PDA

View Full Version : What precautions to take spraying 3-way/fert mix above 80F in cool season turf

wiseguyslawn
06-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Have to finish up the last little bit of weed control and all week calling for above 80 degree temps, lower the rate or push more gallons per 1000. Thanks

Rayholio
06-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Get up at 6:30 and work til 10... also 6:30pm - dark...

you might be able to get by with spot spraying.. I just would be careful :) It's a terrible feeling to murder a lawn ;)

In shade, you can fudge it a bit.. and my 24d products all say 85 degrees.. and really don't get REALLY dangerous til closer to 90 degrees

greendoctor
06-21-2009, 01:23 PM
That is some good advice. Since it has been getting up to 90+ where I am at. I spray lawns between 7-10 and 4-7. Even then, water volume goes up from my usual 2 gallons to 5 gallons. This is how I work until it gets cool again in November or December. Putting down a mix or even straight fertilizer in the midday sun is not good for the lawn or me either.

xtreem3d
06-21-2009, 03:42 PM
hi guys,
i've only been spraying about a month so i don't know everything but i took the labels that say not to spray above 85-90 to mean at anytime during the day the temps WILL reach 85-90? not so? i have been way behind in spraying just for this reason and now we are calling for 11 days in the upper 90's , heat index 103+. if this isn't the case, what happens differently when i spray at 7am and temps are 75 but 3 hours later they are 90..... or would spray at noon when temps are 90? hope this question makes sense,
tia,
steve

greendoctor
06-21-2009, 03:58 PM
The precautions I take applies to fertilizer and weed control mixes applied broadcast. Liquid fertilizer applied in the midday sun is dangerous in hot weather. Especially if the turf is not on irrigation. Even if turf is irrigated, the physical property of fertilizer to draw water out of living tissues is magnified when a solution is sprayed and it dries too fast. I am also observant of the turf itself. If it is heat or drought stressed for any reason, I apply nothing to it at all. For that reason, all of my lawns are on irrigation. Even the 1/2-1 acre ones.

xtreem3d
06-21-2009, 04:11 PM
just to double check....your saying that the short window from when the chemical hits the turf to after it has dried and potentially pulled water out temps should not be in that 85-90 range (depending on chemical/providing the label states so) ?
steve

RigglePLC
06-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Don't worry about the herbicide. It is the fert that draws moisture out of the grass blade--burn results. Reduce the fert level to 25 percent of usual, or drop the fert altogether. FWIW.

greendoctor
06-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Correct. More important than a temperature is that treated turf not be drought or heat stressed before, during or after application. In my area, there is no such thing as fine turf not on irrigation. The rare exceptions to that, I will only deal with between December and March, where it will not go much above 80 and it is raining regularly.

wiseguyslawn
06-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone. Sprayed 6 yards today got up to about 83. But only sprayed 2 oz. per 1,000 of 4-4-5, and 1.3 oz of three way per 1,000. and everyones yard is irrigated. Just wish I went with a higher water volume but the tank was mixed up from earlier rain delays. Thanks again

xtreem3d
06-21-2009, 06:41 PM
i'd also like to say thanks....i've been putting off herb app's because of heat when i guess i shouldn't have...
steve

redbuckcavs
06-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Last week the forecast was for 1'' rain Wed Night ---1'' inch again on Thurs and a FLOOD warning on Fri. Therefore, I treated 80 lawns (Bluugrass/Ryegrass) with 3 way and Liquid fert mix when the temps were in the upper 80s. The exact amount of rain we received was less than 1/10 of a inch:cry: This week I'll do a drive-by these properties and hope for no damage

kirk1701
06-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Last week the forecast was for 1'' rain Wed Night ---1'' inch again on Thurs and a FLOOD warning on Fri. Therefore, I treated 80 lawns (Bluugrass/Ryegrass) with 3 way and Liquid fert mix when the temps were in the upper 80s. The exact amount of rain we received was less than 1/10 of a inch:cry: This week I'll do a drive-by these properties and hope for no damage

Same problem here (We'll in the past, not this year)

I've learned to look out the window and it it's raining, well rain is in the forecase :laugh:

For June we got 6" of rain and not over yet. 4" above the norms for the year and usually we are 6" behind :confused:

RigglePLC
06-22-2009, 09:06 PM
My opinion--rain that night does not matter. Fertilizer burn happens right away--probably within minutes. Off color--brown later.

Think Green
06-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I let all my cusotmer's know of the temperature precautions. Here in the Delta, it has been in the 108 degree mark with the heat index. We have ceased all blanket applications unless the lawn is watered at least 3 days a week or 1" of water per week. Still, the evaporation potential is higher and volatility is real scarey with 3-way products... We are only spot spraying with spritzer bottles on the troublesome weeds right now. With the heat stress on---most of these weeds are shutting down alot of fluid responses and will be less likely controlled at all. Most of what we are battling is the grassy weeds. They love the heat and are somewhat controlled easier....yet, the burn potential is still high. Ferts are not applied right now unless early in the morning or later in the sunset. Too many variables for a dead lawn right now.