PDA

View Full Version : need some advice!

gwoodcutter
06-22-2009, 10:21 PM
i got back into mowing yards this year after having been laid off from 2 pretty good jobs. I'm up to about 20+ yards and feeling pretty good. Naturally i want more, around 40-60 by next year. So the other day this guy pulls over and ask if i would be interested in cutting a hotel property. He knows the current LCO is about to be fired and he is going to submit a bid on my behalf to take care of the place. All he wants is 5% of the income. No problem. First of all i've never done much commercial business, so i'm not used to estimating man hours, overhead, etc... i have normally done residential yards. I want to do this to increase my exposure, income, and just as important, my experience! He has also mentioned that he knows of some hotel renovations that are going to need some landscaping. i'm gonna be honest and say i don't know alot about that end of the biz. I'm comfortable with saying, 'no, i can't do that, sorry.' But like i said, i want to get better!
My question is are there any tutorials, videos, website, (here even) that can help me at all, or should i hire some people to work for me that knows more than i do, or should i just turn this kind of stuff down?
Sorry so long, but i really want to get better at this business and really like what i do. i just need some of you to point me in the right direction! looking forward to hearing some good advice! thanks.

White Gardens
06-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Sounds like the guy wants to sub-out the jobs and take a little off the top.

Nothing wrong with that, especially if it makes you money.

Be careful though, he might have burned through all the other LCO's in the area by not paying them and you might be the next chump on the list.

Start reading up on landscaping and just start educating your self. Take a few classes at the local JC, that always helps. Also check around for some hort clubs and organizations such as the Master Gardner's course at your local extension office.

AGLA
06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
There is something wrong with it. This is a common practice by scumbag property managers. They get paid to get the best bids and instead they find someone that will pay them. Another thying they like to do is lead you on with bigger greater future work so that you will bid even lower.

If he screws others, he will screw you!

Stillwater
06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I would not give anybody 5% of anything....

Stingray63
06-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I would not give anybody 5% of anything....

I second that thought. Beat the guy at his own game. If you feel comfortable, bid the property yourself! When I first started out, my socalled former friend wanted 30% off the top from jobs he gave me. I told him to stick his offer up his a**! It doesn't take a genius to see who would be making the money.

Stingray

gwoodcutter
06-23-2009, 10:23 PM
i appreciate the feedback. Actually the guy has mentioned several times about future jobs he might have for me. I'm supposed to meet him tomorrow to talk with the property mngr. The hotel is actually a very, very nice establishment. it is where all the entertainers are put up when they come to town. i'm trying to not be naive and think the mgr. might not do something screwy, so i'm going to go in to it very wary. again, i appreciate the input and hopefully i have some good news to report. thanks again!:waving: