PDA

View Full Version : Bluestone patio question

RyanDe680
06-23-2009, 04:31 PM
I will be putting down a roughly 20' x 23' bluestone multi-color natural cleft patio.

I'd like to have my joints match this color:

https://www.stonelocator.com/images/stone/PFullColorFlagstonePatio.jpg

I want to use some type of polymeric sand to bind between the joints while at the same time not having a white film (or similar coating) develop while I am applying the mortar.

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the color lighter as I think it shows more of the variation in colors.

Thanks.

Bru75
06-23-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't understand. Are you using polysand or mortar?
If you're saying polymeric sand over mortar, that's a no-no.

Danscapes
06-23-2009, 10:03 PM
only mortar on those jobs bub.:nono:

bigslick7878
06-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I don't understand. Are you using polysand or mortar?
If you're saying polymeric sand over mortar, that's a no-no.

I think he is equating poly sand to mortar and thinking they are the same.....which of course they arent.

I don't know of any white poly sand like that usually just tan or grey.

In that picture it is pigmented mortar,not poly sand.

You can use poly sand it doesnt have to be mortar,but again I dont know how you are going to find white.

RyanDe680
06-23-2009, 11:16 PM
I want to use whatever will make it look like that picture.

I've searched and searched, I can't seem to find anyone who has used something of that color OR who has acheived that color.

I was thinking that polysand was my only option between the bluestone, given a 1/2" or less gap in between the stones and that I could add some type of additive or pigment.... ;)

bigslick7878
06-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I want to use whatever will make it look like that picture.

I've searched and searched, I can't seem to find anyone who has used something of that color OR who has acheived that color.

I was thinking that polysand was my only option between the bluestone, given a 1/2" or less gap in between the stones and that I could add some type of additive or pigment.... ;)

You cant pigment poly sand.

Only colors I know of are tan and grey.

Again,that is mortar in the picture,not poly sand.You will need to mix the morter and add pigment to make it white.

You will also need to pour a concrete bed for the blue stone to sit in,you cant mortar the joints over a typical sand base.....it has to be a concrete foundation.

RyanDe680
06-24-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm opting for the polysand then, since i will not be using a concrete bed....

Bru75
06-24-2009, 12:36 AM
You could try the sandlock additive that pavetech sells ( www.hardscapeoutfitters.com ), and mix it with white sand.

bigslick7878
06-24-2009, 12:48 AM
You could try the sandlock additive that pavetech sells ( www.hardscapeoutfitters.com ), and mix it with white sand.

Good idea.

Never used the additive just bought the straight sand.

Have you ever used it??

I actually have a blue stone patio I did when I was 18 and didn't know about poly sand ,that I put just black sand in the joints I want to switch.

I might try that stuff because the white joints does do look the best against the blue stone.Dont know where I can find bags of white sand around here though.

Stillwater
06-24-2009, 04:51 AM

Stillwater
06-24-2009, 04:54 AM
Good idea.

Never used the additive just bought the straight sand.

Have you ever used it??

I actually have a blue stone patio I did when I was 18 and didn't know about poly sand ,that I put just black sand in the joints I want to switch.

I might try that stuff because the white joints does do look the best against the blue stone.Dont know where I can find bags of white sand around here though.

A well equipped tile store.

RyanDe680
06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
That's a good idea.

Getting it though for me (I'm in IL) is going to be a pain. I'm pretty sure I know of a good place to obtain white sand, but then again, given that I had to purchase the bluestone from a PA quarey as well.............

What border would you guys recommend for this? In reading, I know A LOT of people are against not having a border...

Stillwater
06-24-2009, 11:38 AM
border would be determined by what kind of look your going for. the adjacent areas what type of border is around the pool? want it to match the pool? hidden steel banding? you have a ton of options what does the customer want? cobble stone, blue stone, steel banding, plastic edging engineered stone, sand stone,marble, or no edge at all, consider what the budget is.

AztlanLC
06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
you can also use the white sand and use surebond sealer and joint stabilizer

bigslick7878
06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
That's a good idea.

Getting it though for me (I'm in IL) is going to be a pain. I'm pretty sure I know of a good place to obtain white sand, but then again, given that I had to purchase the bluestone from a PA quarey as well.............

What border would you guys recommend for this? In reading, I know A LOT of people are against not having a border...

You must have a border,but that may(probably will) require cutting the pieces of blue stone individually unless you can find small ones to use that are precut.You might be able to take a square piece of blue stone and cut it in 2's or 4's to save you some time to make them.But note the pieces probably aren't going to be exactly the same exact size,they will be close but usually not exactly on.

It should look just like the picture,but make sure the scale is correct!!It will look horrible if the border pieces are too big relative to the size of the patio.

Juts check a couple other threads on this forum to see what it will look like if you have giant border pieces that are out of proportion.Border pieces are meant to accent the patio and should be fairly small relatively speaking.

RyanDe680
06-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Anyone in the midwest know where to obtain joint stabilizer? I'm struggling to find some locally...