PDA

View Full Version : Can the Stihl fuel tanks go bad???

Turf Dawg
06-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I know the caps are crap, but what about the tanks. I have replaced the caps on my trimmer and edger before and the new ones worked OK. The last couple of days the cap on my blower has been hard to remove and install, well today I could not get it removed. I ended up breaking it getting it removed so I took the one off of my edger but it would not go on, so I took one off of the back up trimmer and I had to fight it on and off. Has anyone else had this problem? I really think I"m done with Stihl products, I have not bought anymore in a couple of years and do not see me going back to them. The little things like this and the throttle cables breaking where they go across the cam by the primer bulb just chap my arse.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Can someone please get me some cheese to go with my whinnnne.

traman
06-20-2009, 10:00 PM
not sure if they can go bad ,but like you its been extremely hot here ,and am having the same problem with everything ,all my echos and even the mower caps.i have to but a towel on everything to get a good grip.i think they all reached there maximum expansion rate.

topsites
06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I tell you a little trick I learned that helps me remove those POS caps, here is how I do it:

1. Lift the black lever thing.
2. Twist the cap to open but stop there, instead of trying and trying to pull it off...
3. With the cap in the open position Push the black lever thing back DOWN (this creates leverage that should raise the cap slightly).
> Repeat if necessary, until you can see that it did raise the cap a little.
4. Now raise the lever again and the cap comes right off.
> Sometimes it pops off as you raise the lever, either way it breaks that stubborn seal and it SHOULD come off easy.

I do it that way every time anymore.

ed2hess
06-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I tell you a little trick I learned that helps me remove those POS caps, here is how I do it:

2. Twist the cap to open but stop there, instead of trying and trying to pull it off...
3. With the cap in the open position Push the black lever thing back DOWN (this creates leverage that should raise the cap slightly).
> Sometimes it pops off as you raise the lever, either way it breaks that stubborn seal and it SHOULD come off easy.

Tops you are a very smart guy......can you tell us why oh why did you ever buy any of these 4-mix products:hammerhead:

Turf Dawg
06-20-2009, 10:30 PM

I have done that in the past and it helps but right now that is not working and when I put it back on the lever only wants to turn about 3/4 of the way. It wants to stop right before the notch and I am taking pliers and turning it the rest of the way. The trimmers and edger is a pain but the blower is the only one that is doing this.

birdman0494
06-20-2009, 10:48 PM
the stihl caps do detiorate im always bad at explaing things over the internet but it seems liek when the caps get old they dont seat in properley where like lets pretend the cap is a clock right and they should be completley seated around the 8 number but the only seat half way i know I sound stupid its a pain in the ass compared to shindaiwas and husqvarnas, the only other thing that sucks about them is the autocut 2-5-2 head, but overall they are better machines in my opinion

Think Green
06-20-2009, 11:30 PM
TD,
We use the stihl products, and I hate those (lift-twist flat awkward as hell to put back in caps too.) It has been in the 108 deg. range last week. I believe the internal pressure in the tanks has expanded to the point where the fumes are locking the seals. It breaks our fingernails and pops our knuckles to get the darn things off. As far as the machines go, I love the torque of our 4-mix equipment. I have a few pieces of Echo equipment, yet I'd rather not get into their problems........LOL!

Turf Dawg
06-22-2009, 11:54 PM
I went to get a new cap today. Told them I needed one of those POS caps for a Stihl and they said which one. Heck I thought they were all the same but there are several, know wonder the ones off of the 90 did not work. The new one is easy to get on and off, BUT I STILL HATE THEM.

lyube
06-23-2009, 12:57 AM
A drunken crack monkey from Russia designed those caps. I'm convinced of it.

I have never, ever encountered a more hard to use cap than that.

topsites
06-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Tops you are a very smart guy......can you tell us why oh why did you ever buy any of these 4-mix products:hammerhead:

Oh yeh, because either my dealer or the person working there at the time told
me my srm-260s had neared the end of its life, or something to that effect.
So I bought the FS-100rx, but...
I kept the Echo...

Years later I got it running again, and it only took that long because nobody would help,
or I can say nobody had a clue what could be wrong with it, which that's fine here on LS
but not at the dealership.
It ended up being the coil...
Which has a lifetime warranty...
How I got that replaced is another sore spot.

Runs good now, I'm glad I have the FS-100 thou because it does have a LOT more power.
Now one day soon I'll get the FS-85r running again that supposedly had lost ALL compression,
which was the reason why I bought the Echo...
That trimmer has been sitting idle for 7 years, believe that?
I had a time just scaring up all the parts back together.
Soon as I get up the nerve to weld the new muffler on, because the bolts are broke off inside the engine block.

Richard Martin
06-23-2009, 05:38 AM
My BR600 is 4 years old now and this year was the first time I've had trouble getting the cap off. My troubles usually center around trying to get it to stay on. In any case... Yeah, I'm having the same problem when it gets real hot outside.