PDA

View Full Version : And the wait is on...

Briley1975
06-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Aerated, raked the plugs to brake them up, mowed again, 1 yd organic topsoil/sand and a couple pounds of seed. Hopefully I havent missed anything.

So now I wait.

While I am waiting, anyone have any suggestions on a reel mower? Have been thinking about it for a while, just havent done it as the mower we have now was free but i fear may be on its last legs(rotary puch). Not looking for anything too fancy, small yard, barely 1/4 ac of mowed space. i just want to get something that cuts a little closer. Mower I have now will get to 1.5" although i have messed with it and can get it a little closer to 1 1/4". I'd like to get it down to closer to 1". I don't like messing with this one as it will leave rings in places around the bumps. I found a 20" craftsman reel on craigslist. Wodering if it would be worth it

Briley1975
06-24-2009, 08:27 PM
someone please reassure me that this is going to look better in a week or two. :hammerhead: Got home from work tonight and the clumps- or what i thought were clumps of topsoil looks to be mulch... and sitting all over the lawn. :hammerhead: Wasnt this supposed to be an easy project??

Whitey4
06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Easy? LOL. What is it you are planting that you want it mowed so low? .few grasses will do well at those heights.... me thinks you need to take another look at your whole strategy.

kirk1701
06-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Easy? LOL. What is it you are planting that you want it mowed so low? .few grasses will do well at those heights.... me thinks you need to take another look at your whole strategy.

Agreed.
He's in NC so I'm assuming fescue

Briley1975
06-25-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm in upstate SC- with Bermuda. I have been told by my neighbors that it used to look like a million bucks, until the last people moved in and it went to crap. It was foreclosed and sat empty for most of last year. It's been a good 3 or 4 years since it was really taken care of.

Starting to second guess myself about TruGreen as they havent done much in my opinion to fix the problems. Just keep saying, "well we loaded it up with fertilizer and it will really green up now". Heck I could go out with a can of freakin green spray paint and make it "green up" you doof. i want it thicker too. I guess my main reason for using them and not doing it myself was the fact that we had a million other projects going on when we moved and I had zero time to do it. We had a decent amount of weeds in the back- which looks ok now- partly due to them and partly due to my wife spending time pulling a bunch of the stuff up.

Maybe I am getting worked up over nothing but when i got home from work and saw quarter sized chunks of mulch sitting everywhere I freaked. Granted I put the stuff down but didnt notice it that bad when I bought it yesterday.

Look at the bright side I guess... I have 29 years and 9 months worth of a mortgage to figure the yard work out! I have given myself a 2 year window to get it fixed though, Maybe I am being too uptight about it ;) Then again, there is always astro-turf- much less mowing :cool2: