PDA

View Full Version : Dry Creek Bed Construction

VO Landscape Design
06-22-2009, 11:22 AM
A client wants a dry creek bed in their yard. It starts out about 6' at the top and 10' at the end and 41' long. I know the basics of design but am having problems with the amount of rocks for it. With the different size on the bottom building up to larger on the top is there a easy way to figure out approx. how much of each? It will be about 12" deep at the deepest part.
I am thinking Rock A (the smallest) at about 300 sq.ft. X 2" depth = 600sq.ft. Plus another 82sq.ft. X 10" depth = 820sq.ft.for the deepest part. Rock B (larger) at 208sq.ft. X 3" depth = 624sq.ft. Rock C (largest) at 129sq.ft. X 2" depth = 252sq.ft.
I hope this is clearer than it sounds to me.
Here is a picture of the area. The shaded area is where they would like it.
Thank you
VO

shade tree landscaping
06-24-2009, 08:49 PM
make sure to use large stone! If not after the first good rain storm the water and pitch of hill will have majority of rocks at bottom of the hill. Water from rain storm has more moving force that you would think.

mdvaden
06-24-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm beginning to treat these now as drainage too - or horizontal cisterns.

Digging more underneath, to contain a concealed drain pipe. Keeps the water from puddling.

Did one once as a cistern / drywell. Dug it about as wide underneath, Two rows of pipe deep and about 8 rows of pipe wide. Covered with mesh, then rock.

Worked so well, that water rarely seeped from the end. Was not on a real steep hill, but did have to take the water from a mid-size concrete driveway too.