PDA

View Full Version : Hours per week now (curious) + caught up?

americanlawn
06-21-2009, 05:58 PM
1) Wondering how many hours per week lawn/tree "applicators" are working now. Over 40 hours/week? Over 50 hours/week?

2) Are you a "one-man" or "two-man" business? Or do you have several employees? How big is your operation?

3) Are you "ahead" or "behind" schedule right now?

4) How has recent weather affected you?

We're hanging in there. So far, we're on schedule, but with all the rain this year, I expect serious weed prob's along with alot of weed service calls.

rscvp, Thanks. :usflag::canadaflag:

jbturf
06-21-2009, 08:21 PM
we usually start our rnd 3 last week of june,
but were about 1 week behind right now
2 straight weeks of rain
we got tue/wed/fri/sat this week
and its rainin here again today

were pretty much working whenever its not raining right now
not sure on hours--not that it matters to us much

we hate to do a treatment without spot treating weeds, they have been very active and ahead of schedule here this year

but no major complaints, soon it will be hot and dry and a distant thought

Josh

RigglePLC
06-21-2009, 09:35 PM
I am one man band. I am a week behind last year, but even with 2007. Stated Round Three last week. Three inches of rain Friday night.

Heidi J.
06-21-2009, 09:41 PM
I am one man band. I am a week behind last year, but even with 2007. Stated Round Three last week. Three inches of rain Friday night.

Yeah, I heard about the concert in your area and all the flooding. We are a week behind too. I am letting OT slide right now, because I don't want to hear the B**ching. We have been getting a lot of wind and rain delays.. sucks. We should catch up this week. I hope..

group501
06-22-2009, 06:07 AM
We are almost 2 weeks behind schedule. We have had soooo much rain. They are calling for a possibility of rain 3 days this week. Now we are getting the red thread calls. New accounts are getting lots of broadleafs. It is hard to convince some people (mostly new clients) that the rain is what is causing the problems. Round 2 is also starting to become a pia because many properties are getting multiple services. One property we did last week recieved 7 services. Although it is profitable it becomes hard to catch up when making that many applications.

americanlawn
06-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Average hours last week = 38. We started 'round 3' today (five app program), and the heat index reached 105, so I tell all employees to be back by 2:00 (thru the summer months). All my guys will put in less than 36 hours per week until fall. Plus, most will take one or two weeks of vacation. Some have three weeks vacation, but we only allow a max of 2 weeks during the 'production' season.

Hope those who are behind schedule catch up quick. Some friends are nearly 3 weeks behind due to rain days or cuz their "Z-Sprayer's" broke down again". :laugh::laugh::laugh: Just giving you guys a hard time. L :waving:

greenskeeper44
06-22-2009, 07:51 PM
2 man team here.

We were behind due to the rain but have now caught up and are starting round 3 tomorrow of a six step synthetic and 6 step organic.

Had a great spring was very busy with spring seedings and the first 2 rounds.

This is our second year in business and we gained 70 accounts this spring from a 10,000 flyer campaign that we handed out ourselves. About 7,000 were handed out in march to april during our first round. The othere 3,000 were handed out during our second round and havent had as much success. the phone has slowed down alot. we are starting to get some referrals adding about 1 to 2 new customers per week but we need to get to about 250 to 300 for me and my partner this year. Then to 500 by the end of next.

We are up to 190 accounts now and was wondering how you guys marketed during the summer months and fall months to gain more accounts. Also we made alot of money of lawn renovations off a very small marketing campaign about 2000 flyers. When would you start marketing for that as well. Thanks guys for all the info.

I have a turf degree and worked at a top 100 golf course for 3 years but this site has been the most useful for me in learning to operate and grow a business. I dont have much time to post as I would like but just want to thank everyone for all the great advice and info and the entertainment sometimes when theres a heated discussion over z's and t's or organics vs synthetics. :laugh: sorry for the length

TurfRyder
06-22-2009, 09:10 PM
One man team here. Below is a pic of my rig. I work for a company called Lawn Pride of Wisconsin. Most of my accounts cut back to 3 apps this year. I should be finishing up my 2nd round in a couple of weeks. I have been working 40hrs a week with a couple of weeks @ 55 hrs or so. This week high temps are going to be a problem so I'll be working shorter days and weekends. I've worked just about every weekend for the last month or so to keep up. The month of August I'll be with the mowing crews unless we pick up some new accounts.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x220/MasterPlanMan_2007/LPrig.jpg