job and come with a good warranty.

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 11:05 AM
You better pull the Trigger on that Hustler diesel deal at $9,990 that is minimal $4,000 below Kubota, John Deere, or Bad Boy diesels those listed with WAYYY more diesel engine. You think the Hustler 25 hp Shiboro is equal to your Yanmar 4 banger diesel in the JD 997???, if so Shiboro or Hustler has grossly underestimated the little diesel's hp/torque spec sheet.

MJB
06-21-2009, 12:18 PM
We used one last week when my buddy's Super Z was in the shop, it is definitely a beast and did not bog down, ever. However, my buddy's Super Z had only 170 hours and has been in the shop twice 1) for the starter 2) for the clutch 3) and now the plastic where the key and electric PTO is located is starting to peel up. The diesel only had 12 hours when we picked it up and at 30 hours a spring snapped on it....

I really like hustlers and would not really hesitate to buy one, but I am starting to wonder about there build quality..

That clutch wire problem can repeat itself over and over. I carry the pigtails extra for my super z because they fail every year from the heat or something.
I like my Super Z but your friend sounds like he's off to the same start I had. Only mine didn't stop until yr 3 after they fixed everything twice in most cases under warranty. That sounds like a great deal if you need a diesel (to heavy for my lawns). But Hustlers break down a lot...expect it.

ClassicLawnCareInc
06-21-2009, 12:44 PM
yup that price is def correct. And a great deal for a diesel mower. Yes it does have less hp than a 997 yanmar, but they are both 3 cylinder diesel engines and both have great tq. I wouldnt buy a gas engine mower ever again, mostly b/c the diesels have so much power, and really dont weigh that much more.

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 12:55 PM
That's a steal!, and good for you. I agree on the diesel vs gasburner. My bad on the Yanmar specs I thought it was a 4 banger. Us oil burners, Were surly growing in numbers on here you need to jump in on the diesel bashing threads on here:waving: We need to start a diesel only ZTR forum.

yup that price is def correct. And a great deal for a diesel mower. Yes it does have less hp than a 997 yanmar, but they are both 3 cylinder diesel engines and both have great tq. I wouldnt buy a gas engine mower ever again, mostly b/c the diesels have so much power, and really dont weigh that much more.

ClassicLawnCareInc
06-21-2009, 12:57 PM
My Jd 997 diesel wieghs 1774lbs. The biggest gas engine mower ztrack weighs 1439lbs. Ive been checking the different mower websites and it seems that most diesel mowers weigh around 1700 lbs and the gas mowers are around 300 lbs less. 300 lbs of extra weigh is def not a reason not to buy and use a diesel mower. I dont know anyone that has tryed a diesel mower and said "I dont like that" or "I wouldnt use a diesel" lol, they are just the best! In my opinion

DaddyRabbit
06-21-2009, 01:04 PM
The only people that say, "I wouldn't own a diesel" are the people whom can't afford them.

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Your preaching to the choir on that with me:) It's more of a mindset or assumption, the additional cost is the best:laugh:. For us it's just a wise business investment & highly productive commercial mowing equipment, no matter the brand.

My Jd 997 diesel wieghs 1774lbs. The biggest gas engine mower ztrack weighs 1439lbs. Ive been checking the different mower websites and it seems that most diesel mowers weigh around 1700 lbs and the gas mowers are around 300 lbs less. 300 lbs of extra weigh is def not a reason not to buy and use a diesel mower. I dont know anyone that has tryed a diesel mower and said "I dont like that" or "I wouldnt use a diesel" lol, they are just the best! In my opinion

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 01:09 PM
99.9% of Lawnsite then

The only people that say, "I wouldn't own a diesel" are the people whom can't afford them.

MJB
06-21-2009, 02:00 PM

I've used them and like them no doubt, but on many of my lawns 1acre to 2 acres the weight is to much. But thats because I got customers who I never see and they never change their watering habits. I swear the sprinklers run all night before I come in and mow. But both my Exmarks and Hustler don't rut as bad as the deisel Kubota and Lastec I demoed for a few weeks. The Lastec was nice though.

cutbetterthanyou
06-21-2009, 03:46 PM
What dealer did you check with? I didn't know anyone near you sold hustler. I bought mine from Bell Creek in preston 2 weeks ago.It was 10,200 for a 66 with 26hp kaw liquid cooled @ 3.9. I did get a carnival cruise with mine though

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 03:57 PM
I thought nothing sells a Hustler better ,than a Hustler, straight off a Hustler magazine add in Lawn & Landscape!!! why the need for a Carnival cruise thrown in:laugh:.

What dealer did you check with? I didn't know anyone near you sold hustler. I bought mine from Bell Creek in preston 2 weeks ago.It was 10,200 for a 66 with 26hp kaw liquid cooled @ 3.9. I did get a carnival cruise with mine though

tacoma200
06-21-2009, 07:03 PM

I could afford one. or two.

I like Nosparkplugs argument that you can't afford not to own diesel in some situations. But gassers fill an important place in the market.

I may own one some day.

Cons for me: Weight, physical size of the engine means the models have to be modified for the same hp, power to weight ratio. Pay off time for the initial expense is substantial.

Plenty of pros as has been pointed out.

MOturkey
06-21-2009, 07:53 PM
I paid $9,200 for my 260 Gravely a month ago, with an air cooled Kawasaki, so I'd think ten grand for a diesel would be a steal. Last time I checked, the Gravely ran well over $2,000 extra for the diesel option.

I'd buy a diesel in a heartbeat, but don't really think they are worth the extra investment unless your goal is to keep one long-term. I prefer to trade more often, as I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, and don't enjoy working on equipment as it ages, and, unfortunately, the powerplant is not the only thing on a mower that wears out or breaks.

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 08:12 PM
I felt the same way my first three years in business, in fact I wanted a diesel from day one. I listened to everyone else tell me how the ZTR would fall apart while the diesel remained like new. That did not happen in fact I was blowing air cooled engines while the entire ZTR did not cost me a dime in 5 years , so I find myself seing how dealers make money pushing gasburners;because diesels have far less visits to the dealer for repairs. Diesel's hurt a dealers service department.

I paid $9,200 for my 260 Gravely a month ago, with an air cooled Kawasaki, so I'd think ten grand for a diesel would be a steal. Last time I checked, the Gravely ran well over $2,000 extra for the diesel option.

I'd buy a diesel in a heartbeat, but don't really think they are worth the extra investment unless your goal is to keep one long-term. I prefer to trade more often, as I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, and don't enjoy working on equipment as it ages, and, unfortunately, the powerplant is not the only thing on a mower that wears out or breaks.
Posted via Mobile Device

puppypaws
06-21-2009, 08:30 PM

This is one of my little diesels, it runs every Saturday morning for 1 hour whether it needs to or not. If I scrimped and saved real hard I could probably buy me a diesel powered ZTR, if I really wanted one.

cutbetterthanyou
06-21-2009, 09:17 PM
I thought nothing sells a Hustler better ,than a Hustler, straight off a Hustler magazine add in Lawn & Landscape!!! why the need for a Carnival cruise thrown in:laugh:.

It was something the local dealer was trying to do for the month of june to boost sales. He sells exmark ,hustler ,and scag. He contacted them all to see if they would pitch in and hustler said definatly, scag said sure, and exmark he said they called 4 times and can't get a anwswer. so they were just going to front the money thereself.

ClassicLawnCareInc
06-21-2009, 09:49 PM
My local dealer is Bakers power and turf in millsboro de. $9990 for the diesel hustler. I got 0% for 36 mnths through sheffield financial. But like I said earlier the diesels really only weigh 300 lbs more than a gas so thats not that much extra weight. I dont get a fre cruise tho.

johnnybravo8802
06-21-2009, 10:13 PM
It's funny but all last year I heard all these raves about Hustler being the "bomb" and now I'm hearing all negative things about them. I tried out a Super Z 27 Kohler 60" rear discharge two days ago and really liked the rear discharge better than I thought I would. It works great if the ground is dry and the grass isn't too thick-good for industrial plants. I could really see this as an asset in the right conditions. My take on Hustler:It's an ok mower and would be acceptable at best-I could get by with one at a real bargain price but that's the only reason I'm considering one at this point. It's just not a high quality machine and cuts mediocre at best. The speed of the Super Z is the only thing that keeps it in the running but speed isn't really that important when you do mowing for a living and want a quality finished product. Any of the other brands will go fast enough to be productive, give a better cut, and probably be a better machine. The first Hustler rental I got threw the snorkel on the breather off and this last machine was missing a deck cover and two black knobs just after one use. That's not acceptable on a $10,000 machine. My Scag wasn't missing parts when we finished with it. In fact, I've rarely had that happen with any other brand but it's happened with both Hustlers I've run in the last month. I expected better from Hustler-they should have the toughest mower on the market.

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 10:46 PM
I thought for sure it would have been Hustler yellow or a Generac:laugh: I'm sure that is back-up power for your chicken business right??

This is one of my little diesels, it runs every Saturday morning for 1 hour whether it needs to or not. If I scrimped and saved real hard I could probably buy me a diesel powered ZTR, if I really wanted one.

puppypaws
06-21-2009, 10:50 PM
My local dealer is Bakers power and turf in millsboro de. $9990 for the diesel hustler. I got 0% for 36 mnths through sheffield financial. But like I said earlier the diesels really only weigh 300 lbs more than a gas so thats not that much extra weight. I dont get a fre cruise tho.

My dealer told me he had a 60" Super Z with the 25 diesel new in the crate last week for $9299.00.

puppypaws
06-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I thought for sure it would have been Hustler yellow or a Generac:laugh: I'm sure that is back-up power for your chicken business right??

It can run you the entire chicken farm, all sheds, my house and any other houses within a quarter of a mile with that setup. There is $15,000.00 worth of electrical components sitting there. I have never owned any diesel engines in farm equipment but JD for the last forty years. I've had some other makes in trucks.

It's funny but all last year I heard all these raves about Hustler being the "bomb" and now I'm hearing all negative things about them. I tried out a Super Z 27 Kohler 60" rear discharge two days ago and really liked the rear discharge better than I thought I would. It works great if the ground is dry and the grass isn't too thick-good for industrial plants. I could really see this as an asset in the right conditions. My take on Hustler:It's an ok mower and would be acceptable at best-I could get by with one at a real bargain price but that's the only reason I'm considering one at this point. It's just not a high quality machine and cuts mediocre at best. The speed of the Super Z is the only thing that keeps it in the running but speed isn't really that important when you do mowing for a living and want a quality finished product. Any of the other brands will go fast enough to be productive, give a better cut, and probably be a better machine. The first Hustler rental I got threw the snorkel on the breather off and this last machine was missing a deck cover and two black knobs just after one use. That's not acceptable on a $10,000 machine. My Scag wasn't missing parts when we finished with it. In fact, I've rarely had that happen with any other brand but it's happened with both Hustlers I've run in the last month. I expected better from Hustler-they should have the toughest mower on the market.

My Super Z has never given any problems period, the 28 efi Kohler had a seep in the pan gasket which was replaced with a new style. I guess it depends on which one you get off the assembly line, about like everything else American made. Never any parts have come loose or fallen off, it has been indestructible in close to 600 hrs, and I am talking about 600 hrs of 15 mph mowing that would beat you to death on the average mower and shake them apart. There is a lot of difference in what a mower goes through mowing at 15 mph versus 10.

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 11:11 PM
PP, you run a clean ship; although I really expected nothing less. Thats a fine JD diesel, funny thing only us guys or the salesman would get excited over a diesel generator;)

[QUOTE=puppypaws;3056166]It can run you the entire chicken farm, all sheds, my house and any other houses within a quarter of a mile with that setup. There is $15,000.00 worth of electrical components sitting there. I have never owned any diesel engines in farm equipment but JD for the last forty years. I've had some other makes in trucks.

puppypaws
06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
PP, you run a clean ship; although I really expected nothing less. Thats a fine JD diesel, funny thing only us guys or the salesman would get excited over a diesel generator;)

[QUOTE=puppypaws;3056166]It can run you the entire chicken farm, all sheds, my house and any other houses within a quarter of a mile with that setup. There is $15,000.00 worth of electrical components sitting there. I have never owned any diesel engines in farm equipment but JD for the last forty years. I've had some other makes in trucks.

I get pretty excited with a quarter of a million dollars worth of chickens sitting in those houses and the power goes off. Knowing every chicken will be dead in 20 minutes if the automatic transfer switch does not throw, or the engine will not start. If the power goes off, it fires power back up so fast it is like flipping a light switch off and back on as fast as you can.

If for some strange reason the power did not get back into the houses, my alarm system calls four telephones and says the power is off. Nothing is fool proof, you can have something happen such as a main breaker burning out and you would be hard pressed to get everything back working before losing chickens. You talking about something that can cause a heart attack, just walk into one of those houses and see what looks like a lake of dead white chickens. I have been fortunate, but have heard of it happening to many people.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-21-2009, 11:43 PM
lol

i would be suprised to see you have any problems with all the new equipment you have! that machine and the building surrounding it looks like it is only months old! does somthing like that break on you becuase of the heat or conditions often or you were just making a point??? i understand what you meant it all relies on that or half a million dollars will need to be spent on new chickens, or 250000 lost another 250000 to replace them, or more i am sure.

my uncle who owned a saw mill had a setup like that but it wasnt as sophisticated cause it wasnt a life or death type of deal but it was meant to run his saw mill.

i said it before and i will say it again when someon is arround diesel equipment all the time they tend to have gasoline p0wered things that they use themselves personally and you seem to be that way yourself, as my whole family is aswell, a good example is johny my fathers brother owns a pretty good size truck stop sells only diesel fuel but he has never owned a diesel pickup lol i dont know why, he says he just doesnt want one. my father has forty + years working on diesels runnign fleets of cement mixers etc. he never owned a diesel truck he did own volkswagon rabbits that were diesel and cadilac diesel but that was my mothers, no truck though all ford straight 6 engines he had till they blew then he would set another one in and be on his way lol.

lawnproslawncare
06-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Going back to the Hustler diesel post. The company I hire to do my fert and weed control just bought the diesel. Got an awesome price also.
And I don't care what I have for mowers...as long as I can get fast service done right. Thats why I run the equipment I run.
I could care less what company is dethatching one week or who bought the Everride Mower and has to go 25-40 miles to get parts and service.

I am not making money broke down..

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 11:49 PM
That is not always the case through-out the country I know many farmers whom run one fuel, diesel. so just about every engine they own is diesel. I carry more diesel than gasoline myself:)

Like PP said he needs to scrape up some more change for a diesel ZTR thats all. I really, and truly am surprised he is not running a diesel ZTR.

Anything on PP's farm that is truly important is diesel powered

lol

i would be suprised to see you have any problems with all the new equipment you have! that machine and the building surrounding it looks like it is only months old! does somthing like that break on you becuase of the heat or conditions often or you were just making a point??? i understand what you meant it all relies on that or half a million dollars will need to be spent on new chickens, or 250000 lost another 250000 to replace them, or more i am sure.

my uncle who owned a saw mill had a setup like that but it wasnt as sophisticated cause it wasnt a life or death type of deal but it was meant to run his saw mill.

i said it before and i will say it again when someon is arround diesel equipment all the time they tend to have gasoline p0wered things that they use themselves personally and you seem to be that way yourself, as my whole family is aswell, a good example is johny my fathers brother owns a pretty good size truck stop sells only diesel fuel but he has never owned a diesel pickup lol i dont know why, he says he just doesnt want one. my father has forty + years working on diesels runnign fleets of cement mixers etc. he never owned a diesel truck he did own volkswagon rabbits that were diesel and cadilac diesel but that was my mothers, no truck though all ford straight 6 engines he had till they blew then he would set another one in and be on his way lol.

puppypaws
06-22-2009, 12:02 AM
lol

I appreciate the compliment, that generator and building you are looking at is 10 1/2 years old. The inside of all my chicken houses, sheds and buildings are kept up very well, the chicken houses themselves are 21 years old, I grew turkeys before I changed over to chickens. Any thing mechanical and man-made is susceptible to failure, it can happen with a brand new piece of equipment. You do the best you can and try to stay on top of everything, that is all you can do.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-22-2009, 12:16 AM
i never would think that by looking at it! looks like it was installed yesterday to me with just some dust on it! nothing lasts like that where i am. nice ! gotta say for the age thats the nicest i have seen!

puppypaws
06-22-2009, 12:30 AM
i never would think that by looking at it! looks like it was installed yesterday to me with just some dust on it! nothing lasts like that where i am. nice ! gotta say for the age thats the nicest i have seen!

You can see how well kept I am for 60, you don't think I'm going to let my costly property go down, I want bring much on the selling block, the property might.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137216&stc=1&d=1235490257

nosparkplugs
06-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Those wondering if PP is whom he says he is??? here is that picture is he Chad or PP:dizzy:

You can see how well kept I am for 60, you don't think I'm going to let my costly property go down, I want bring much on the selling block, the property might.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137216&stc=1&d=1235490257

DaddyRabbit
06-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Pup, part of what I do is the deign and repair of Automatic transfer switchgear on Generators such as the one you have pictured. We employ Kohler, Sam Brown and Asco and a few older designs. Most of our's must have the "closed transition" bypass feature so that during transfer the potential is kept to a minimum, thereby no lights blink as a result thereof. How many KW is that mean green generator rated for?

puppypaws
06-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Pup, part of what I do is the deign and repair of Automatic transfer switchgear on Generators such as the one you have pictured. We employ Kohler, Sam Brown and Asco and a few older designs. Most of our's must have the "closed transition" bypass feature so that during transfer the potential is kept to a minimum, thereby no lights blink as a result thereof. How many KW is that mean green generator rated for?

110 KW, that is an interesting job you have!

TomberLawn
06-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Just thought I would be the spell-checker on how to spell Shiboro, Shibura, etc. It's Shibaura. The company makes tractors and engines for Case IH and New Holland (the Farmall and Boomer lines) as well as front mowers for New Holland and Hustler.

nosparkplugs, I have a feeling puppypaws could buy any mower he wants, but he likes to go fast. At the time he bought his mower, the Super Z was the only 15mph mower available around here. The diesel Hustler goes 12mph, which is too slow for puppypaws. I know, now you'll say he should get a Bad Boy 35hp Cat because it will go 15mph. Who knows, that might be the next thing after the Hustler gives it up, but as you can see, he is meticulous about maintenance and that mower will last him a long time.

Good pic of you, puppypaws. How long ago was that picture taken? There's 8-9 ft. tall corn now where there are beans in that pic.

tacoma200
06-22-2009, 08:38 AM
I guess farmers dress better in N.C.

puppypaws
06-22-2009, 02:22 PM
I guess farmers dress better in N.C.

Thats funny, you know thats my "Sunday go to meeting clothes"!

Good pic of you, puppypaws. How long ago was that picture taken? There's 8-9 ft. tall corn now where there are beans in that pic.

Last year at about September is when this picture was taken.

ToroLandscaper
06-22-2009, 08:04 PM

I have had a diesel, I can obviously afford one (I paid cash for mine). I probably would not own another one.

I don't know what you're you talking about.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-22-2009, 09:28 PM
I have had a diesel, I can obviously afford one (I paid cash for mine). I probably would not own another one.

I don't know what you're you talking about.

lol its the gassers vs the diesel guys.

i spell shibura like shibuki cause diesels are like goat dukie!:cool2:

newholland and case are the same almost. newholland rocks i live in amsterdam!

farmers arround me are dressed in cow booty it seems and dont let the smell get to far from them no matter what meeting they are going to lol.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-23-2009, 07:27 PM
gotta bump the direct injection up! kohler air cooled diesels are the next big thing i just know it!

ClassicLawnCareInc
06-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Torolandscaper. how come you got rid of your diesel? Im curious as to why. Did you have a bad experiance? I love mine and would never wana go back to a gas engine.

ToroLandscaper
06-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Torolandscaper. how come you got rid of your diesel? Im curious as to why. Did you have a bad experiance? I love mine and would never wana go back to a gas engine.

No bad experiences at all, I had a ZD28 and it was just too big for the stuff I mow, and honestly (and I know I am going to get hounded on this), but I do not really think they are all they are cracked up to be. The diesel was powerful don't get me wrong, but I can not justify the price difference. The power was great, but honestly why wouldn't you just buy a higher horsepower gasoline engine?

Really the only reason I sold the mower was not the engine or the weight, it was the freaking hydro deck lift, I HATED it. I prefer a manual lift deck, because I can slam my foot and lift the deck 100x faster then I can lift the hydro deck.

This is not to say I will never own another diesel, but for now gas is the way to go for me.

I do know the advantages of diesels, and there are some. But for my applications a gas engine seems the way to go for myself.

As far as the cost of the machine, I bought it used from a homeowner with 230 hours on it and got a great deal on it, I did not loose any money on the mower.

ClassicLawnCareInc
06-23-2009, 09:35 PM
ah I gotcha. I guess thats a good reason. but to awnser your question of why not just buy a high horsepower gas engine?...B/c the high hp gas engine still doesnt have the torque of a diesel. I have 3 diesel mowers, 2 john deere 997 31 hp and one hustler 25 hp diesel, I also have a 31 hp gas wright stander and can say that in thick grass the diesels always out perform. The diesels just can cut thicker, wet grass better than a gas engine. Based on my experiance the gas engines just dont seem to do as good of a job. The diesels rarely bog down where as gas engines bog down much easier.

nosparkplugs
06-23-2009, 11:58 PM
I was lucky to get over 1,000 hours out of a Kohler air cooled V-twin gasburner, so while I would be all for the air cooled V-Twin diesel. I think Yanmar or Lombardia would have the best shot at building a reliable high hour diesel air cooled V-twin.

My 2007 Walker MT20 GHS is the newest Kohler V-Twin I have, and the last.:) it has 500hours, and I will be happy if I get a 1,000 hours out of the Kohler engine.

About a year ago I started a thread on the Air cooled diesels, and what I thought their history would be on the lawn care industry.

gotta bump the direct injection up! kohler air cooled diesels are the next big thing i just know it!

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-24-2009, 08:05 PM
kohler makes horizontal air diesel too! they are way low on pwoer numbers for displacement though.

mag360
06-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I was lucky to get over 1,000 hours out of a Kohler air cooled V-twin gasburner, so while I would be all for the air cooled V-Twin diesel. I think Yanmar or Lombardia would have the best shot at building a reliable high hour diesel air cooled V-twin.

My 2007 Walker MT20 GHS is the newest Kohler V-Twin I have, and the last.:) it has 500hours, and I will be happy if I get a 1,000 hours out of the Kohler engine.

About a year ago I started a thread on the Air cooled diesels, and what I thought their history would be on the lawn care industry.

The bigger kohler gassers in full size ztrs will go 2500-3000 hours without major repairs. You may see that in your walker too.

$9900 for the diesel hustler is an incredible price. I can't imagine finding that in pa.

nosparkplugs
06-25-2009, 11:48 PM
I have done my time with air cooled engine's they have their purpose. The only reason I had purchased the Walker model MT with a Kohler is I wanted to make sure the Walker frame could support the little 3 banger Kubota diesel myself. Even at the local Walker Dealer their is an ongoing debate on what the best Walker engine is. I was told when a Walker Md leave's it is almost never seen again, and when the MD diesels come back it is usually owner/operator self inflicted damage

The air cooled Kohler V-Twins are no were close to a diesel in all performance area's, once you go from running a diesel ZTR to a gasburner ZTR daily, you notice the difference the diesel starts with much more enthusiasm for the day, gob's of torque, to say the least. If anything The little Kubota diesels are underrated in their HP/Torque ratings

The bigger kohler gassers in full size ztrs will go 2500-3000 hours without major repairs. You may see that in your walker too.

$9900 for the diesel hustler is an incredible price. I can't imagine finding that in pa.

MJB
06-26-2009, 12:11 AM
I have done my time with air cooled engine's they have their purpose. The only reason I had purchased the Walker model MT with a Kohler is I wanted to make sure the Walker frame could support the little 3 banger Kubota diesel myself. Even at the local Walker Dealer their is an ongoing debate on what the best Walker engine is. I was told when a Walker Md leave's it is almost never seen again, and when the MD diesels come back it is usually owner/operator self inflicted damage

The air cooled Kohler V-Twins are no were close to a diesel in all performance area's, once you go from running a diesel ZTR to a gasburner ZTR daily, you notice the difference the diesel starts with much more enthusiasm for the day, gob's of torque, to say the least. If anything The little Kubota diesels are underrated in their HP/Torque ratings

Both my Walkers had kohler engines and I was lucky to get 1500 plus hrs out of either 1. The heat, and especially the dust really eats em up. Only a diesel stands a chance at surviving in a Walker for 3000 + hrs. But I was sure fast at swapping engines on those. Everytime the starter got dirty I had to pull the engine to remove it....then I figured out a way to blow out the starter every day without pulling the engine and things went better. Don't miss the Walker that much now.:waving: