PDA

View Full Version : permagreen

RigglePLC
06-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I have an old Permagreen Ultra. Last week it started making a chirping squeak sound at times. Only when moving. I cannot locate the source of the sound, but possibly it is from the front wheels or near there. So...I found the rubber oil filler plug on top of the tranny--and added about 1/3 bottle of gear oil.
Anybody know how much to add or how to check this? Source of squeaks? It is running OK--but--5 dollars for gear oil is a lot easier than a new tranny.

turf hokie
06-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Mine started doing that a while ago. We found the roller bearing on the rear tires were shot.

RigglePLC
06-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Lifted (with difficulty) the rear wheels spin--no squeak. So i suspected the front transaxle bearings.
No more squeak afer I added the 90 wt oil. Hope that cures it. And for good.

Runner
06-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Take into consideration, that they may not squeak when the machine is lifted and pressure is off of them. Much like a wheel bearing in a car.

RigglePLC
06-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Permagreen Ultra. Spotted oil leaking out onto the carrier. Left side axle seal or something near there is leaking. I added 90 wt gear oil. It works Ok for the time being.

turf hokie
06-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Keep an eye on it if it is a seal or close the end (wheel) of the transaxle. I had one leaking and did not get it to the mechanic quickly enough and now hope that we did not ruin the transaxle.