PDA

View Full Version : brand preferance

hillcountry
06-23-2009, 05:50 PM
I am getting intolighting and I have done a few. I've been to Vistas seminars and so I feel that Vista makes a good product (of course they make it seem that way) and I have been happy with the fixtures and the look. I also like the multi-tap transformer. I have FX and hadco? available in my area. Does anyone else have a brand they like and why?

JoeyD
06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Unique Lighting!! We just got a rep in Texas also!! I am biased obviously but I would be happy to send you a box of product info!

Go Halogen
06-23-2009, 07:41 PM
You can not go wrong with Fx or Vista Lighting. They both are U.S. made and can cover all of your design needs. Both of these companies have a full line of product, from less expensive powder coated aluminum to very high end brass and copper fixtures. This enables you to get the penny pincher jobs (we need a shot at each and every job) as well as the high end residential installs.

One of my very good friend's and former student just took the Regional Manager position for FX in the Mid-Atlantic area (PA/DE/MD/NJ/VA).

FX is going to be coming out with some very cool additions soon.

Remember, it pays to buy American. If we had more American products to buy, we might all be better off.

Good Luck to you.

-Andy:usflag:

TXNSLighting
06-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Unique is the only way to go! Better than the couple of products mentioned prior. Very innovative products, and all around well put together products! You need to get with Joey.

David Gretzmier
06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
for trans, I like Volt ( griffin is the sponsor here), Fx, Coppermoon, kind of in that order. my reasoning seems to be on which wattage I am running. 300 I lean FX, 600 I could go either way on the Volt and copper moon ( sharp edges !), 900 and 1200 is volt. Copper moon has some nice wall washers, and thier interchangable hats and bases on thier paths are cool. Volt's top dog light has everything you could want in a spot. I have never installed hadco, but have repaired/replaced some.

Go Halogen
06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Ryan.....No U.S. products? I am surprised that a Texan would solely support
Chinese made products. I do use some Unique (Stellars and Novas). I like them because no one else has those.

I do try support most products that are made in our country.

-Andy

indylights
06-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I use mostly Cast and Unique for fixtures, my transformers vary. I actually think Cast has the best made fixtures, just a limited line. Unique fixtures are good too, just in my opinion the Cast holds up better in the winter. Transformers, I like a lot of brands, still haven't fallen in love with one that I will use every time. Not a big Kichler or Vista fan, feel both of those lines are kind of flimsy. As for American made products, I think you need to define what you consider American made. Assembling foreign made components in America in my mind is not American made. I don't know how much of a Vista or FX fixture is truly made in the U.S., but I'm sure someone will educate me on that.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

P.S. Are your computer, television, cell phone, car/truck, refrigerator, stove, microwave, (and I could go on and on) made in America? Again, I don't mean assembled in America, but made in America. I am a proud Hoosier, born and raised, but sometimes I think we use the "not made in the U.S.A." excuse as a reason not to try new and better products.

Go Halogen
06-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Scott,

I have no hard facts on the % of imported components American manufacturers use. The actual fixture housings are made at the factories.
Sockets??? No idea.

Buying American supports the labor force. It supports domestic manufacturing thus supporting a many jobs.....here on our soil.

As for the list of electronic products that you gave......We don't have a choice. Those days have passed us. With lighting, we have a choice.

All the choices are good. I just feel better dealing supporting Domestic labor.
The product speaks for itself. We all know its the Lamp and Lens that we depend on. The holder is just eye candy during the day. Fixtures should not even be seen, if at all possible.

CAST......been there.....done that. I don't need any more boat anchors in my life. They turn white for Pete's sake.

-Andy

indylights
06-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Scott,

I have no hard facts on the % of imported components American manufacturers use. The actual fixture housings are made at the factories.
Sockets??? No idea.

Buying American supports the labor force. It supports domestic manufacturing thus supporting a many jobs.....here on our soil.

As for the list of electronic products that you gave......We don't have a choice. Those days have passed us. With lighting, we have a choice.

All the choices are good. I just feel better dealing supporting Domestic labor.
The product speaks for itself. We all know its the Lamp and Lens that we depend on. The holder is just eye candy during the day. Fixtures should not even be seen, if at all possible.

CAST......been there.....done that. I don't need any more boat anchors in my life. They turn white for Pete's sake.

-Andy

I didn't say they were the best looking, just the best made. Just my opinion, and I know that matters to no one else, the two brands I mentioned suit my environment, installation and design skills the best. Besides, as you say, the holder is the eye candy, and I have had minimal problems with either brand over the past nine (Cast only five) years averaging 13.5 installs a year. I did have numerous problems with both Vista and Kichler, so I don't bother dealing with either of those. I wasn't passing judgement on the quality of the FX fixture, have no experience with them. As for those electronic products and automobiles, we do still have that choice if you look hard enough, but most don't. I'm not knocking those who don't, because I don't either, but the "made is the U.S.A." argument sometimes gets old when individuals (and I am not saying you are one of those individuals) pick and choose when they want to use it. It's like the vegetarian who preaches about the animals they save by the food they eat, but don't consider animals killed in harvesting the cotton, hemp, or whatever matierial for their clothes, wear leather bets and shoes, etc. But I'm way off base. I stated my fixture preferences, and that was the subject, and again, that's just one humble man's opinion.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

Go Halogen
06-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Scott,

Excellent responses. If I may ask, what issues did you have with Vista.
We may have had some of the same issues.

-Andy

steveparrott
06-24-2009, 08:22 AM

As I've said in other threads, the initial (admittedly not beautiful) color changes in the solid bronze are temporary and eventually the fixture color stabilizes to a dark penny brown then to a verdi-green patina. The first CAST Bullets manufactured 8 years ago are still in the ground looking beautiful. In fact there have been a few customers selling their homes and taking their fixtures with them when they move.

Lite4
06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Unique for me, thank you. Where they are made is not as big of a concern to me as form, function and longivity. Nobody can touch them in my little insignificant world.

Scott is right about the Indy area, Powder coating will take a beating. I do like how beefy the Cast line is and am impressed with the sturdyness of the fixtures. The line is just far too limited for someone that is serious about lighting design and getting fixtures in tough places with high functionality and limited visibility.

JoeyD
06-24-2009, 11:10 AM
For the record all of our transformers and most of our Well Lights are MADE IN THE USA! Regardless of what some might want to say if need be I will go take a step by step photograph of our transformers in the build process from bobbin to canning! Components come from all over the world for all products you buy! As for our fixtures our molds come in from overseas but the entire assembly process is done right here in house in the good ol USA supporting American Labor and American Jobs!!!!

JoeyD
06-24-2009, 11:36 AM
I will make a post in our forum regarding our factory so you can see some pics of the products being built......

sprinklerchris
06-24-2009, 07:10 PM
What we like about Vista:

- good value for the dollar
- great selection / customers find something they like / good copper and aluminum choices
- holds up well
- customization - we get the color, lamp, etc. we want
- no backorders like other lines
- made in USA :usflag:

sprinklerchris
06-24-2009, 07:12 PM
For the record all of our transformers and most of our Well Lights are MADE IN THE USA! Regardless of what some might want to say if need be I will go take a step by step photograph of our transformers in the build process from bobbin to canning! Components come from all over the world for all products you buy! As for our fixtures our molds come in from overseas but the entire assembly process is done right here in house in the good ol USA supporting American Labor and American Jobs!!!!

So your other stuff is made where?

Gr1ffin
06-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Sprinklerchris,

Forgive me but I strongly disagree with the approach of buying American if your intention is for economically benefiting America. It's too long of an economic discussion but a short summary is this:

-you can not artificially protect business/industries or even national economies. We live in a global free market. Its the same reason quotas, tariffs, unions and rent control don't work and are inefficient.
-The best thing we can do as Americans is to have our citizens focus on higher skilled labor and education so that they are not forced to compete for a job that can be done by someone overseas who is willing to do it for 1/10 the cost.
-the majority that criticize Joey/Unique, (and essentially every other landscape light manufacturer other than Vista and Nightscaping) are unknowingly hypocrites. Everyday you buy things made overseas and as a consumer you choose to, however you say you only want to support American made companies like Vista/Nightscaping when it comes to landscape lighting. Do you ever shop at a store (not just Walmart or Target)? Do you only buy American made clothes? Shoes? Or anyother product?
-Look at these 2 scenarios and tell me what you think created more jobs and is better for the economy:
a. in the 70's before Home Depot when you had to go to a local small hardware store, had little selection and high prices. It was inefficient and expensive to buy home improvement supplies.
b. Home Depots came and brought prices down and had loads of imports for little money. It enabled home improvement projects to be affordable, helped the building industry, contractors and jobs. People could afford to remodel and do construction projects. Sure you lost the 5 jobs from the local small business but you created jobs for the community by making construction affordable.
-I am a manufacturer and go overseas frequently. For the labor that is being done--you don't want it done here in the US. The dollar amount spent on labor is minuscule. If the 98% of landscape lighting manufacturers moved production domestically we would have a NET LOSS of jobs. You'd add about 500 factory workers, but raise the price of fixtures for tens of thousand landscapers/lighting installers and millions of homeowners. Due to the price increase of the fixtures, you would get less customers and your installers would be laid off.
-If you want to pay twice as much for a Vista aluminum bullet or pathlight as my solid cast brass fixtures with better components (tinned copper wiring/silicon sealed/pregreased with dielectric grease, etc) then I you are free to. But keep in mind you are not saving jobs.

I am not going to name names, but virtually every manufacturer (even some of the components of the 2 American made co's I mentioned and other co's that claim to be US made) make their products overseas. It is not unique to the landscape lighting biz and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. You get better quality for the price. (note: there are cheap "importers" who are not manufacturers that have poor quality product, but those are not who I am suggestion you buy from). As you know the Toyota Camry has more American made parts and American labor than ALL American cars/models other than the F-150.

Politicians and patriotic people will push the buy American, but economist know this is all mis guided rhetoric. Americans need to focus on doing skills that a third world person can't do, and screwing in sockets into a fixture is not one of those jobs.

Enough with criticizing the quality manufactures if some or all of their product is made overseas. They wouldn't be in business if they made it domestically and you'd have no choices and even more costly fixture expenses.

Sincerely,

Alan

JoeyD
06-25-2009, 10:44 AM
So your other stuff is made where?

Re-Read my post or visit here...http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=280238

Gr1ffin
06-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Sprinklerchris,

Forgive me but I strongly disagree with the approach of buying American if your intention is for economically benefiting America. It's too long of an economic discussion but a short summary is this:

-you can not artificially protect business/industries or even national economies. We live in a global free market. Its the same reason quotas, tariffs, unions and rent control don't work and are inefficient.
-The best thing we can do as Americans is to have our citizens focus on higher skilled labor and education so that they are not forced to compete for a job that can be done by someone overseas who is willing to do it for 1/10 the cost.
-the majority that criticize Joey/Unique, (and essentially every other landscape light manufacturer other than Vista and Nightscaping) are unknowingly hypocrites. Everyday you buy things made overseas and as a consumer you choose to, however you say you only want to support American made companies like Vista/Nightscaping when it comes to landscape lighting. Do you ever shop at a store (not just Walmart or Target)? Do you only buy American made clothes? Shoes? Or anyother product?
-Look at these 2 scenarios and tell me what you think created more jobs and is better for the economy:
a. in the 70's before Home Depot when you had to go to a local small hardware store, had little selection and high prices. It was inefficient and expensive to buy home improvement supplies.
b. Home Depots came and brought prices down and had loads of imports for little money. It enabled home improvement projects to be affordable, helped the building industry, contractors and jobs. People could afford to remodel and do construction projects. Sure you lost the 5 jobs from the local small business but you created jobs for the community by making construction affordable.
-I am a manufacturer and go overseas frequently. For the labor that is being done--you don't want it done here in the US. The dollar amount spent on labor is minuscule. If the 98% of landscape lighting manufacturers moved production domestically we would have a NET LOSS of jobs. You'd add about 500 factory workers, but raise the price of fixtures for tens of thousand landscapers/lighting installers and millions of homeowners. Due to the price increase of the fixtures, you would get less customers and your installers would be laid off.
-If you want to pay twice as much for a Vista aluminum bullet or pathlight as my solid cast brass fixtures with better components (tinned copper wiring/silicon sealed/pregreased with dielectric grease, etc) then I you are free to. But keep in mind you are not saving jobs.

I am not going to name names, but virtually every manufacturer (even some of the components of the 2 American made co's I mentioned and other co's that claim to be US made) make their products overseas. It is not unique to the landscape lighting biz and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. You get better quality for the price. (note: there are cheap "importers" who are not manufacturers that have poor quality product, but those are not who I am suggestion you buy from). As you know the Toyota Camry has more American made parts and American labor than ALL American cars/models other than the F-150.

Politicians and patriotic people will push the buy American, but economist know this is all mis guided rhetoric. Americans need to focus on doing skills that a third world person can't do, and screwing in sockets into a fixture is not one of those jobs.

Enough with criticizing the quality manufactures if some or all of their product is made overseas. They wouldn't be in business if they made it domestically and you'd have no choices and even more costly fixture expenses.

Sincerely,

Alan

steveparrott
06-25-2009, 11:56 AM
In my opinion, the problem is not that products are made overseas but rather that many US-based lighting companies are relinquishing control, relying on foreign manufacturers who have no stake in the US business. They don't care about your business, they don't care about your customers, they are happy to sell your product to your competitors if they can get away with it, they will swap out your specified part with a cheaper one (and they won't tell you) - unless you are a huge company, they don't even care if they lose your business.

Walk the aisles of Light Fair and have a chat with the Asian folks, see if they'll replicate your favorite fixtures and sell them to you direct (just kidding please don't do this - it would burn you in the end).

The US lighting market has been seriously compromised by the poor quality products produced by Asian companies. True, there are a few US manufacturers that have some control over their Asian suppliers but even the best of these will have horror stories to tell.

While manufacturing in the states has become prohibitively expensive, contractors should at least be sure that they buy products from companies they trust - who will stand by what they sell.

Also, contractors should take apart the fixtures, examine the workmanship, examine the wiring and connections (look for solid connections, shrink wrap, fiberglass sleeving), check the temperature rating on the socket lead wire, look for nicks or strain points in the wire, check the thickness of stem walls, bodies and shrouds (will it break or bend easily).

Gr1ffin
06-25-2009, 12:23 PM
I agree with Steve.

The misconception is with overseas production is when importers get confused with manufacturers. Most import - order product from a factory.

The proper way to control quality is not to rely on the factory for your product. Build your own mold, buy your own components (tinned copper wiring, beryllium copper sockets, UL braided sleeve protectors, dielectric grease, etc) from your own sources and have another assemble to your build specs. It takes much more work, time, knowledge and costs more than straight importing but you get better quality. The quality products you know about are the ones that are "manufactured" overseas, the ones that give overseas a bad name are "imported".

Got to get back to work!

Alan

Gr1ffin
06-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Also, contractors should take apart the fixtures, examine the workmanship, examine the wiring and connections (look for solid connections, shrink wrap, fiberglass sleeving), check the temperature rating on the socket lead wire, look for nicks or strain points in the wire, check the thickness of stem walls, bodies and shrouds (will it break or bend easily).

I totally agree. For example when you take apart our Top Dog spotlight and look inside the knuckle you will see an in-line connection with heat shrink tubing over it, plus UL Braided wire sleeve protectors over that, then silicon sealed where the wires leave the fixture to further prevent chaffeeing and ground moisture from entering the fixture. The sockets pre greased with dielectric grease, etc..

Even the domestic manufacturers don't do that -- they'll have an open crimp splice for the socket to lead wire connection and none of the other features.

When I get my nerve up, I'll post on the other issues with the landscape lighting manufacturers, namely the distribution and why contractors are getting the short end of the stick with distribution and pricing.:)

All stop stirring the pot now, plus I really need to get back to work.

Sincerely,

Alan

David Gretzmier
06-26-2009, 12:57 AM
My take on the buy American thing is this- If you want to sell something in America, or all over the world, it really needs to be the best product out there, or "good enough" and cheap.

Many times a product comes along that has all the features you want, a really great item, quality, and it is manufactured overseas. the reality is , if it is better than anything else out there, it will eventually sell and take over the market, until the next thing that is better comes along.

I'm often amazed at the Weather tech floor mat story. check them out on the web if you wish, but they simply make the best floor mat for your car or truck out there. They decided to stop buying them from a factory overseas, and yes, they could have tried China, but they decided to make the most advanced floor mat factory in the US. They make all the injection molds themselves from american steel, all the factory equipment is from america, as is all the raw materials, thier forklifts, literally everything they can buy american they do.

since they make the best floor mat, they command a high price, about 99 bucks for the front 2 or around 150 for a set of 4. There are folks that charge more. Your local new car dealer is one of them. but none of them will fit as well or last as long.

I had a Client a few years back who owned a drinking straw factory in the US here in Springdale, Arkansas. It is the most advanced plastic extruding machine ever made, and yes, it cost him about 7 or 8 million dollars. 10 times the cost of a normal staw machine. but he can now make straws half as cheap as any manufacturor in the world, with american labor and american made plastic, cardboard containers, etc. he makes all the straws for all the Wal-mart stores, as well as many large grocery chains. He told me that his machine has the capacity to make,seriously, a trillion straws a year. it is only a matter of time before he puts the chinese straw manufacturors out of business.

The moral for me is some products can be made at a profit here in the US if someone will step up and invest in the best machinery and do thier homework. perhaps Landscape lighting can be done that way, maybe not. Ive said this in other threads, but Toyota is the weirdest example. They have found that they make more money by building in as much american steel, labor and true content into their american sold vehicles, because it is cheaper than having to ship parts 7000 miles away. As long as the quality and economics can be maintained, Toyota will continue to do that. Why in the world did things get so stupid that they beat the "big 3" in american content not just on one vehicle, but on many models they make in the US.

sprinklerchris
06-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Sprinklerchris,

Sincerely,

Alan

I appreciate your lengthy answer to my question. I simply asked where a product is made and I get this....

Those that make their product in the US have a special advantage over their competitors in being able to respond to customization requests if they can cast or fabricate the parts themselves.

That's what I was looking for. And nothing more!

JoeyD
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I bet we could cast or fabricate a custom product just as fast any "US" made product although I feel we are a "US" made product as well. Just becuase our molds or castings are done somewhere else doesnt mean we are not Made in the USA in the essence of the term..........We still do all the design and R&D right here as well as everything else that I mentioned. Tooling takes time weather you got a refinery or not...

I do agree that having all your products made and fuly assembled overseas does leave the end user open for many potential problems regardless of how good the factory you have over there is. Regardless, people have loyalties which means I am probably just

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/deadhorse.gif.

David Gretzmier
06-26-2009, 04:54 PM
nice animation

Lite4
06-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Why in the world did things get so stupid that they beat the "big 3" in american content not just on one vehicle, but on many models they make in the US.

Its really very simple- "UNIONIZED LABOR" by Ford, Dodge and Chevy

Lite4
06-26-2009, 05:08 PM
OMG Joey, I just saw your animation and had to make a quick trip to the restroom. That is freakin hilarious!!!!

Mark B
06-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Well looks like Joey hit the nail on the head.

JoeyD
06-26-2009, 05:51 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/xbbox/Smileys/298.gif

For you Mark!

Gr1ffin
06-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I appreciate your lengthy answer to my question. I simply asked where a product is made and I get this....

Those that make their product in the US have a special advantage over their competitors in being able to respond to customization requests if they can cast or fabricate the parts themselves.

That's what I was looking for. And nothing more!

Lol. I hear you... it was just a good segway for me to get the economic perspective off my chest... no hard feelings and thanks for being a good sport about it.:)
Cheers,

Alan

Mark B
06-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark B
06-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Scott,

Excellent responses. If I may ask, what issues did you have with Vista.
We may have had some of the same issues.

-Andy

I'm not quoting you purpose.

Anyhoo I will chime since I'm bored in the hotel room. For me I'm not married to any company. I use mostly well lights more then anything else. I do price ther fixtures as well. Another thing what works for me is the lighting company I use is 25 minutes up the highway. That is nice for me. But I doubled checked some readings on there tranny fri and the vote was off 2volts on each terminal so that is not sitting well with me. I might be finding a tranny company.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lite4
06-27-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm not quoting you purpose.

Anyhoo I will chime since I'm bored in the hotel room. For me I'm not married to any company. I use mostly well lights more then anything else. I do price ther fixtures as well. Another thing what works for me is the lighting company I use is 25 minutes up the highway. That is nice for me. But I doubled checked some readings on there tranny fri and the vote was off 2volts on each terminal so that is not sitting well with me. I might be finding a tranny company.
Posted via Mobile Device

Check the voltage on the primary side. You may be running at or below 115v which will put you below right out of the gate on your secondary side. It's not always the transformer that is causing the lower output readings.

Mark B
06-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I checked that part as well. I was at 118 volts out of the wall. Now since I'm on a real computer. Let me retype some of that. LOL. I will show other products to customers. Like most here you will hear, will you price these 2 spreadlights, then the customer will make a choice. I am not a big fan of some of the other lighting companies. Then there are some that I do like there products. Anyhoo my .02 .

PSUTURFGEEK
06-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Lets add to this a little, How many of your favorite lighting companies have all of thier products UL listed ? this is very inportant.

Lite4
06-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Lets add to this a little, How many of your favorite lighting companies have all of thier products UL listed ? this is very inportant.

ETL is a legitamate listing company too, or did you exclude this one on intentionally?

JoeyD
06-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Unique = ETL Approved or Pending on 99% of our product Line

steveparrott
06-30-2009, 07:01 AM
CAST Lighting - 100% UL Listed

BrandonV
06-30-2009, 07:26 PM
do i hear 101?

JoeyD
07-01-2009, 02:48 PM
LOL....because we build all of our own transformers we make LOTS of custom units for customers that are not ETL / UL listed and we are very open with the customer before building it that it is as such.