PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom Compost

ktc
06-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Anyone had any experience using mushroom compost as a topdressing for fescue sod??

Anyone know the cost of mushroom compost??

Briley1975
06-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Im in upstate SC and it is around 32-35/yd. Havent had any exp with it though

ktc
06-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks Briley, do you know the perameters for usage? or how many yards of compost it takes per thousand sq. ft. of sod?

Kiril
06-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks Briley, do you know the perameters for usage? or how many yards of compost it takes per thousand sq. ft. of sod?

Spent mushroom compost is not generally accepted as being a high quality compost, and should be tested. Assuming test results are acceptable, personally I would mix it with other composts if I were going to use it as a top dressing.

How much depends on what you are using it for.

ktc
06-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Spent mushroom compost is not generally accepted as being a high quality compost, and should be tested. Assuming test results are acceptable, personally I would mix it with other composts if I were going to use it as a top dressing.

I was thinking of using it as a humus to mix with the aeration cores, by verti-slicing them together. I was thinking this would create a fair seed bed for broadcast overseeding, which could then be watered in.

Perhaps there is a better product to use as humus??

Kiril
06-21-2009, 01:00 PM
That may be acceptable for a seed bed, but as noted above, you should check test results for the mushroom compost before you decide to use it. You also should get the soil tested to see if the compost needs to be amended.

Typically I recommend top dressing the seed with compost if you are not going to incorporate it. Verti-mowing or a simple power rake will help get the compost into the core holes if you want to take the extra step.

dKoester
12-16-2010, 01:35 PM

Is this because of the pasteurized procedure using steam or its ingredients? Do this steam kill all the microbes?

Landscape Poet
12-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Is this because of the pasteurized procedure using steam or its ingredients? Do this steam kill all the microbes?

I believe that is the reason - but you are still adding "home" for organic matter in your lawn when you apply it.

I have a little experience with spent mushroom compost at it is free here from a mushroom farm. I would tell you that what I have experienced is not very uniform in shape, is light, and does not spread evenly from my experience...so I am not sure that it will be what you are expecting nor offer the initial material density that you are expecting. It does however break down quickly into a smaller particle size one it has been in our environment down here....not sure about your environment...but you are talking to Kiril and he would be the best one to give you further advice on this.

CHARLES CUE
12-16-2010, 02:52 PM
I believe that is the reason - but you are still adding "home" for organic matter in your lawn when you apply it.

I have a little experience with spent mushroom compost at it is free here from a mushroom farm. I would tell you that what I have experienced is not very uniform in shape, is light, and does not spread evenly from my experience...so I am not sure that it will be what you are expecting nor offer the initial material density that you are expecting. It does however break down quickly into a smaller particle size one it has been in our environment down here....not sure about your environment...but you are talking to Kiril and he would be the best one to give you further advice on this.

I agree with Michael It is clump and i find trash in it.

It cost me $30 to $40 a scope.

I find that it is not complete the piles are still warm.

But i think it does a good job. One place i get it have some nice top soil so i mix them 50 / 50

I believe the microbes will come back [ You spread it they will come ] it's not like they were the only ones.

Charles Cue

dKoester
12-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Thank you'll very much for your imputs on this. I seen some videos on how they make it and was curious about the microbe kill. Once again I appreciate your comments, Thanks.

Kiril
12-17-2010, 10:14 AM

More about high soluble salts and the impact on new seedlings.

I would assume that the pasteurization process initially killed just about everything, but you can't really effectively keep out the microbes over the long term.