PDA

View Full Version : GRANDSTAND Decks and HP

SMALLTIME22
06-22-2009, 01:07 PM
I am looking into the new Grandstands and have some questions. My dealer had a 19/52 for demo and either the 19/52 or 19/48 would most likely be my purchase since I assume the extra 4HP for the 23 Kaw is at least 1K and out of my range. Again, I have not even seen in person or demoed anything yet.

-I have only seen picks online of the 52". The rear wheelbase is wide and for good reason. How much trim is available on the 48" deck. Does the deck overhang the rear wheels at all? Even if they are at the same width I doubt this would be much of a problem due to the compact design but I just need to know.

-I know the Turbo Force is a great deck but is the 19 Kaw enough for the 52? In flat, dry, 5-7 day growth I'm sure that 15hp would be enough. But to take advantage of the Turbo Force and all that it is capable of.....does the 19 Kaw sell it short?

-Is there any sort of vac system being considered for design? I know trac vac has a setup for standers but I wonder if this would work on the Grandstand due to the engine sitting further up on the unit. Has always been my single problem with standers since I do not own a ZTR - I would be getting nowhere with leaf cleanups going from a w/b to a stander. Something similar to what trac vac has but with a shorter and slightly wider container could work....maintain visibility and lose only a little capacity.

I really want to demo one but my dealer will only allow a 24hr period and I am at the day job until almost 4pm usually. I would like to get the unit on different locations and conditions but I doubt 4-5 hours will make up my mind

The Toro Company
06-22-2009, 03:28 PM
SMALLTIME22 - Thanks for your email.

In many applications the 19hp engine is more than adequate, but a demo is recommended just to be safe. The 23hp really becomes important if you are primarily mulching, are mowing in a part of the country where turf grows 1" overnight, maintain properties where the turf is typically long and wet when mowed, or are mowing on properties with a lot of hills. Just so you know, keeping all else equal it will cost you approximately $400 more to move up from 19hp to a 23hp.

The blade tip of the 48" TURBOFORCE deck extends approximately 1/2" beyond the outer drive tire dimension, resulting in the outside dimension of the deck shell being offset by about 1". You can tack on about 2 more inches of trim/offset for the 52" deck.

Currently we only offer a side catcher for the GrandStand, but we are looking into additional bagging solutions for the future. Many customers we've heard from are using a catcher called the Accelerator (do a google search)and they report having good success. The folks at TracVac are also working on a mounting system for the GrandStand, but we don't have details or timing to share.

I'd suggest that you let your Toro Commercial Dealer understand your demo requirements and your work hour constraints to see if he won't let you keep the demo unit for an extra few hours. Most dealers are pretty flexible if they feel you're being straight up with them. Good luck.

SMALLTIME22
06-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks Toro - I just spoke with dealer today and they are getting back to me on the demo issue that I have. Regarding the other questions, they had the same input. You are all on the same page....sell the 52/23. Seriously though your response makes sense.

rlong97150
06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
The Grandstands have 2 rear wheel positions. On the 48, they are on the narrow setting. On the 52, they are on the wide setting. I demoed the 48 and bought the 52. I had the dealer move the wheels in on the 52 to give a better trim side. Doesnt affect stability at all and gives a slightly better trim side than the 48.

Hope that helps

Bob

SMALLTIME22
06-23-2009, 12:43 PM
rlong - Did you go with the 19 or 23 Kaw? How has it been so far?

rlong97150
06-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I ended up with the 23/52 because he didnt have any 19/52's on hand. I am very happy with it. Only have about 20 hours on its as its a niche mower for me. Use it mainly on steep inclines and ditches or when I need a third mower running. You cannot get these stuck or bog them down. We have had a very wet spring/early summer so we are either mowing puddles or tall grass. I am a big boy (6'6, 275) and I find it comfortable and not nose light. You just need to know how to shift your weight around. That and when to step off the mower when the incline is too steep. Seems like folks love em or hate em. I am in the love em camp.

Thanks

Bob

SMALLTIME22
06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks Bob,
I assume this is a niche mower because you have ZTR's also? I am again waiting for dealer response before a demo so I am still just asking questions....
How does the mower handle at higher cutting speeds compared to a ZTR? Is it comparable or more like running a sulky on a W/B? My W/B skips all over when I really get going and I often find myself slowing down to almost walking speed. I want a better cut AND more efficiency (obvious) if I am paying this price, the results better be there.

rlong97150
06-24-2009, 10:19 AM
I also have a 25 kubota with a 72 inch deck and a 44 inch hydro walkbehind. Both are Toro. I have both small residential and large commercial properties. The 72 is only used on the large commercial and farm lots and I use mainly the wb for the in town residential lots. I my partner isnt with me, sometimes I will use the Grandstand in town. I have never been able to successfully use a sulky. Its not comfortable and I cant seem to keep the speed up. Grandstand is easy to run wide open even on uneven or very rough terrain. Keeps a straight line under the worst conditions. Not nearly as quick as a ZTR but night and day to a walkbehind.

BTW, I am only a part time cutter. I mow evenings and weekends. We do mow about 26 acres of large properties and 10 or so smaller yards.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Bob

SMALLTIME22
06-24-2009, 12:52 PM
rlong -
I am also a part time guy with similar accounts and am concerned that another purchase may not be justified this year but you're telling me what I want to hear....hahaha. I assume that you feel its much more productive than your w/b? Do you feel that it handles tight corners and slopes as well as a w/b? Thanks for the input and good luck in the future

rlong97150
06-24-2009, 01:01 PM
I think it handles inclines as well or better than the wb due to the added weight of the rider. I am completely amazed by its handling and cut. I am very happy I bought this rather than a smaller ztr. BTW, my price was 7,050.00 plus tax for the 23/52. I have heard a lot of people getting taken to the cleaners on these.

Thanks

Bob

Croat
06-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I purchased Timecutter 4220 with the 21 Kohler about four months ago. Since the first time I used it, I have had problems with clumping. I've tried to eliminate every possible reason this may be occuring: grass is not wet, grass not too high, cut is not too close (I can actually cut the very next day after a cut and still have the clumping issue).
I called my Toro dealer and he gave me the stock answer that the grass is too wet and did not have any idea what else it could be.
Any help on what I could do to correct the problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

Croat
06-25-2009, 02:08 PM
sorry wrong section

TXNSLighting
07-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I think it handles inclines as well or better than the wb due to the added weight of the rider. I am completely amazed by its handling and cut. I am very happy I bought this rather than a smaller ztr. BTW, my price was 7,050.00 plus tax for the 23/52. I have heard a lot of people getting taken to the cleaners on these.

Thanks

Bob

Wow now thats a great price! Ive seen some people pay $7500 for the 19/52..I cant wait til next year! Ill be getting one of these!