PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Looking bad pics

Bryanh
06-21-2009, 05:38 PM
I am new to this lawn care and the lawn at my mothers house is not looking good right now. I went an put some nitrogen pebbles and followed the instructions about a week and a half ago and it doesnt look like there was any change. Whats the next step? Thanks for your help

The Elements Group
06-21-2009, 09:51 PM
is that or was that Zoysia? if so , looks like zoysia patch and its a fungus

greendoctor
06-21-2009, 10:28 PM
How much water is that lawn getting? I am looking for an inch of water per week, with an upward adjustment if it is hot or dry. Fertilizer does not work without water.

Bryanh
06-21-2009, 11:16 PM
How much water is that lawn getting? I am looking for an inch of water per week, with an upward adjustment if it is hot or dry. Fertilizer does not work without water.

Well I am watering it 2 days a week 10 minutes per watering. Is that not enough?

lawnproslawncare
06-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Negative!
Go like 10 minutes a day minimum...but set up a rain gauge and find out exactly how long it takes to get the required amount

Bryanh
06-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Negative!
Go like 10 minutes a day minimum...but set up a rain gauge and find out exactly how long it takes to get the required amount

Damn well that shows you what I know about lawn care. So i need to set up a rain gauge to see how long it takes to get an inch of water per week? So possibly it could be longer or shorter than 10 minutes? Another question so if I need an ich per week should I break up the watering to get 1/7th inch per day and water everyday that same amount to get 1 inch over the week? Also I water the lawn in sections(due to water pressure issues) so is it safe to assume that if it takes say 10 minutes in section 1 to get an inch of water measure with the rain gauge then I can assume every other section would take 10 minutes to get an inch?

Also I see rain gauges that cost 12 dollars up to alot more. Does it matter which one I get?

Smallaxe
06-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Along with the rain guage to see how much water is coming in, also slice into the soil after watering and see how much actually gets into the ground, at what depth.
You have clay there, correct?

ron mexico75
06-22-2009, 08:48 AM
It's best to water deeply and infrequently. If that means a very long time with many days in between then that's fine. Watering short times every day promotes weak and shallow root systems in the turf.

DiyDave
06-22-2009, 09:19 AM
You don't need a rain guage, use a baking pan and a ruler. Water to the point of runoff, and measure the level in the pan. Should give you a better idea of what's going on.:waving:

Bryanh
06-22-2009, 05:49 PM
You don't need a rain guage, use a baking pan and a ruler. Water to the point of runoff, and measure the level in the pan. Should give you a better idea of what's going on.:waving:

So let me get it straight. Water the lawn until the water is running off the lawn then I need to measure but how do I measure with a baking pan? I assumed that you meant put the pan in the middle of the lawn while watering and see how long it takes to get an inch of water in the pan. Is that correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

DiyDave
06-22-2009, 06:52 PM
bingo! set the pan in a flat area, water an inch, or till it runs off of the lawn. If it runs off before an inch is in the pan, you have some soil problems that may need to be addressed.

Bryanh
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
bingo! set the pan in a flat area, water an inch, or till it runs off of the lawn. If it runs off before an inch is in the pan, you have some soil problems that may need to be addressed.

And I need to do this once a week?
Posted via Mobile Device

DiyDave
06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
All you have to do with the measuring is once, then water the correct amount in one application, if the ground can absorb it in that one application. If not, then you will need to do it more, depends on whether the ground can absorb 1 inch in a continuous application.

Bryanh
06-23-2009, 02:43 AM
All you have to do with the measuring is once, then water the correct amount in one application, if the ground can absorb it in that one application. If not, then you will need to do it more, depends on whether the ground can absorb 1 inch in a continuous application.

And I can tell the ground can absorb the water by checking for run off correct?

DiyDave
06-23-2009, 05:58 AM
That's right.

Bryanh
06-23-2009, 10:18 PM
So I did the pan in the middle of the lawn and after about 15 minutes I had 1/2 inch of water. So I should water for about 30 minutes once a weekto get the inch needed? Now with all the dead spots or yellow spots will it just grow back on its own with all the watering or do I need to add something?