PDA

View Full Version : Tough decision to make

pequeajim
06-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Ok, I am pretty much sold on the Exmark series with an UltraCut deck. I cut my 3.5 acres of grass 1-2 times a week. I would like to bag some of the time, but do not need to always. I like on the side of a small mountain and most of my yard is rolling with the exception of a 70' x 40' hill at 15 degrees, and a 70' x 50' hill in back at 22 degrees. I have lived with an underpowered mower in the past and do not want to repeat my mistake. I have also cut my property very successfully with a Ventrac (sim to a Steiner) 31 HP.

I am down to two choices:

A local guy who has a 2007 Lazer Z AS with a 25 HP engine and 60" ultra cut deck, bagger and trailer. All for less than the price he paid for just the ZTR at the end of 2007. The mower has 5 hours on it and the guy was going to try to break into the lawn care business when his car was broadsided and he severly injured his back, the the extremly low hours on the machine. I can verify this as he lives 3 miles from me and i recall reading about him in the paper.

The second option is to buy a new Next Lazer Z with either the 29 or 34hp Kawasaki if I feel the 25hp is underpowered. I would be scraping just to buy the mower, no bagger and no trailer. But I have no doubt that it would handle the larger hill going up or down.

I am bringing the 25hp ZTR over here tomorrow to do some cutting with it.

I will be having a local dealer deliver either the 29 or 34HP kaw here later in the week so I can try them also.

Right now my mindset is that if I feel the 25hp with run up and down my larger hill while mowing, it is the better deal as I will get the bagger and trailer for much less than a new (larger) model. If I am unsure, I will end up leaning towards a new model and will have to bag the bagger idea, (sorry, couldn't help that one...)

I would only bag my front yard sometimes, and never the back. So, it will be important that I can get the bagger on and off fairly easily?

Anyway, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I really would like the 25hp to work, but am suspecting that it might not be enough in the long haul.

Anything else I should be looking for when i test drive it? Experiences with the Exmark bagger, (version that dumps from the seat with a lever)

STIHL GUY
06-20-2009, 11:17 PM
the 25hp is a much better deal and it should so fine. i guess you will see when you try it out tho.

pequeajim
06-20-2009, 11:29 PM
the 25hp is a much better deal and it should so fine. i guess you will see when you try it out tho.

Yeah, I am kind of hoping that it will power through my property. I'm not using it for commercial mowing and rarely cut in wet grass, (althogh I would like to have this option if I have to do so).

It is a great deal. and actually, I haveb een wanting a landscape trailer to haul my ATV around on too, so that kind of sweetens things just a bit.

TSF
06-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi Jim
We met when you demoed a PT425 at my place. Remember the hills. I have used a 60" 25hp lazer z to cut here for the last 4-5 years. Way better than the PT. I had one with an ultra vac as you describe and it worked very well. Now I attach a cyclone rake (more capacity) instead. I use the PT for other things but not mowing. Sounds like a good deal.

pequeajim
06-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Boy, thanks for posting! If i recall, you live over by Wagontown? Your hills are very much like mine and if you are satisfied with your 25hp laser Z, then I'm sure I will be with this one too. Btw, I decided to sell my 4in1 bucket, Stump Grinder/Trencher and 60" finishing deck to help fund this purchase. I am of the same mindset in how I will use my PT, no mowing, but keeping it for the utility aspect. I'll let you know how I make out.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-21-2009, 12:08 AM
yeah i would go for the used one! great deal and you wil be happy! most ztr will do waht you need it is all about us jerks saying hich one will do it better! you dont ned the best and the next lazer is priced 3000 more for a reason cause it is one of the best! you will love what your neighbor has and love how much you saved to mow and bag your yard!
a bagger on my next lazer is 2500 i paid 12000 with tax so add that and your at 14500 +, you will be at almost half and have a mower that i wouldnt hesitiate to buy! make sure you dont miss that deal!

djflats
06-21-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm glad to hear this about the 60", 25 hp Lazer Z AS. I looked at one today and I'm going back tomorrow to drive it. That's my concern, will the 25 hp Kohler push the 60" all right. Right now I'm using a CC TANK M48 w/ a 19 hp Kaw and it's under powered. Looking forward to see what you think.