PDA

View Full Version : 'Mosquito Barrier' - our customers' choice

americanlawn
06-23-2009, 07:03 PM
When we use a product that offers outstanding results , we like to share it. "Mosquito Barrier is the best thing since sliced bread". That's a quote from one of our customers. Honestly guys, it is that good. Most folks ask for it year after year. Outdoor events can be held with confidence.

We spray everything 30 feet high & lower. Results are immediate. Instead of getting bitten to death, all of a sudden....not bites whatsoever. It lasts several weeks, and it's totally safe. I use a J-D9 gun to spray it. Under decks, eaves of houses, grass, small trees & shrubs, etc. Basically anything 30 feet tall & under.

Another advantage is you can spray it during work hours instead of going out at dusk to spray an insecticide that does not last.

While this is not a "plug" for anybody, we buy ours from Tech-Terra (a lawnsite.com sponsor).

Thought I'd share something we believe in 100%. Try it. You will be amazed. rscvp after you try it. :usflag:

Young Bros
06-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Sounds cool Larry...I guess you are a well of info, otherwise you would have told me about this already. :) I'm always looking for another service to sell.

Bwing96
06-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I want to use this product but looks to be a bit pricy at $74/gal to cover only 5 acres. What rate do you use to achieve such good results?

I have been using Permethrin at a cost of $110/gal but covering 40-50 acres. We have had some pretty good mosquito pressure in some areas and this seems to work well but only lasts 14-18 days.

Grandview
06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Larry, Is there a odor with this product? How do you mix it? Do you use a spreader sticker? Thanks.

americanlawn
06-24-2009, 07:23 PM
If you buy 4 gallons at a time, you won't pay near as much as $74 per gallon (this includes shipping). I mix about a quart for every 40 gallons of water. No spreader/sticker or anything else. 40 - 60 gallons covers an acre when we spray. We roughly charge $100 per acre, $60 per 1/2 acre, 10,000 s/f = about $40. (and we're cheap). :laugh:

There is a very slight odor at first, but it usually wears off in 12 hours (according to our customers).

Using a lawn gun ain't the best - a J-D9 gun is perfect using a minimum of 200 psi.

When we leave the bill, we also leave behind a one-page piece of paper telling them about the product. http://www.mosquitobarrier.com (even though we buy it from Tech-Terra). We don't advertise this service, but if we did, I know we would get a whole lot more business.

Nuther nice thing about it, any leftover product is used at MY house. :usflag:

Our state has already issued warnings regarding expected mosquito outbreaks cuz of all the rain & humidity. IMO 'Mosquito Barrier' is a very timely product right now. Even though we don't advertise it, we have about 30 "pre-ordered" sprays scheduled. These range from day care centers to horse barns, and everything in between. Most of these are repeat customers or those who were referred. Other than 'Fuid Film', I have never bragged up a product such as this. Trust me -- it's that good.

Any complaints -- just PM me. I'll give you Rodney's number. :laugh::laugh:

Rlclawnguy
06-25-2009, 01:26 PM
We ordered this product because of what you had recommended in the past. Over the last year we have just used it for ourselves and testing it out. We have just applied it with a hand canister. The boss takes a 1 gallon canister with him camping every weekend and they swear by it. I used it one weekend for a party at my house and sprayed it the night before. The next morning I mowed and at the party it didn't seem to be working as well as I had heard. I then mixed a batch in just a household spray bottle and sprayed it all over the patio during the party and lawn area we were in and I didn't hear a single complaint even though people thought I was crazy when I was doing it. I will be heading to the adirondacks in a couple of weeks and that will be the ultimate test. I am including this service in my newsletter that will be going out very soon.

ron mexico75
06-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Wow that sounds like it's something else. I can't believe something that is natural has such good results. I have been using TALSTAR all around the outside. Granular and the liquid. I always feel nervous and uptight when the kids and dog are outside. Even days after its dry. It's chemicals and you just never know if there are any long term effects.

So how exactly do you spray it. I see you said what type of spray gun you use. How exactly do you mix it? Do you have a huge tank you carry around on a truck/trailer? I only have a back pack sprayer. Do you think that would work or no?

Would you need an applicators license to spray this since it's just garlic?

phasthound
06-25-2009, 06:42 PM
We ordered this product because of what you had recommended in the past. Over the last year we have just used it for ourselves and testing it out. We have just applied it with a hand canister. The boss takes a 1 gallon canister with him camping every weekend and they swear by it. I used it one weekend for a party at my house and sprayed it the night before. The next morning I mowed and at the party it didn't seem to be working as well as I had heard. I then mixed a batch in just a household spray bottle and sprayed it all over the patio during the party and lawn area we were in and I didn't hear a single complaint even though people thought I was crazy when I was doing it. I will be heading to the adirondacks in a couple of weeks and that will be the ultimate test. I am including this service in my newsletter that will be going out very soon.

It works best when absorbed by foliage. Insects detect it and stay away. So it is better when applied to lawns after mowing instead of just before.

The product is EPA exempt, State laws may vary but in most cases no pesticide license is required.
My clients love it & I have no problem spraying while kids and pets are in the yard.

Anyone interested in adding this service, please feel free to contact us for info on achieving best results at the best price.

americanlawn
06-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Yep -- We used Talstar before we heard about Mosquito Barrier (liquid garlic). Talstar killed the little buggers, but that did not stop neighbor mosquitoes from moving in. Plus, new ones would hatch out soon after.

Anything you spray is "protected" (grass, shrubs, decks, fences, etc). I use a J-D9 gun at 400 psi. 1/2 inch hose, D-50 Hypro pump. This allows me to spray all the way through shrubs & trees, under decks, eaves & roof tops of houses, etc. Often times, I will just spray up in the air about 30 or 40 feet & let the spray "drift" in open areas. I also try to shoot some (fine) spray over the property border too. Shorelines of lakes & ponds -- no prob cuz it's safe for fish & everything else.

A gallon covers up to five acres, but we mix it slightly stronger (see previous post). My pickup truck has a 300 gallon Tuflex (fiberglass) split tank (185 gal for weed & feed/115 gal for tree & shrub products). So I mix it in the tree/shrub side of the tank.

No license needed to spray it. I spose a backpack sprayer would work, but it probably would not provide complete surface coverage in all areas (leaves & branches, far enough under decks, etc). One guys asked if a lawn gun would work -- same thing, plus it's best to use a fine spray to get into nooks & crannies instead of larger droplets that lawn guns provide.

This is our 3rd year using it. It's a nice feeling to know how well it works. I have several properties to spray next week, and some just before the Fourth of July, and many more later. Weddings, keggers, car shows, live concerts, and just plain ol' customers who want to enjoy their yards.

Hope this helps. You can also contact 'phasthound' here on lawnsite, cuz he knows more about the product than I do. BTW we had one customer who said it lasted 3 months, but it didn't rain much during that period.

:usflag:

Wow that sounds like it's something else. I can't believe something that is natural has such good results. I have been using TALSTAR all around the outside. Granular and the liquid. I always feel nervous and uptight when the kids and dog are outside. Even days after its dry. It's chemicals and you just never know if there are any long term effects.

So how exactly do you spray it. I see you said what type of spray gun you use. How exactly do you mix it? Do you have a huge tank you carry around on a truck/trailer? I only have a back pack sprayer. Do you think that would work or no?

Would you need an applicators license to spray this since it's just garlic?

FdLLawnMan
06-25-2009, 11:22 PM
In Wisconsin if you are performing mosquito control you need an aquatics license.

Grandview
06-26-2009, 08:13 AM
It works best when absorbed by foliage. Insects detect it and stay away. So it is better when applied to lawns after mowing instead of just before.

The product is EPA exempt, State laws may vary but in most cases no pesticide license is required.
My clients love it & I have no problem spraying while kids and pets are in the yard.

Anyone interested in adding this service, please feel free to contact us for info on achieving best results at the best price.

Talked to a customer yesterday. I use Bi-fen and have good results but was thinking about using Mosquito barrier. I mentioned it to my customer and said he used it but it did not work. Does the product work and last on wood and stone. Do you sell it? I could not find it on your website.

phasthound
06-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Talked to a customer yesterday. I use Bi-fen and have good results but was thinking about using Mosquito barrier. I mentioned it to my customer and said he used it but it did not work. Does the product work and last on wood and stone. Do you sell it? I could not find it on your website.

It works best when applied to plant material, it may not last as long when applied to stone.

It works. I used it in my yard before offering the application service to my residential clients. The positive feed back I got from them convinced me to add it to our wholesale product.

Our price is $62.04 for a single gal, $185.56 for 4 x 1 gal case. Plus shipping.

We don't have every product up on our website. If you can't find something, or need detailed product info & pricing just click info@techterraorganics.com and we will promptly get back to you.

garydale
06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
In Wisconsin if you are performing mosquito control you need an aquatics license.

In Maryland, I think you need Cat.#8-Public Health on your license for mosquito control.

Rlclawnguy
06-26-2009, 11:47 AM
are you sure this product isn't exempt from using without those license's?

ICT Bill
06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Garlic is a great mosquitoe control product

Be careful it attracts Italians :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Talstar is also very toxic to fish and many aquatic creatures, if you are around water at all you can use garlic safely......and spray it on your pizza
Garlic is EPA exempt on the 25b list for the national organic program for organic farming. which means you can use it as a pesticide on the farm and still be compliant. every state regulates its own pesicide law so you would have to check with your own state law.

I think it more a question of what you are claiming, if you are "managing" and not "killing" I think you are OK with the law. Mosquito management

Summett
06-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Do you think you could you use an ATV sprayer, or tow sprayer, for a larger lawn (and the wand for trees, etc.)?

phasthound
06-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Garlic is a great mosquitoe control product

Be careful it attracts Italians :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Careful? Hell they bring great food & wine!
You gotta problem wi'dat? :)

americanlawn
06-26-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm sure an ATV sprayer would be fine for turf. Not sure if your wand would thoroughly spray trees/shrubs??

I made 16 stops today. Two stops were Mosquito Barrier sprays.

First mosquito spray was 88,000 s/f (plus shrubs & trees up to 20 feet). The skiters were so thick, I got mad & hooked up a Hypro tree gun (for extra height & distance). I still used the 400 psi pressure. I even sprayed inside their horse barn. There were 3 guys putting on a new addition on the back of the house. I told 'em I was there to spray mosquitoes. They said, "Thank God". BTW they didn't care if I got spray mist on them after I told them what I was using. Those guys were getting eaten alive!

It took me about 40 minutes to thoroughly spray the entire property (2 acres). Before I left, I asked the construction workers if they noticed a difference. Here's their quotes, "amazing", "awesome", and "no more bites". I ended up using about 70 gallons on this 2 acre property. I mix 1/2 gallon of Mosquito Barrier for every 75 gallons of water.

I hope this nails down approximately how much to mix. Been using the same rate (1/2 gallon per 75 gallons of water for almost 3 years now). J-D9 gun or hypro tree gun. BTW you WILL get mosquito 2 or 3 or 4 bites while spraying, so you may want to spray mosquito repellent on your arms & neck before spraying in heavily infested properties.

Keep in mind I'm no expert -- just been using it for awhile with great results. phasthound (Barry) knows his stuff. Ran out of last year's supply, so I opened his latest shipment today. Thanks Barry, Larry :waving:

Do you think you could you use an ATV sprayer, or tow sprayer, for a larger lawn (and the wand for trees, etc.)?

turf hokie
06-26-2009, 08:57 PM
J-D9 gun or hypro tree gun. BTW you WILL get mosquito 2 or 3 or 4 bites while spraying, so you may want to spray mosquito repellent on your arms & neck before spraying in heavily infested properties.

Keep in mind I'm no expert -- just been using it for awhile with great results. Thanks Barry, Larry :waving:

Do you just turn the JD-9 on yourself at a lower pressure???? or just dunk your hands and arms in the tank and pat your neck???:waving:

americanlawn
06-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Excellent point -- I was so pissed off at the 2-acre property cuz they were everywhere. They swarmed all around me the whole time I was spraying. Got bit 3 or 4 times too. Hence my recomendation to spray with deet before spraying. The garlic sure stirs 'em up -- they really swarm out of shrubs, etc, but it seems to take about five minutes before they "exit Stage Left" and leave the premices. Yes, I did spray myself several times with a fine mist while spraying, but still got 3 or 4 bits anyways.

Bottom line: I think it takes a few minutes for the 'Minnesota State Bird' to figure out they ain't Italian. :laugh:

phasthound
06-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys, ur are funny!

zimmatic
06-27-2009, 09:13 AM
here is some more info on the product
http://www.ucorganicproducts.com/pdf/MOSQUITO%20BARRIER%20Field%20Tests%20updated%202001.pdf

found it on the internet take it for what its worth I guess

humble1
06-27-2009, 11:04 PM
I want to use this product but looks to be a bit pricy at $74/gal to cover only 5 acres. What rate do you use to achieve such good results?

I have been using Permethrin at a cost of $110/gal but covering 40-50 acres. We have had some pretty good mosquito pressure in some areas and this seems to work well but only lasts 14-18 days.

more like lasts 7-10. What are you using?

humble1
06-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Even though it is an exempt product if a product kills mitigates or repels it is considered a pesticide. Most states require a license if you are appling a pesticide for hire. I would definatly check your state. In NH appling garlic barrier for mosquito control without the biting fly cat license would get you fined.

Bwing96
06-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I use a back pack mist blower and apply about 3 gal / acre

humble1
06-28-2009, 11:07 AM
I use a back pack mist blower and apply about 3 gal / acre
how much product per gal are you mixing.

You must get some strange looks when you stop at the store afterwards.

I was spraying fish & seaweed once and i got a dirty look from some chick when I was behind her at dunkins

Bwing96
06-28-2009, 11:10 AM
.75-1 oz/gal

americanlawn
06-29-2009, 09:52 PM
IMO I see guys using more product than needed, as well as using spray equipment that is not powerful enough. Skiters can fly high - often up to 25 feet in the air (trees, shrubs, etc), and you really have to 'blast' through the entire plant and spray high enough to attain long-term protection. I'm talkin' about 400 psi with guns that can blast through the entire plant as well as spraying way up in the air to repel the rest.

We have always gotten excellent results by spraying about a gallon (concentrate) for every 4 acres (unless the property is loaded with shrubs & stuff).

Two gallons per 75 gallons of water is all I have ever mixed. Always excellent results. I will be spraying several properties this Thursday & Friday for the Fourth of July weekend, and I am confident. (our home included). We'll be making a 'run' to Missouri for illegal fireworks, will be grilling out, will have plenty of free adult beverages, and the pool will be open.

I expect NO mosquito bites whatsoever at our house this weekend. I know this cuz I've been doing the same thing for the past 3 years.

tremor
06-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Larry speaks the truth. M-Barrier also repels cucumber beetles for my giant pumpkins. Works much faster than Warrior or Talstar.

phasthound
06-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Larry speaks the truth. M-Barrier also repels cucumber beetles for my giant pumpkins. Works much faster than Warrior or Talstar.

Also works great keeping flea beetles off my eggplants.

Grandview
06-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Also works great keeping flea beetles off my eggplants.

How long does Mosquito Barrier last on wood structures?

zimmatic
06-30-2009, 08:27 PM
is there a dealer network? American where you get yours from? Im am in MN would like to buy some from a dealer vs internet. However, buy it where I can.

americanlawn
06-30-2009, 08:51 PM
We get the best price from Tech-Terra. (a lawnsite.com sponsor) phasthound (Barry) is their rep here on lawnsite. Best price = ordering at least four gallons at a time. Takes about a week for delivery. Product comes from California. It also stores very well (in a heated garage) for next year.

You can also buy it on ebay, as well as http://www.mosquitobarrier.com, but you will pay more.

is there a dealer network? American where you get yours from? Im am in MN would like to buy some from a dealer vs internet. However, buy it where I can.

phasthound
06-30-2009, 09:03 PM
We get the best price from Tech-Terra. (a lawnsite.com sponsor) phasthound (Barry) is their rep here on lawnsite. Best price = ordering at least four gallons at a time. Takes about a week for delivery. Product comes from California. It also stores very well (in a heated garage) for next year.

You can also buy it on ebay, as well as http://www.mosquitobarrier.com, but you will pay more.

Thanks Larry.

For anyone interested in this product and many others, please check our website below. You won't find this product there yet, but we will give you the best price available for a case. You may contact us at info@techterraorganics.com.

Bwing96
07-01-2009, 09:47 PM
What is the minimum and maximum amount of water used to apply MB ?
I would hate to dilute it too much,but want to make sure I get enough so it will work like it's supposed to.

americanlawn
07-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Hey bud -- I plan to mix it at two gallons per 50 gallons of water instead of 75 gallons. Got a call from just one customer today saying it didn't last cuz it rained shortly afterwards. Two gallons in 50 gallons of water will certainly do the job.

That's what i'll do from now on - I'll just charge more. Even thought the previous rate worked well for years.

What is the minimum and maximum amount of water used to apply MB ?
I would hate to dilute it too much,but want to make sure I get enough so it will work like it's supposed to.

Bwing96
07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
http://northernagmistsprayer.com/products.php?page=24

This is the type setup I use.
Bill

Summett
07-08-2009, 11:05 AM
ot a call from just one customer today saying it didn't last cuz it rained shortly afterwards.

Americanlawn, do you see a decrease in effectiveness if you're spraying on a lawn that is irrigated. I see from the manufacturer website that a 48 hr dry spell is recommended when spraying, but it also says that it "will be ok thru about 2-3 moderate rain showers." How about irrigated areas?

americanlawn
07-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Bwing96 -- Nice set-up buddy!

Summett -- We received 1.4 inches of rain yesterday as well as light showers days before that. I mixed up 75 gallons (3 quarts of Mosquito Barrier) & sprayed 3 properties on the morning of July 4th. 1) our home, 2) daughter's home, 3) office next door rental home. So far, not a single mosquito bite.

I don't know how frequent irrigation affects the longevity, but most skiters hang out in shrubs, ornamental beds, etc anyway.

Here's a pic of our home (650 X 135 feet), about 2 acres. I walked along the perimeter of our property a few minutes ago, and I did not see any skiters whatsoever.

All I know is it works great. Thanks. :waving:

p.s. that's a Chevy Avalanche on the left, a John Deere Gator on the right, and an American flag in the middle. Visitors with foreign cars are politely asked to 'park across the street'. :usflag:
Americanlawn, do you see a decrease in effectiveness if you're spraying on a lawn that is irrigated. I see from the manufacturer website that a 48 hr dry spell is recommended when spraying, but it also says that it "will be ok thru about 2-3 moderate rain showers." How about irrigated areas?

Rlclawnguy
07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Americanlawn, do you spray every square foot of your lawn including the house, driveway, walks and so on? Also how long till you notice a difference. Once I sprayed the day before and once the morning of a party and both time didn't seem to really work. Both times i resprayed the main areas of the party and worked great the rest of the night. Not sure if maybe it should be being done sooner. Any suggestions?

americanlawn
07-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Yep -- I spray everything. About 30 feet up into the trees, over the roof of the house, under the eaves, on the fence, over the fence, and I thoroughly spray shrubs & other ornamentals. As far as spraying the lawn, I don't spend much time there -- I just spray back & forth about 10 - 20 feet in the air & let it drift on the turf. While I move to the next section of the property, I usually spray about 40 feet up in the air, letting the product drift. Still no skeeter bites as of this afternoon. I almost always use a J-D9 spray gun at about 400 psi (tall tree gun if them skeeter piss me off), and I put the 'county boys' to shame regarding skeeter control. The county sprays insecticide which also kills beneficial bugs (and it doesn't last) -- even lightning bugs, which we are fond of.

How long do we see a difference? No bites after about 15 minutes, cuz the cowards quickly find 'greener pastures' at the neighbor's properties. :laugh:

Americanlawn, do you spray every square foot of your lawn including the house, driveway, walks and so on? Also how long till you notice a difference. Once I sprayed the day before and once the morning of a party and both time didn't seem to really work. Both times i resprayed the main areas of the party and worked great the rest of the night. Not sure if maybe it should be being done sooner. Any suggestions?

phasthound
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
I can just imagine Larry spraying wildly into the air and cackling, "Take that you Skeeters!! You may bite all the others, but you won't bite ME!!" :)

The stuff works, and for me there is no better feeling than to be able to spray while the kids are playing in the pool & the dog is in the yard. Oh, wait, I can do that with almost all my applications. :clapping:

americanlawn
07-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Pretty nice to walk outside (tonight) & not get bitten. Guys -- the stuff truly works. And it lasts a long time. Try it & you will see. Summer here in Iowa is short enough...so we try to enjoy the outdoors as much as we can. Got some outdoor concerts & car shows as late as early November here -- we will utilize Mosquito Barrier for those events too, cuz it works, Thanks Barry for the fine products that Tech Terra offers. :usflag:

I can just imagine Larry spraying wildly into the air and cackling, "Take that you Skeeters!! You may bite all the others, but you won't bite ME!!" :)

The stuff works, and for me there is no better feeling than to be able to spray while the kids are playing in the pool & the dog is in the yard. Oh, wait, I can do that with almost all my applications. :clapping:

turf hokie
07-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I have been reading this post, but only with a passing interest as we have never had a call for this service....UNTIL TODAY:cool2:

How often do you recommend treatments? once per month? Do you set them up with a minimum number of apps? any gurantees?

The call I got is from a property manager that runs a few sites that total about 100 acres. He wants to meet on the first one and see how well the control goes. The properties are about an hour travel for me so I want to go in as knowlegeable and upfront about what to expect as I REALLY dont want any go backs that far away.

Thanks Larry and Barry

phasthound
07-10-2009, 09:02 AM
I have been reading this post, but only with a passing interest as we have never had a call for this service....UNTIL TODAY:cool2:

How often do you recommend treatments? once per month? Do you set them up with a minimum number of apps? any gurantees?

The call I got is from a property manager that runs a few sites that total about 100 acres. He wants to meet on the first one and see how well the control goes. The properties are about an hour travel for me so I want to go in as knowlegeable and upfront about what to expect as I REALLY dont want any go backs that far away.

Thanks Larry and Barry

Bryan,

Check your email when you can, I sent you some info.

I recommend every 3 weeks. As long as it is applied correctly, it works.

americanlawn
07-10-2009, 07:32 PM
May I also add - Bryan, print off a Mosquito Barrier fact sheet to give to your customers. This will re-enforce what you tell them as to what it controls, etc.

BTW we love lightning bugs, and we don't have to worry about getting it in our pool or on pets. Also not harnful the our endangered honeybees. :usflag:

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
07-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Would a regular lesco skid sprayer work for this or should I have something else?

phasthound
07-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Would a regular lesco skid sprayer work for this or should I have something else?

That's perfect!

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
07-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Is there any other sprayer set up that might work.. I dont have a skid sprayer yet... Can I get a tank and one of those electric shurflo pumps and then the question... what gun for the end?

phasthound
07-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Is there any other sprayer set up that might work.. I dont have a skid sprayer yet... Can I get a tank and one of those electric shurflo pumps and then the question... what gun for the end?

Many set ups work. It can be applied at 1.3 oz per gallon, 2 gal/1000. Give it 48 hours without rain, it works.
How to apply the product is easy to answer. How much labor & time is effective for your business is something you must answer. I wouldn't make any profit if I was applying with a back pack sprayer. Would you? I can't answer that.

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
07-16-2009, 07:56 PM
So I will do more research on sprayer set ups.. I wasn't asking what it takes to be profitable at all.. Just looking for ideas on different options of sprayer set ups.. I guess you need to have enough pressure and flow to get it up into trees..

Thanks I will be ordering some real soon. First I need a way to apply it.

phasthound
07-16-2009, 08:35 PM
So I will do more research on sprayer set ups.. I wasn't asking what it takes to be profitable at all.. Just looking for ideas on different options of sprayer set ups.. I guess you need to have enough pressure and flow to get it up into trees..

Thanks I will be ordering some real soon. First I need a way to apply it.

It works when applied just to turf. All I'm trying to say is that it is very time consuming to apply by backpack.
On this forum, I am speaking to professionals, not homeowners. For pros efficiency means profits. No disrespect intended. :waving:

Rlclawnguy
07-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Well I just got back from a camping trip to the Adirondacks for 5 days. If any one is familiar with the area, you know this is the ultimate test. In this setting I was using a hand can mixing on the high side of 2oz per gallon. The first day I sprayed it had rained in the afternoon and I sprayed the whole site. We did not have a single bite. The next day there seemed to be a little pressure and with it finally being dry I sprayed again and that was the last time. I didn't notice anyone have a problem for the next 2 or 3 nights. Friends stayed longer and are coming back to day so I will be checking again, but it was so easy and we are used to using all sorts of candles, torches and sprays to help but this stuff eliminates the problem! I'm sold, now I just have to find the best way to spread the word and make more believers.

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
07-17-2009, 05:31 PM
I want to try this out.. Where do I order it from... Did someone say Tech-Terra?

phasthound
07-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Please go to our website below & contact us there.

phasthound
07-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Well I just got back from a camping trip to the Adirondacks for 5 days. If any one is familiar with the area, you know this is the ultimate test. In this setting I was using a hand can mixing on the high side of 2oz per gallon. The first day I sprayed it had rained in the afternoon and I sprayed the whole site. We did not have a single bite. The next day there seemed to be a little pressure and with it finally being dry I sprayed again and that was the last time. I didn't notice anyone have a problem for the next 2 or 3 nights. Friends stayed longer and are coming back to day so I will be checking again, but it was so easy and we are used to using all sorts of candles, torches and sprays to help but this stuff eliminates the problem! I'm sold, now I just have to find the best way to spread the word and make more believers.

I'll be up in the NY woods for 2 weeks of R&R. You can bet I'll be bringing my backpack sprayer. :)

turf hokie
07-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Just wanted to brag about how I just stepped in a big pile o poop.

Sold my first mosquito spray 10 acre site got over $200 per acre.

Then same manager calls with another site for mosquitos and black flies, 30 acres. gave him a break on the two sites but still in the $200 per acre range.

Had a buddy of mine call me the day after I told him about the organic mosquito controls, he sold 20 houses for me the same day I told him about it.

All I gotta say is the stuff better work, I just went with the go big or go home mentality on the mosquito control. So I hope it doesn't come back around and bite me (pun intended):dizzy:

I will be spraying next week as it wont stop raining here.....again....

americanlawn
07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Good for you turf hokie. We've been pretty dry here for a month, but I see on National news the four inch rains you guys are getting.

I sprayed my 2 acres on July 4th morning. Worked fine, but then we received light frequent rains. So I sprayed again on July 11 -- now we can still go outside at night with no mosquito bites. But I'll probably spray again this weekend.

IMO Mosquito Barrier lasts a long time (weeks) unless you get a heavy rain or frequent light rains. Then you may want to spray more often for nearly 100% protection.

We enjoy watching the lightning bugs in our backyard at night. Got some lacewings too. Cool.

turf hokie
07-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Good for you turf hokie. We've been pretty dry here for a month, but I see on National news the four inch rains you guys are getting.

I sprayed my 2 acres on July 4th morning. Worked fine, but then we received light frequent rains. So I sprayed again on July 11 -- now we can still go outside at night with no mosquito bites. But I'll probably spray again this weekend.

IMO Mosquito Barrier lasts a long time (weeks) unless you get a heavy rain or frequent light rains. Then you may want to spray more often for nearly 100% protection.

We enjoy watching the lightning bugs in our backyard at night. Got some lacewings too. Cool.

That is my only concern that with all the rain the product will not last as long as it should. And being that they were bigger accounts, I am a bit nervous about having to go back should the results not be satisfactory in the first 2-3 week period. that would suck to have to retreat those large properties.

We lost all of today, Heavy rain in the AM sent the guys home. Almost brougth them back after a 2 hour dry spell, but then it started thunder and lightning. Will have to drain my pool again tomorrow. I dont ever remember a summer that was this rainy. I have had to drain my pool several times and have not had to add water from evaporation yet.

americanlawn
07-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Tough deal buddy - heavy/frequent rains affect all mosquito products. Spray Talstar on one day, but there is little residual barrier. That's why we like MB.

My wife takes care of our pool, and everytime it rains, it changes the pH, etc. We cover the pool with a "solar panel" to keep the water temp warm & keep out most leaves. It's a never ending battle. I'm a "low maintenance" guy (like most), but rainfall affects pool water as well as mosquito protection.

Bottom line, Mosquito Barrier shines above all others. IMO

Rlclawnguy
08-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Does anyone know of any difference between Mosquito Barrier and Garlic Barrier. They look to be exactly the same.

Pythium
08-03-2009, 04:15 PM
So I have tried MB out. Here is my initial thoughts and applications. 2oz a gallon/ back pack sprayer fine mist (per directions) I have done my house, our owners house, a neighbors and our office managers. All have varying level of mosquito problems.
First the smell WOW, I thought I knew what to expect but WOW was it strong even after dilution. It is NOT however an unpleasant odor. Just VERY garlicy.
Second, I don't think it kills mosquitoes as they claim. I directly sprayed mosquitoes at our office managers house and didn't see any dead nor did she. I may be wrong on this one.
Third. backpack spraying it sucks, takes too long.
Fourth. I do believe it works, everyone noticed a reduction in mosquitoes for a couple of days (we have had rain since the apps) but not much control now (it has been 10 days since applications).

I was wondering if mixing in a sticker would "make it last longer" not allowing it to evaporate as quickly. Any thoughts??
I do need a larger volume applicator to make this cost effective and the product more effective.
What about a blower mister. anyone use this?

americanlawn
08-03-2009, 06:39 PM
As far as I know, GB & MB are identical. phasthound could tell you for sure.

As far as spraying the product, I consider it the same as when we spray dormant oil on trees/shrubs (100% spray coverage is the best), so high pressure & volume offers the best control - especially when spraying shrubs & stuff.

I sprayed our home & office last week, and now there are no skiters here (I figure my neighbors are bitching though) :laugh:. I even sprayed inside our office (fine mist) cuz gnats were getting through the window screens -- now no gnats either.

turf hokie
08-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I just ordered 5 cases. Plan on spraying with a tree gun and a JD9 gun at 200psi at full coverage. Planning on spraying mid next week if the weather cooperates. I will report back as well.

NattyLawn
08-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know of any difference between Mosquito Barrier and Garlic Barrier. They look to be exactly the same.

For some reason, there's less AI in Garlic Barrier QUART sizes only. Otherwise, they're identical.

Rlclawnguy
08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
well the quart size is only a 10% solution but is basically the same. It just gets mixed differently. I'm trying to compare the 1 gallon bottles.

NattyLawn
08-04-2009, 03:34 PM
well the quart size is only a 10% solution but is basically the same. It just gets mixed differently. I'm trying to compare the 1 gallon bottles.

The gallons are the same...I was trying to say in my last post that all other sizes but the quarts have the same AI.

humble1
08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I just ordered 5 cases. Plan on spraying with a tree gun and a JD9 gun at 200psi at full coverage. Planning on spraying mid next week if the weather cooperates. I will report back as well.

did you spray yet?

phasthound
08-10-2009, 07:56 PM

There is no difference in the gallon bottles except marketing.

I'm not convinced it kills, but it does work well as a repellent if used as directed. The instructions state that for best results, do not apply if rain is expected in 24-48 hours. It needs time to be absorbed by the plant. You can help this by adding 1 oz of liquid humate to 10 gal of mix.

I applied it by hand sprayer for the first time while on vacation. It worked, but I do not recommend any professional to make applications this way.

turf hokie
08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
did you spray yet?

Sorry, yes I sprayed houses on Friday. I was so sick of smelling the garlic by the end of the day.....

It does have a solid order to it. But I had one of the homeowners update me on how long they felt it was before the smell was not as noticeable. They called and told me it was about 20-30 minutes before it stopped being extremely noticeable and about an hour before they stopped smelling it all together.

So that is good.

The bad is that I got one complaint yesterday about some mosquitoes. Irrigation system is off and no rain until tonite.

I will retreat on Wednesday as we are getting heavy rain tonite and good chance again tomorrow.

I am thinking maybe that I did not get enough onto the arborvitae around the pool area as this was where the problem was. It was also the first house I ever sprayed with the barrier. So at this point I am assuming it was my fault. I mixed at 1 gal per 50 of water, but after looking at my usages, I may have gone a bit lighter than I should have with the finished product on this house.

But, one case down and only one complaint so far. I will update after the follow-up application.

Welcome back Barry, hope you are well rested for the fall run ;)

yz250fpilot
08-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I've got a Stihl SR 420 backpack blower/mister and a case of mosquito barrier that should be in my hands by this Thursday or Friday. There's a company around here that is installing mosquito deterring systems right and left for an astronomical price. I'm going to try this out on a few houses and see how Alabama mosquitos react to it. If it's a good outcome, I'm going to start offering applications. :drinkup:

h0mr12
08-22-2009, 04:23 AM
How is this working out for you fellas that just have the back pack sprayers?

Pythium
08-23-2009, 04:01 PM
We saw some control at 2oz per gallon. About 5-7 days with the backpack sprayer. It does take a long time apply with it. I have to get my mosquito control lic. before we can charge for it. Ohio dept. of Ag says you have to have a lic. to spray for mosquitoes even if it is an EPA 25b exempt product.

americanlawn
08-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Received another "thank you" note today with her payment:

"Thanks!"
"The Mosquito Barrier allows our grandchildren to have so much fun in our yard!, Judy".

This lady has woods on both sides and a pond a few feet behind the backyard with tall grass between. (mosquito heaven)

Thanks Barry (phasthound) for providing our customers with a safe product that works.

Grass.Catcher
08-26-2009, 09:09 AM
We have been using mosquito barrier this year. We do 5 services through the year. We charge $7.00/1000m. We have had great results with this product. We also have a one time application called a Party Spray. Several customers have had outdoor parties and we applied 2-3 days before and had no mosquitos. It is $9.00/1000m

grass4gas
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
So Turf Hokie, how did the MB work for you?

grassman177
01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
we got some but failed to ever try it out, and of course this year was a bad year for those stupid useless pests!!!!

will have to give it a go testing in 2011, and if we like our results, take the test for it and start offering it!

abrightday
01-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Here in Florida resistant chinch bugs have been bad,,many companies using the new pesticide arena costs are over $500.00 for a gallon:dizzy:, any thoughts??

yz250fpilot
06-02-2011, 03:02 PM
I've got a Stihl SR 420 backpack blower/mister and a case of mosquito barrier that should be in my hands by this Thursday or Friday. There's a company around here that is installing mosquito deterring systems right and left for an astronomical price. I'm going to try this out on a few houses and see how Alabama mosquitos react to it. If it's a good outcome, I'm going to start offering applications. :drinkup:

I tried this out with varying mixture ratios last year on my own home and honestly...I could not tell any reduction in mosquitoes. I put 3 different applications down then threw the rest of the case in my storage unit. I logged on today just out of curiosity to see what had transpired on this thread with others. It doesn't look like there is a whole lot of feedback.

On a sidenote, the stihl SR 420 is an AWESOME machine for applying liquid mixtures!! It did an amazing job!! Too bad it is sitting in my storage unit hardly used also!

turf hokie
06-02-2011, 09:33 PM
I tried this out with varying mixture ratios last year on my own home and honestly...I could not tell any reduction in mosquitoes. I put 3 different applications down then threw the rest of the case in my storage unit. I logged on today just out of curiosity to see what had transpired on this thread with others. It doesn't look like there is a whole lot of feedback.

On a sidenote, the stihl SR 420 is an AWESOME machine for applying liquid mixtures!! It did an amazing job!! Too bad it is sitting in my storage unit hardly used also!

I think it the thread kinda died...sorry.

I can tell you this, I was not happy with the call backs we had. I have 3 cases sitting in my warehouse that went unused, we stopped advertising the service and only provide mosquito sprays when requested and we used traditional methods when we do, no call backs with the tried and true methods, I am disappointed it didnt work out, I had extremely high hopes and a customer base willing to buy......

americanlawn
06-02-2011, 10:38 PM
IMO the best customer satisfaction is when one uses Crosscheck/Astro/Scimitar, etc cuz it kills nearly all skeeters on contact (even though it's short-lived). We have seen great results with Mosquito Barrier ONLY IF we do not experience frequent rain events after we spray. But in our area, that's usually not until July or so. My next door neighbor even complained that "I sent my mosquitoes his way" after using Mosquito Barrier last summer.

Previous poster (phasthound, who sells it) recommended to use garlic 1.3 oz per gallon/ 2 gallons per 1000 square feet. This could be why we have had nice residual. We use a J-D9 pistol or a tall tree gun - both apply his recommended rate. I got beat up a bit last year from others saying foggers & mist blowers were better -- guessing now this may have been incorrect advice - especially from what I'm seeing from posts regarding low volume equipment.

We also tried "ICT Essential" for "quick kill + residual" (beet, garlic, etc). Never again -- it didn't kill anything, and showed little repellent capability IMO.

My favorite mosquito "total kill + protection" = a fresh mix of Mosquito Barrier + Crosscheck. The trick is to make sure it's fresh so the garlic aroma is still in place. This method has also been verified by our land grant university. Problem is, it's somewhat costly. One has to charge more for sure, but this is what I use on our property. >> Oh yes, I got beat up on this method last year too cuz others said a "repellent & an insecticide" could not be mixed together. (do a web search, and you can find this all over the place) :cool2:

turf hokie
06-03-2011, 07:42 AM
We used a JD-9 gun as well and agree that products like crosscheck give us the best results.

phasthound
06-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I�ve used both products for mosquito control and have found them better than using chemicals because of the residual repellency. OTOH, I�ve heard mixed results from others using either products.

I think the varying results depend upon weather conditions, mosquito populations, application techniques and customer expectations. That being said, there are differences in the products. Mosquito Barrier is more cost effective than ICT Essential-1, however it does not kill on contact and is not effective against the wide range of insects and mites as ICT Essential-1.

superintendent
06-04-2011, 01:16 AM
I put an ad in the paper that will be coming out tomorrow. Do yall still say MB is still the best? I was going to use broadcide. What do yall know about a br600 fogger for the job or should I just use my 200 gal tank that's in my truck that I use to fill water in my z. This will be my first time doing this so need all the help I can get. For some of yall that use it last yr for the first time how was it. Have any of yall use broadcide and MB and if yes which one did yall like best Just thinking what about a 25 gal tank with a JD 9 gun in the back of a mule

FLAhaulboy
06-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Bifen IT is 100 times better than MB.

LiveGreenLawn
06-05-2011, 10:22 PM
What are you charging for a basic home. 1/2-1 acre lot. Entire property? Just wondering what your are charging for this treatment?
Posted via Mobile Device

Classic Lighting
05-14-2012, 10:50 PM
After reading through this thread, I decided to purchase this product and spray it at my residence. The following is my experience after 3 applications.

Plain and simple- IT DOES NOT EFFECT MOSQUITOS AT ALL. I sprayed on my residence and the surrounding flowerbeds/ entertaining areas. Each app was 2-3 weeks apart and there was no significant rainfall. I sprayed according to the directions (probably a little stronger than recommended) and in the evenings.
I continue to be overrun by mosqitos. Within minutes of spraying, I am covered in mosquitos. It seems to have no effect at all. I'm very disappointed in the results.
With that being said, can anyone recommend other products to repel mosquitos?

WestGaPineStraw
05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
I use it all the time, you did something wrong! What kind of equipment did you use to apply?

Bwing96
05-14-2012, 11:07 PM
I don't care for it either, it doesn't work very well in my equipment. I think it would do better if I had enough agitation. I have some I'd like to sell.

Classic Lighting
05-14-2012, 11:34 PM
I use it all the time, you did something wrong! What kind of equipment did you use to apply?

Shindaiwa backpack sprayer, 2oz/ gallon

Shades of Green LService
05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
I've used this a few years ago. It does work but i found that it lasts only 3-4 weeks tops. There is a very Distinct garlic smell and be prepared to clean those tips and screens as this is a very dirty product.

Ric
05-15-2012, 05:41 PM

IMHO you all are missing the boat by not selling Mosquito Mist Systems. These are installed just like or similar to Irrigation systems only with High pressure pumps on a timer that sprays a Light Mist of Pyrethrin. You get a big Bump up front for installing the System and a reoccurrencing maintenance account. I am not going to do all the work for you so Google Mosquito Mist Systems.

humble1
05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
The only thing with the misting systems is that there is a lot of build up on upper end painted metal fences, also there is no way to treat the lawn areas on big property just the house and beds. I still think spraying is the best way to treat plus I can get 20 ft into tress

IMHO you all are missing the boat by not selling Mosquito Mist Systems. These are installed just like or similar to Irrigation systems only with High pressure pumps on a timer that sprays a Light Mist of Pyrethrin. You get a big Bump up front for installing the System and a reoccurrencing maintenance account. I am not going to do all the work for you so Google Mosquito Mist Systems.

Posted via Mobile Device

eggy
02-13-2013, 09:41 AM
I wanted to pull this post back up to see if anyone is still offfering this service or if everyone stopped/out of buisness. Still wondering if the garlic barrier would work and the smell...also concerned about drift from backpack misters if appling talstar or similar....thoughts? I could sell it as a vampire barrier as well.....:drinkup:

DUSTYCEDAR
02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
is the smell worse with a hot day? how does rain effect this?

eggy
02-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Seems like you could use a backpack fogger/mister with deet? I could sell in deet however not so much talstar..etc...

americanlawn
02-13-2013, 10:17 PM
We stopped using Mosquito Barrier. Worked fine during dry weather, but rainfall kills it IMO. Then we started using the "beet stuff" cuz they said it was a good overall product......... never again, cuz it's worthless. Doesn't kill skeeters, doesn't last. my 2 cents

p.s. still got some we will never use

eggy
02-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Does anyone know the recommended amount of talstar of using a backpack mister..I can not find the amount on the label. It says .33 to 1 ounce per gallon of water to treat 1,000sq ft. That sound like a rate for a backpack sprayer not mister/fogger. At that rate to treat one acre shrubs/lawn I would be using almost 43.5 gallons of dilluted product ..

yardman58
03-25-2013, 02:05 PM
how long does the mosquito barrier last once it is sprayed??
How does rain effect it time length??
yardman58

Stuttering Stan
03-26-2013, 11:28 PM
how long does the mosquito barrier last once it is sprayed??
How does rain effect it time length??
yardman58

In my opinion, it lasts a short time (1 dry week). If it rains, effectiveness is dramitically reduced below 1 week.
It's not a product that I can honestly recommend.

yardman58
03-28-2013, 08:10 PM
How for can a mowquito fly before it has to land??
Richard

yardman58
03-29-2013, 10:05 AM
I am asking how for a mowquito can fly for the reason of how large an area that must be sprayed to be the most effected for control. A friend of mine said that a mosquito can only fly 8 feet. If so this is a good selling point for the use of pesticides for controling mosquitos. When the area is sprayed, the mosquito would have to land an be infected with the pesticide and then BAM he is dead.
Any one know this answer????

mr.lawn works
05-29-2013, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=americanlawn;4675858]We stopped using Mosquito Barrier. Worked fine during dry weather, but rainfall kills it IMO. Then we started using the "beet stuff" cuz they said it was a good overall product......... never again, cuz it's worthless. Doesn't kill skeeters, doesn't last. my 2 cents

p.s. still got some we will never use[/QUOTE

Larry what do you guys use now??? Not sure I know what the "Beet Stuff" is! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
05-29-2013, 11:24 PM
I got my first mosquito bite today. May 29.
Temp was about 82.
Growing Degree Days was at 402 (Base 50), accumulation for the season.
Season has been rainy, and cooler than usual, about 10 days later than usual.

americanlawn
05-30-2013, 06:46 PM
The beet oil was from phasthound's company. We found it to be useless. Best product seems to be Astro insecticide (quick kill). Also had the great results combining Astro with "Mosquito Barrier". But must be a fresh mix so the garlic smell (repellent) is present. No skiters here yet (to speak of). But setting up to be a banner year. Record spring rainfall in Iowa & still getting more. (141 years of weather data) yikes

phasthound
05-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Larry,

I'm sorry the product we sent you did not work out well for you. But let's get our facts straight. it was not "beet juice", the correct name of the product is ICT Organics Essential 1-PHE which contains a broad range of botanical extracts and essential oils to reduce pest pressure. As the label states, the most efficient way to apply it is with a backpack mist-blower at the rate of 6 oz Essential-1 per 3 gal / water. Apply: 3 gallons mix /10,000 sq ft. The small particle size is critical for successful applications. I believe you were using a JD9 spray gun which produces large droplets. We have many companies using this product successfully with mist-blowers.

When applied properly, Essential 1-PHE will provide a rapid knock-down and residual repellency for 3-5 weeks. One big advantage to using products like this is they have little effect on beneficial insects which are important predators of many insects which are harmful to turf and ornamentals. The more you kill the beneficials, the more problems your customers will have.

BrockmanTLC
06-28-2014, 10:46 AM
I have been using this product off and on for years and a couple of years ago started a family business. This wasn't a big focus for us so we are doing our first application in a couple of years today for grad party today. I have used this for personal use (camping, BBQ's) the most but most customers that we have done this for in the past it has worked well with. I'm hoping for good results. I have 2 more jobs in the works. Its an easy job and if it works, they keep coming back.

texsota
06-29-2014, 01:26 PM
My husband and I are retired. We are originally from Texas and have been in Minnesota for about 25 years. We don't let the 2 grandsons outside because of the skeeters and the diseases they carry, plus, we can't entertain except in the heat of the day. We did a lot of research and here is what we found. Mow your yard before spraying. We have decided to buy a Stihl SR 200. A man who has several more expensive ones said it can't be beat. The reason regular sprayers don't work well is when you just spray, the liquid hits leaves, etc. and rolls off. You need to use a blower sprayer that produces a mist. A mist is halfway between a spray and a fog. This is because the mist is fine enough that as it blows the mist around it coats the top and the undersides of the leaves. Once coated, everything is coated, it needs time to dry on all surfaces. As soon as we pick up our blower mister tomorrow, we will check the weather to see when we have a stretch of no rain days. We will start at the house spraying the roof, the outside of our log home,our porches and all under our porches. We are going to hook our machine onto the seat of our John Deere mower so we can also drive and shoot the mist.We plan to spray as far up into our trees as possible, and underneath all trees close to the ground. Our grass, and all of our shrubs and flowers. Out into the woods on each side of our house, our deck and underneath, and then we will shoot the mist as far out into the wetlands as possible. Be sure to turn over anything that could hold water. On standing water, there are instructions on how to add canola oil to the mix to prevent mosquitos from laying which prevents larvae from hatching. We were told it not only kills mosquitos and their larvae, but leaves the barrier to repel them. It also repels deer and other pests that will eat everything in your yard. Everyone we talked to said it was a miracle. I used to spray with Cutters on my hose, and lay down a layer of Mosquito Beater granules, which would work pretty good for a few hours. One last trick. During the heat of the day (here, about 1 pm) all of the mosquitos go into the bushes, under the porches and out into the woods. If you spray during this time you will get them all, as they are trapped there.
Yesterday, a guy posted that as insurance he uses one of those large, round, commercial looking fans, covers the front of it with a thin sheet of screen wire, he used rare earth magnets to hold it to the fan. He puts the screen on the SUCKING side of the fan. Let it run and it will be totally covered in skeeters. He said spray them with alcohol to kill them, remove screen and knock off the mosquitos onto a newspaper and spray them again. He said if you leave them out other bugs will come and eat them, and there will be nothing left but little legs lol. I decided I didn't want any other bugs, so I'm gonna roll mine up in newspaper and toss, or dump into the compost.
Ok. For Texans and others along the border and up a ways...if you have fire ants...ants wear their "bones" or exoskeleton on the outside. Acid will kill them, so, if you mix up several large containers of hot water and mix up a strong solution of a safe acid like vinegar, lemon or orange juice, something like those with a few drops of Dawn in the containers of water. Spray the one close so you don't get bitten, then start pouring your acid mixture down into the nest hole one after another so you are sure it travels all through the nest. The Dawn help things coat good and the acid eats away their protective outer coat. I will post the letter if I can find it. Love this post, thanks for reading, hope the part about using the mist type spray makes sense.

texsota
06-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Sorry, the product is Mosquito Barrier...if you look it up on the internet, on the front page, I believe, it says Find A Retailer and you just put in your zip code and it brings up all of the places in your area that sell it. It totally explains everything about the product. Most important thing is to use a mister. We are getting the Stihl SR 200 which sells everywhere for $399. There may be used ones out there as I know they made them last year for sure.

texsota
06-29-2014, 02:01 PM
The Mosquito Barrier folks suggested Canola Oil, as it was cheap, and had no scent...no scent being the object. This was suggested for standing water. Plants breathe and take in nutrients, so I will refrain from using it on anything but standing water.
Different subject, I haven't researched it yet, but was wondering if the product being advertised on tv called Grassology, is a fake? It claims to put down very long roots and that it stays very short above ground, needing very little or no mowing. Said it would crowd out weeds. Sounded way too good, so figured it was a big lie. Even if it is, does anyone know of anything like that that I could just sow everywhere out in my grass and water it in. Thanks everyone!

texsota
06-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here, so my post ended up in about the middle of these I think. Anyway, it was about all of the research I did on Mosquito Barrier. Tomorrow I am picking up a Stihl SR 200 to use with it. To work well, you need to put it down with a blower mister, it should actually say mister. The spray must be fine enough to coat the tops and bottoms of leaves, etc. oil added to it, is just for standing water. The company said they prefer canola as it is natural and has no smell and that is the big thing. When spraying for bugs the fine mist is crucial for it to coat things and stay till it dries on everything. Check your weather and apply when you see you will have some nice warm still days. You may have to apply 2-3 times in a season, depending on if you have some gentle rains or whether you are having monsoons. Nothing will survive that. But if you apply it right, in the right kind of weather, then, even if it just rains, you will still have coverage underneath the leaves. I'm going to mix mine a little stronger than they say on the site. It won't matter to me if we just get to enjoy our yard all summer, the kids are safe, and we can entertain.

texsota
06-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Search on the internet for Mosquito Barrier. On the first page it lets you put in your zip code and it will tell you everywhere it is sold in your area. The only thing is...to do a really good job, you need a blower mister. It is made for this fine mist, for it to coat both top and bottom of them, then even after rain you should still have it on the bottom of the leaves and I'm going to mix mine a little stronger. Good luck.

texsota
06-29-2014, 03:22 PM
I only know what we were told and that was...in order for it to coat leaves top and bottom, you needa blower mister, as it blows fine enough droplets to work right and stay on them till they have time to dry good. It made good sense to me that the other sprayers put out spray with droplets too big and they just roll off cutting down on your efficiency. That's why we are buying the Stihl SR 200 which produces the fine mist, and the cost is $399.oo. But I'm sure there are other misters...paula

texsota
06-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Char, look for my posts, already did a lot of research, lots of others but lots of not so good reviews even though they were cheaper. We are buying the Stihl SR 200, at $399.00 since we will be a long time and I want it to work like they say it should. There are more expensive ones but they aren't as good as the 200 is for the job
Paula

texsota
06-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Garlic barrier is formulated for your veggie/fruit patch, mosquito barrier is for the whole yard.

texsota
06-29-2014, 03:37 PM
One guy said he has the 420 but way preferred the sr 200, so, we spent less and got the one he suggested. I think in all he had 3 kinds.

texsota
06-29-2014, 03:51 PM
After reading through this thread, I decided to purchase this product and spray it at my residence. The following is my experience after 3 applications.

Plain and simple- IT DOES NOT EFFECT MOSQUITOS AT ALL. I sprayed on my residence and the surrounding flowerbeds/ entertaining areas. Each app was 2-3 weeks apart and there was no significant rainfall. I sprayed according to the directions (probably a little stronger than recommended) and in the evenings.
I continue to be overrun by mosqitos. Within minutes of spraying, I am covered in mosquitos. It seems to have no effect at all. I'm very disappointed in the results.
With that being said, can anyone recommend other products to repel mosquitos?
I was told what you applied it with made all the difference, that and being sure you used at least the recommended amt. per gallon, although I will use more. It doesn't seem like so many people could have such luck with it and you not have any. What did you apply it with. It says use a blower mister or the product will just run off the leaves, etc.

texsota
06-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Must be blower mister to apply. Saw a guy who said he did ok without but most use the wrong thing to apply and it just rolls off the leaves.

texsota
06-29-2014, 04:46 PM
On their site, they say 2 times a season or more if a bad year and it will be bad this year with rain ever week to a couple of weeks. Any thing that gives us a break for even a week is great. None of the chemical stuff works but the moment you spray it, and it kills everything. Its why we almost have no lightening bugs anymore and no horned toads in Texas anymore. So for something that works a week or two after this rain, and doesn't kill off all the good and pretty bugs is a plus for me.

texsota
06-29-2014, 04:59 PM

Garlic for food gardens and mb for everything else, I have no idea why but wish I knew.

CarolinaWater.org
07-03-2014, 11:56 AM
The Stihl SR-200 is a good unit, it is more comfortable & gives more bang for the buck than the larger SR-450's IMHO. The best unit, if you can find it, is the SR-420, they don't make them anymore but this is the machine I personally use daily with the best results & is a pleasure to use vs. the new SR-450.

I have tried the mosquito barrier, its fine for home use but if you are going to sell a service & stand behind it then its a hard sale. Talstar is the best thing for mosquitoes, it will last for 28 days even with rainfall & you wont get call backs, 98% reduction in mosquitoes. If you are going to sell the mosquito barrier then you have to apply every two weeks & results are between 50- 80% reduction, so it costs twice as much and is half as effective as traditional methods...

Here is a link to an article of actual university research that was done on mosquito spraying using a Stihl SR-420, this article tells you everything you ever wanted to know about mosquito control using a mist blower & traditional chemicals: http://www.pctonline.com/Article.aspx?article_id=38451

greenskeeper44
07-03-2014, 10:09 PM
We bought 2 200 this year and they are awesome...I felt the 450 we're too bulky and heavy....I tried mosquito barrier for a while but just don't feel comfortable offering it as a service...not very good results and I applied with the stihl 200...Bifenthrin is the way to go...like Carolina said 28 days with great control...
Posted via Mobile Device

americanlawn
07-05-2014, 03:27 PM
We are using less Mosquito Barrier due to frequent rains. Bifenthrin is my favorite "bug killer", but it is very short-lived. We have had decent results with the garlic oil, but only during dry extended spells in past years.

My "Cadillac spray" = bifenthrin + garlic oil. BUT.......it must be a fresh mix so the bifen does not taint the odor of garlic.

Mist blowers are NOT always the best method of applying. Several reasons. Drift/chemical trespass, or how about if you have to spray (from above) down a steep bank along a pond or lakeshore, etc. Mist blowers are also not always practical regarding dense foliage compared to 400 - 600 psi tree/shrub pistols/guns -- I'm talkin' about hitting the target pest.

thoughts?

RigglePLC
07-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Good point, Larry.
Years ago a company I worked for, had an urgent call from the city parks people, about a tennis court. When I got out there the tennis court was surrounded on three sides by dense low brush and trees. It was pretty much impossible to play tennis with the number of mosquitoes biting potential players. I used about a hundred gallons of spray at high pressure with the tree spraying gun. I used our Sevin tree spraying formula; sprayed as far into the brush as I could. It helped--I think--at least I did not have to retreat it.

CarolinaWater.org
07-07-2014, 04:45 PM
I agree completely, the mist blower is not well suited for large jobs, but has its niche in treating up to 1acre residential properties quickly. Areas with kudzu that grows into the trees are almost impossible to properly treat with a mist blower.

Spreader sticker makes a huge difference in how well an application will last as well, Its a must have when applying to vegetation.

americanlawn
07-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Carolina -- I did not know that (spreader/sticker). Good info.

Riggle -- I'm surprised ric has not yet criticized me on this subject :laugh: