PDA

View Full Version : Just Getting Started

PtBrynes808
06-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey, guys. I'm new to the site, and i guess to the business of lawn care all together. I run my own Small (very small) lawn care business around my neighborhood and ones close to mine. All i really want is a kick start. As of now, i only have three customers, and want to expand as much as i can. I'm still in highschool. I hope that doesn't keep any of you from replying. I need some advertising help. I've put up flyers, made phone calls, everything. I just need a little help. My business' name is Cutting Edge lawn care. Just a simple mowing, trimming kind of business. I've gotta start somewhere. I'm sure y'all can understand that. Well, anyone got any ideas???

airsoftamazon
06-22-2009, 11:54 PM
I've done all that you've mentioned. None of it worked for me. Not saying it wouldn't work for you. Everyone's story is different. I can pass out fliers all day long, knock on doors, and not a call or reply will happen. It happened to me. But some Joe down the road can do the same thing and get business all day long. My business came from, believe it or not, just riding my rig (truck and trailer loaded) to the corner store for a soda, or just driving down the road. Also, just cutting grass in a client's property is advertisement. The neighbors will notice and in time (time being the key word) they will come. It always works that way. But it doesn't happen overnight. You MUST be patient. If this is the business for you, you will keep it going and in time you will succeed as long as you work hard and present yourself professionally. I know that you mentioned that you are still in school, but I would get pointers from old timers or work for them. My advantage was that I've been in the military for a number of years, managed in a few high visibility jobs. I understand how things work in the professional world and that translates in how I run my lawn business. Hope that kinda helps.

J & D Greens
07-24-2009, 10:56 PM
If you are still in High School, I would limit the number of lawns you take on. Do about 5 lawns it should take less than a day and learn to do them very well. ( those lawns are you best means of advertising you have!!!! and most of the time if you have someone who is interested they are not far away from where you already are working) That would be a nice chunk of change without tying up a lot of time. If you can come across some commercial mowers, trimmers, edger,......... while you do this it would help you do them quicker and prepare you for when you are out of high school if you decide to make this your living. I am sorry but I can't see working to hard though High School. Money is nice to have but those years you don't get back. That is why I think doing lawns is a great way for you to make some money (I stick a # of yards that would put some good spending money in your pocket and enjoy being young)with out being tied to a after school job that limits what you can be doing with all you friends. That is what I would do if I could get those days back. Buy the way door hangers worked pretty well for me. Mine where worded very simple but did make the customer think of all the work I would be taking off their hands, I think that helped break the ice with the ones that responded. Good luck with your Biz. David

LandscapeSavannah
07-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Do good work and it will all come to you. You don't want to get too big too fast.