PDA

View Full Version : roundup ready grass????

lazyike
06-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Why isnt there? shure would make life simple.

greendoctor
06-21-2009, 08:51 PM
NO, NO, NO! As is , I deal with three species of turfgrass that are inherently resistant to RoundUp. Bermuda, seashore paspalum and zoysia are only partially controlled by high rates of RoundUP. Makes it a nightmare to control escapes into hard areas or ornamental beds. It also makes renovation a PITA as well. You should be thankful that bluegrass, fescue and rye are easily killed by it.

Exact Rototilling
06-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm sure if Monsanto thought they could have a monopoly on a specific Genetically engineered desirable turf grass that is Round Up ready just like their Soy bean seeds. They would do it. Then they can send out the goon squad to collect the patent right$ when the grass gradually migrates into the neighbors yard.

Think this sounds crazy? It's not.... this is precisely what they are doing with farmers in agriculture. I've heard the countless nightmare stories of this happening in Canada and the US.

rcreech
06-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Back in 1999 they were working RR Turf along with several other things.

I think it was going to be geared towards the gold course industry.

Shortly after they started...I know they got shot down from someone for some reason but can't remember why.

I have not heard anything about since then.

Not sure if they are still hoping one day or not!

greendoctor
06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
The reason why is the one I was mentioning above. Monsanto was playing with RR bentgrass for golf and RR tall fescue for residential and commercial lawns. I do not know of many other total grass killers besides Basamid, methyl bromide and Vapam that will enable renovation if grass is RR. Sethoxydim and Fusilade are not good replacements either.

DLCS
06-21-2009, 11:08 PM
The reason why is the one I was mentioning above. Monsanto was playing with RR bentgrass for golf and RR tall fescue for residential and commercial lawns. I do not know of many other total grass killers besides Basamid, methyl bromide and Vapam that will enable renovation if grass is RR. Sethoxydim and Fusilade are not good replacements either.

Your right, seems like a no brainer to me.

Farmers are finding that RR corn and beans are a problem, when you do no till planting in the Spring. This year alot of farmers in my area did "no till" due to the late start, with all rain. Spraying roundup before planting does not kill the RR rogue corn and beans, left over from last year.

lawnproslawncare
06-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Some university tried round-up ready bent grass a few years back. I think it got a little out of control...and talk about trying to renovate a lawn and not being able to kill what you want to get rid of! Yikes

lazyike
06-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Yea I guess no matter what you do to make one thing better you end up opening Pandora's box.:wall

lawngreen1
06-22-2009, 12:16 AM
NO, NO, NO! As is , I deal with three species of turfgrass that are inherently resistant to RoundUp. Bermuda, seashore paspalum and zoysia are only partially controlled by high rates of RoundUP. Makes it a nightmare to control escapes into hard areas or ornamental beds. It also makes renovation a PITA as well. You should be thankful that bluegrass, fescue and rye are easily killed by it.

Sorry to disagree with you.

These grasses you refer to are Warm Season Grasses, and if sprayed with Roundup in the cooler months of the year you may not get the Knockdown that you would in the warmer months.

So, if you are wanting to eradicate these grasses, best to spray Roundup in the Spring & Summer when the plant will take up the poison most efficiently.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-22-2009, 12:25 AM
no round up ready grass please

greendoctor
06-22-2009, 12:39 AM
In my location there is no cooler season. Even in summer, those grasses are not killed completely by RoundUp. I have seen renovations sprout the old grass after two applications of RoundUp and the new variety has been plugged or sprigged into the lawn.

rcreech
06-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Farmers are finding that RR corn and beans are a problem, when you do no till planting in the Spring. This year alot of farmers in my area did "no till" due to the late start, with all rain. Spraying roundup before planting does not kill the RR rogue corn and beans, left over from last year.

If one knows the situation ahead of time (which they should) this shouldn't be an issue!

If you KNOW you have RR grass...just don't use Roundup or if you know you planted RR corn....don't spray Roundup. Sounds simple to me!

It is only a problem with not addressed correctly. If one has planted RR crops in the past there are certain chemistries that MUST be added to address this.

Roundup alone would be a problem...but they should know of this issue. This is our 6th year for RR corn and beans and we are 100% no-till. NO ISSUES when you know what you are dealing with.

americanlawn
06-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Same in our farm RC (NW Iowa, corn/soybeans)

As far as Roundup-Ready turfgrass....ISU has been working with manufacturers in recent years. So far nothing concrete.

Think Green
06-22-2009, 08:16 PM
The very minute that we sit here and speak of this subject, some scientist: at some bioindustry is working on the idea to make a buck. It seems that this idea might have its benefits in some growing situations, and obvious even worse benefits in other growing rhelms.
Man keeps giving and taking away this growth hormone and that hormone till the host has become tollerant to the tests.
With todays multi-billion dollar industry of transporting material, such as seed--specialty plants,etc. it is impossible to keep the biotypes from cross-breeding or entering into growing media's. The remark of Pandora's box has been broken by several occasions with other ideas like Kudzu--Ground hog's(Introduced here in the south)--The Falcon(used to control certain unwanted birds here in the south)--Parasitic wasps and other insects to control another in hopes to eradicate the problem... The problem is there is no solution! The solution becomes the problem!! The Alligator was introduced into norther Arkansas lakes to control the beaver. The problem was eliminated after about 5 years as the beaver left the areas. What was the new problem now??.........damn alligator's eating offsite animals for food.........another one of man's stupid attempts to correct a natural balance. At present time, I can see no need for the study nor the money spent on the production of a RR ready turfgrass.

RigglePLC
06-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I think I have heard Scotts had developed a Roundup ready bentgrass for golf course greens. Just spray it to kill the poa annua--problem solved. And fortunately, the Roundup ready stuff was easily killed by Fusilade, glufosinate or Diquat. Not sure if it was sterile or perhaps it didn't procuce much seed.

rcreech
06-22-2009, 09:44 PM
I think I have heard Scotts had developed a Roundup ready bentgrass for golf course greens. Just spray it to kill the poa annua--problem solved. And fortunately, the Roundup ready stuff was easily killed by Fusilade, glufosinate or Diquat. Not sure if it was sterile or perhaps it didn't procuce much seed.

I would be surprised if Scotts would do this alone especially with all the RR patents and R and D they have. Monsanto would definitly be involved somewhere if not the driver (using Scotts to get to the market) IMO...but I don't think RR Grass has or ever will make it.

Think Green
06-22-2009, 10:45 PM
That is the problem, it will be produced--introduced and millions of homeowner's will flock to the stores to by RR fescue-rye-bluegrass--Bermuda---Zoysia. It will be in there mindset of killing broadleaf and unwanted grass's like Crab-goose-poa-dallis-and sedges.
Clover-violets-pennywart-oxalis may be other weeds that will cause a sigh of relief to the consumer market. There will be a flood of (roundup spray bottle yielding consumers) running around like John Wayne with spray bottles as concealed weapons on their lawns. LOL!!! The problem with the general consumer is they don't fully understand the uses of round-up in their gardens and lawns. Any further attempt to influence the use will only cause more problems. I am waiting for the day,,,,,,that RR plants--trees--annuals are designed--engineered for use. It will become a day that we will not be able to kill weeds at all. Remember the meaning of a true weed--Is anything living or growing in a place where it is not wanted! It is a Pest!!

GravelyGuy
06-22-2009, 11:46 PM
It sure would make mixing the tank easy.