PDA

View Full Version : Edging mulch?

Ryall Landscaping
06-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I have never edged a bed of mulch before. Can someone please explain to me the easiest way to do so? I DO know what it is, but have never had to do it.

Will a flat shovel do the job? How deep do I cut it? Straight cut? Angled?

Also, how do you guys do your pricing on edging? We're charging 68/yard for the delivery/installation. Should I charge extra for clean-up (hourly rate maybe)?

Mowbizz
06-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I have never edged a bed of mulch before. Can someone please explain to me the easiest way to do so? I DO know what it is, but have never had to do it.

Will a flat shovel do the job? How deep do I cut it? Straight cut? Angled?

Also, how do you guys do your pricing on edging? We're charging 68/yard for the delivery/installation. Should I charge extra for clean-up (hourly rate maybe)?

I like to angle the cut myself but I have seen many straight cut edges that look good too. The main thing is getting a good, even edge all around the bed. A flat shovel will work and they have specialized tools (edge hog) which I have, that are heavier than a shovel and make it easier to punch through a hard pack soil...I usually, make a trip around the bed with the stick edger to get my "line" (on a new or badly eroded edge) then follow with the edge hog to clear the strip of dirt and blend it into the bed where the new mulch will cover it up. A deeper, edge will endure and be a bit easier to maintain than a shallow edge. A shallow edge will collect rain washed mulch and eventually fill up more so than a deeper edge. Be careful of irrigation lines hiding beneath the bed too...had a gardener chop one in half on my GF's house recently when he was trying to clean up an bed edge where he was working...the water lines were only 4-5 inches deep in that spot.
I will charge $40-50/hour for edging and spreading mulch. If you providing the mulch and all the service that goes with the installation, you should figure "clean up" into your "per yard" rate too don't you think?

It's not rocket science, so a careful hand with the shovel and a good eye for the lines and you'll do great.

Ryall Landscaping
06-22-2009, 12:20 AM
I like to angle the cut myself but I have seen many straight cut edges that look good too. The main thing is getting a good, even edge all around the bed. A flat shovel will work and they have specialized tools (edge hog) which I have, that are heavier than a shovel and make it easier to punch through a hard pack soil...I usually, make a trip around the bed with the stick edger to get my "line" (on a new or badly eroded edge) then follow with the edge hog to clear the strip of dirt and blend it into the bed where the new mulch will cover it up. A deeper, edge will endure and be a bit easier to maintain than a shallow edge. A shallow edge will collect rain washed mulch and eventually fill up more so than a deeper edge. Be careful of irrigation lines hiding beneath the bed too...had a gardener chop one in half on my GF's house recently when he was trying to clean up an bed edge where he was working...the water lines were only 4-5 inches deep in that spot.
I will charge $40-50/hour for edging and spreading mulch. If you providing the mulch and all the service that goes with the installation, you should figure "clean up" into your "per yard" rate too don't you think?

It's not rocket science, so a careful hand with the shovel and a good eye for the lines and you'll do great.

Well, I figured the clean-up of the mulching, but the edging would create quite a bit of excess dirt to clean up, right?

How deep is a decent edge? 2-3 inches? What is a stick edger? Sorry for all the questions..I tried to search this stuff..Didn't find too much.

White Gardens
06-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Excellent Post MowBiz. That's just about the same way I tackle edges.

I prefer the strait, non angle edged. It makes it easier to take a string trimmer on it's side and edge the bed a week or two later.

I also use my trimmer when I'm done cutting an edge to clean up any grass leaning back into the bed that I didn't get with the shovel.

A stick edger is a side-walk edger on the end of a trimmer. They are great for getting a good line to follow when you use your shovel.

Yes, you will have dirt, and sometime you'll have a lot. If you can, try to grade it back into the bed before you lay your mulch, or remove it if there is too much. Sometimes that dirt comes in handy when you need to lightly grade beds next to buildings.

Big C
06-22-2009, 10:27 AM
A shovel ....muscle and sweat is what I use

JNyz
06-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Just use a spade. When applying the mulch, the mulch only comes up to the bottom of the edge, keep it off of the clean edge. This will make the edge stand out.

Ryall Landscaping
06-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Just use a spade. When applying the mulch, the mulch only comes up to the bottom of the edge, keep it off of the clean edge. This will make the edge stand out.

Would it be better to mulch FIRST and then edge the beds afterwards? So that no mulch gets into the edge? Or almost none?

Thanks a ton guys.

lawn crafters
06-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Would it be better to mulch FIRST and then edge the beds afterwards? So that no mulch gets into the edge? Or almost none?

Thanks a ton guys.

NO bad idea then you will have dirt ontop of mulch

Ryall Landscaping
06-23-2009, 12:14 AM
NO bad idea then you will have dirt ontop of mulch

Ohh. I was going to haul the dirt away since there is existing mulch. Is it better, even if there is already 1 to 1 1/2 inches of mulch already, to lay the dirt down over top of it then re-mulch over it?

Is it possible to come back and edge a bed after mulching? Just get rid of the dirt (Ex: haul it away)?

Sorry for so many questions :laugh:. Just trying to learn a thing or two.

JNyz
06-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Don't worry about the old mulch. This is the order you should follow. Weeding, trim shrubs, edge, apply weed preventer, install mulch. Never edge last.

When I say this please don't take it the wrong way, I am not bashing you. This is the perfect example of someone who is in the business and is not qualified or experienced enough. It will take you sometime to learn the tricks of the trade by figuring it out by yourself. You are on the right step by asking questions first but I do not think it will be enough. You need to work for someone first, a company that is profitable and estabilished. You will learn more in two weeks then you could learn in 1 full year working for yourself. Good Luck.

Ryall Landscaping
06-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Don't worry about the old mulch. This is the order you should follow. Weeding, trim shrubs, edge, apply weed preventer, install mulch. Never edge last.

When I say this please don't take it the wrong way, I am not bashing you. This is the perfect example of someone who is in the business and is not qualified or experienced enough. It will take you sometime to learn the tricks of the trade by figuring it out by yourself. You are on the right step by asking questions first but I do not think it will be enough. You need to work for someone first, a company that is profitable and estabilished. You will learn more in two weeks then you could learn in 1 full year working for yourself. Good Luck.

No offense taken. I was planning on working for a landscaper, but it didn't work out and I ended up doing it with me and a friend. We have known how to do just about everything so far, however I have never edged a bed. He knew how to he claimed, but I'd rather ask and be sure.

Thank you.

JNyz
06-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Great. I think I know how to do everything too. But I know I don't.

Ryall Landscaping
06-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Great. I think I know how to do everything too. But I know I don't.

Woah. Hold on. I didn't say I knew everything..That wasn't what I meant by that.. I just meant that of the jobs we've done so far, I've been fine..So I do know SOME stuff. I don't know probably half of what I could know in this industry. I just know what I do because I did grow up doing a good bit of yard work/mowing and such.

I edged a house today. The customer was very pleased. It was easier than it sounded (although a lot of work in the heat).

Thank you for explaining it to me earlier.

JNyz
06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Woah. Hold on. I didn't say I knew everything..That wasn't what I meant by that.. I just meant that of the jobs we've done so far, I've been fine..So I do know SOME stuff. I don't know probably half of what I could know in this industry. I just know what I do because I did grow up doing a good bit of yard work/mowing and such.

I edged a house today. The customer was very pleased. It was easier than it sounded (although a lot of work in the heat).

Thank you for explaining it to me earlier.

Sorry about that, a little ahead of myself.

Good Luck

Ryall Landscaping
06-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Sorry about that, a little ahead of myself.

Good Luck

It happens.

Thanks.

Whitey4
06-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Let me ask a slightly different question.... the bed is mulched, and installed properly.

NOW, how do you edge this mulched bed as part of weekly maintenance? I want a clean line, so I use a stick edger, and blow whatever mulch lands on the lawn back into the bed. Is there a better way?

Mowbizz
06-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Let me ask a slightly different question.... the bed is mulched, and installed properly.

NOW, how do you edge this mulched bed as part of weekly maintenance? I want a clean line, so I use a stick edger, and blow whatever mulch lands on the lawn back into the bed. Is there a better way?

If the mulch is installed correctly (tapered off to the bottom of the trench so it just meets the bottom) Your edger blade shouldn't even contact the mulch while doing weekly maintenance...but if the mulch gets in the way of the edger blade, you kinda have to blow or rake the mulch back into the bed. Most homeowners that install their own mulch do this...just gotta work around it.

ohiogreenworks
06-26-2009, 10:20 PM
For new edging, I use a spade shovel and some time....little bit of an angle and about 3 inches deep. Seems to work out great just did a whole bunch of it today actually! I try to go along the present grass line so I don't have a lot of grass and I put the dirt and I dug out back into the bed, just break it up a little....

After that, maintain the edges with an extra every week or so...:cool2:

BuckeyeSC
07-23-2009, 06:04 PM
I use a Edge Hog Trencher to get my line, then follow with a shovel as mentioned before. Every couple weeks I go around the edge with a string trimmer to keep a clean line (cleaning out the cut grass afterwords).

White Gardens
07-23-2009, 09:11 PM

If my bed edges are defined, all I do is use my string trimmer at a 90* to keep the edge clean. I do a 1000 feet of this in 1 hour, and I do mine in my 2 week maintenance schedule. Every now and then I might have a section that has eroded or filled in and it usually takes no more than 5 minutes with a shovel. It works really good when the dirt is dry also.

I dug this edge with a shovel in April, and have only used my trimmer on it since.