PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for plantings

93Chevy
06-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Starting a job in a couple weeks. I've pondered and wondered, and I don't know what to do in this bed. The other beds, I have no problems with.

My biggest problem is figuring out a foundation planting. The rest will come.

Plants I already have, either leftover from other jobs, or acquired for free, that I would like to use if I could. It is not necessary that I use these plants.

1 Sand Cherry
2 Bird nest spruce
1 Guacamole hosta
2 Lady red athyrium
2 flats pachasandra

The homeowner wants the front of the bed to be pach, but I don't know what to do in the back of the bed. I just need a few ideas for the foundation planting. It's almost full shade, with filtered sunlight. Many thanks in advance.

I know how to prep beds for plantings, I know how to plant, etc. I just need some ideas. :waving:

AGLA
06-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Is the yew staying?

93Chevy
06-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Yes, that yew is staying. They want to keep it, have it cut back a lot, but it's a good foundation plant because it sucks up so much water, even though they're so ugly.

mbarcel
07-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Stop by the local nurseries and check out the shade plants in stock. I would place two skypencil hollys on each side of the front stoop. Two shade tolerant evergreens on each side of the skypencil hollys as a background, with hosta and astilbe scattered in clusters of 3 in the midground, then a little packasandra in the foreground if the bed is wide enough, or else recommend leaving the foreground as an annual flower bed and add some impatiens. Lastly, a nice shade loving small accent tree would look good on the left corner of the house. Not too familiar with the local plants there but ask around at nurseries.

Humble Earth Mover
07-24-2009, 01:02 AM
I would first find out about the basement windows and if it will be an issue to block the light from entering the basement. Also, are there deer on the property? How are you planning on containing the pachysandra?

Before I even start thinking about plant types, I will analyze the space and first determine the constants. Things like the window heights, the basement windows, the yew, the Pachy, those are all constants as they are not going to be changed. After determining that you narrow down the space you have to work with. Next step is figure out where you want your height and/or your specimins. After that comes determining your foundation evergreens. Not specific plants, but where they should go to anchor the space. Then comes color with shrubs and perennials.

Draw out your generic base plan first. After all this, then you start to look at what plants will work with the given conditions.

If you can develop a system and a way to approach each space you design, things will begin to get easier for you. Always try and push the envelope and be creative as possible, but do it within a proven system.