PDA

View Full Version : aeration or power raking

motichka218
06-24-2009, 01:53 PM
whats better aeration or power raking.i don't have ether machine, but I'm willing to buy one I'm just not sure on what to get. also what is the going rate for aeration and whats the going rate on power raking.

motichka218
06-24-2009, 02:05 PM
what are good brands to buy for either one

kirk1701
06-24-2009, 02:16 PM
whats better aeration or power raking.i don't have ether machine, but I'm willing to buy one I'm just not sure on what to get. also what is the going rate for aeration and whats the going rate on power raking.

Had the same question in here last year; I was told power rake because it puts the holes in the ground without tearing up the turf as bad plus you have the option to lay some seed down as well.

I did just that, rented one myself and got to say I was completely satisfied with the results.

Plan on doing again this fall only later in the fall, I did too early.

motichka218
06-24-2009, 02:20 PM
thanks do you no any of the rates

kirk1701
06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
thanks do you no any of the rates

I just rented mine as I'm a homeowner not a pro.

Did get dam lucky, walked in on a Friday, $50 a day but since they were closed on the weekend I had it till Monday for one day's rental :walking:

fl-landscapes
06-24-2009, 02:46 PM
aerating and power raking are two different things. It's not either or. Aerating alleviates soil compaction and allows better oxygen flow to the root zone and power raking removes thatch from turf. So if you are in an area with clay soils and compaction is a problem go with an aerator if you are in an area where your grasses tend to have excessive thatch go with a power rake. Kirk you may have your machines confused....the aerator puts holes in your soil with hollow tines and the power rake will tear up your lawn a bit. People usually aerate before over seeding

kirk1701
06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
aerating and power raking are two different things. It's not either or. Aerating alleviates soil compaction and allows better oxygen flow to the root zone and power raking removes thatch from turf. So if you are in an area with clay soils and compaction is a problem go with an aerator if you are in an area where your grasses tend to have excessive thatch go with a power rake. Kirk you may have your machines confused....the aerator puts holes in your soil with hollow tines and the power rake will tear up your lawn a bit. People usually aerate before over seeding

No fl it's on here somewhere, probably last July or aug as I rented the power rake in Sept after a long battle last year at this time with brown patch and trying to reseed the back by just killing it off and spreading seed in the dead grass then the thread turned into rent a power rake and I was very iffy of that but eventually did then somewhere along the way the discussion came up about the difference between the power rake Vs aerator and from there the tread turned into the difference between the two :dizzy:

It was a long thread, heck I have problems remembering yesterday sometimes but that stuck out and I committed it to memory for some reason probably because I seen aerating done, knew how left the holes and after I used the power rake it like you said, tore up the turf a but but recovered in two weeks.

motichka218
06-24-2009, 05:25 PM
do you no the rates most landscapers get for either power raking or aerating

JNyz
06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
We do aeration for .01 per sq. foot. $50.00 minimum.

motichka218
06-24-2009, 05:54 PM
ok thanks that helps alot

mdvaden
06-24-2009, 06:01 PM
If I was going to buy just one, probably the power rake.

Because the thatching seems to have a much bigger window of oportunity for when I could use the machine, than the aerator.

Also, far to many aeration services sell the service prematurely when the soil is still soft enough for the holes to close up from mowing, etc..

Both machines can be rented here, and I think I could maintain the thatcher myself easier.

More turf can be thatched square-footage-wise than aerated, due to surface tree roots. So that's more potential coverage. A thatcher can be lifted better to skim over roots - in my opinion.

starry night
06-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Again some of you guys don't get it. As fl-landscapes said the machines are for two distinct purposes. As for the holes closing up after aerating....of course they do. If they didn't close up, there would be no compaction alleviated.

motichka218
06-24-2009, 06:24 PM
whats the rate for power raking

JNyz
06-24-2009, 07:35 PM

It really depends on the amount of thatch that you remove. I have charge 400.00 for a 10,000 sq ft lawn and 350.00 for a 15,000 sq ft lawn. Both jobs took the same amount of time. Just charge time and materials and no one gets hurt. When you are thatching you also have dumping charges more fuel and drive time because of the dumping and all must be factored in. Shoot for 1200.00 per day with 2 men. The more you charge the happier you will be at the end of the day.

MileHigh
06-24-2009, 07:49 PM
During the spring is the best time to power rake...before all the green comes through.

I offer in the spring what I call a "spring special" I power rake, aerate, and fertilize for $100.00, under 4000 sq/ft. It sells like hotcakes.

For just a power raking, I charge $65.00 for 4000 sq/ft and under. For aeration I'm around $35.00. When they want both I give a deal and tell them about the fert, they usually tell neighbors and you end up doing like 6 on a street.

I guess Im a lot lower than JNyz in my prices.

The thing about power raking is the debris you have to haul away....believe me, you would not believe how much thatch can come out of a lawn.

I've tried many of the brands, Classen, Ryan, Bluebird, Billy Goat. Classen has the best power rake, Bluebird has got the beefiest aerator. I have a Ryan, and I hate the way it feels in comparison the the Bluebird. JMO

alltoroformetwo
06-24-2009, 08:10 PM
what are good brands to buy for either one

Used Bluebirds will run you about $450-$500 for the powerake and $500 - $1000 for the aerator. Check with your local rental company for a low hour unit.

mdvaden
06-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Again some of you guys don't get it. As fl-landscapes said the machines are for two distinct purposes. As for the holes closing up after aerating....of course they do. If they didn't close up, there would be no compaction alleviated.

Alleviate compaction ??

Maybe if someone makes 2 or 3 passes. Which I usually tell homeowners. I don't aerate. But tell them to pay to have it gone over several times, otherwise they are like pee-ing in the wind.

Once is better than nothing though.

But surface coverage, one pass is what - maybe 5% or less coverage of the surface?

We're just talking a small hole the diameter of a Mozarella cheese stick within a fair number of square inches.

fl-landscapes
06-24-2009, 10:16 PM
you hope the holes close up with some new root growth and maybe some of that compost you spread on after aerating. I have a billy goat aerator and it's a bear to operate I will replace it with the lawn solutions aerator eventually. I also have the lawn solutions 13 hp verti-cutter slit seeder, great machine for seeding or thatch removal, just change the cutting blades for each situation. And I have the earth and turf 100sp top dresser for spreading compost over lawns we may be renovating. Your prices do seem a little low considering all the work to remove that thatch from a lawn. But if your making money and staying busy that's what counts. We always make several passes as you said one pass doesn't do much. Different machines have different holes per sq ft.

starry night
06-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Alleviate compaction ??

Maybe if someone makes 2 or 3 passes. Which I usually tell homeowners. I don't aerate. But tell them to pay to have it gone over several times, otherwise they are like pee-ing in the wind.

Once is better than nothing though.

But surface coverage, one pass is what - maybe 5% or less coverage of the surface?

We're just talking a small hole the diameter of a Mozarella cheese stick within a fair number of square inches.

I couldn't understand if you were agreeing with me or not. Of course, you have to make several passes even with a good professional plugger. I wouldn't suggest to anyone that one pass is enough. That's probably why I charge so much more than some of the guiys who have posted on this thread.

mdvaden
06-24-2009, 10:43 PM
I couldn't understand if you were agreeing with me or not. Of course, you have to make several passes even with a good professional plugger. I wouldn't suggest to anyone that one pass is enough. That's probably why I charge so much more than some of the guiys who have posted on this thread.

Basically I'm agreeing, and the apparent disagreement is really disappointment that there is not much better way to alleviate compaction sometimes when homeowners and pets put the pounding on turf.

Seems that nothing beat a rototiller - but that would be nasty wouldn't it !!

:)

starry night
06-24-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm a fanatic about compaction. I never walk the same line on my own lawn.
And when my crew is on a landscape job--- same thing --- I make them walk different lines or take slightly off lines when moving wheelbarrows.
Now about the dogs!! I can't get my dog (or cat) to walk different paths. Taking the same path is not an instinct that can be changed. So I just have to core aerate more often where they walk. :)

bugguy8
06-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Alot of good posting in this thread...

I do have a question to add into this.

I understand it is better to aerate with more then just 1 pass.

How about Thatching? Is one pass sufficient or once you've made 1 pass you inspect the lawn to see if another is needed?

Also, I've seen thatchers that attach to the front of the mower and ones that attach to the back. The mower it would attack to is a Z-Turn. Which is better and why?

Thanks in advance.

fl-landscapes
06-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Alot of good posting in this thread...

I do have a question to add into this.

I understand it is better to aerate with more then just 1 pass.

How about Thatching? Is one pass sufficient or once you've made 1 pass you inspect the lawn to see if another is needed?

Also, I've seen thatchers that attach to the front of the mower and ones that attach to the back. The mower it would attack to is a Z-Turn. Which is better and why?

Thanks in advance.

That all depends too. I use a verti-cutter and only go one direction when thatching st augustine or Zoysia so I don't do too much damage to the stolons and stress the lawn out. A power rake I am sure you can go over it a few times and not cause as much harm. Like I said I don't use a power rake and maybe someone who does can comment. But I would think rake attached to the front of a ztr with a bagging system would make for quick clean up of all that thatch.

bugguy8
06-25-2009, 03:07 PM
And again Fl-Landscapes.... you are full of knowledge....

Your wisdom is greatly appreciated and will be used.....

Thanks

fl-landscapes
06-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Your welcome. hope it helps. It was nice to have a thread without people getting into a fight over opinions :rolleyes:

bugguy8
06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Yes I noticed alot of bickering over stuff here.....

Not everyone likes the same equipment or agree on the best way to aerate or anything else.

I am just looking for opinions and advice and will try what I can and then use what works best for me. It may not be the advice that is prefered but if it works for me then thats what I will use.

I dont know if you can shoot direct mails to certain members here on this site, but if you dont mind Fl-Landscapes I would like to direct contact you and pick your brain?

I am out of central florida and am looking to start up my own lawn mowing business.It will be Solo.... Im tired of working for others... No Pesticide or fertilization for know. Just the basic with annual clean-ups and mulching.

But great advice on this thread.

starry night
06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Aerating is the best thing you can do for a lawn. All you guys who talk about dethatching are idiots. In fact, all of you on here are idiots. Don't you have work to do?

bugguy8
06-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Im sure glad dirtandhoops admits hes an idiot....:laugh:

bigslick7878
06-25-2009, 08:36 PM
No point in going over it more than once with a power rake,just a waste of time.

Just by going over it one time you will pull out all the thatch that is there.

bigslick7878
06-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Aerating is the best thing you can do for a lawn. All you guys who talk about dethatching are idiots. In fact, all of you on here are idiots. Don't you have work to do?

No dethatching,THEN aerating and then over seeding/fertilizing is the best thing you can do.

Just make sure it is in the spring or fall.

starry night
06-25-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm outta here. Heading over to the calm and serene Organic Forum.
It kinda reminds me of "Cheers" where everybody knows your name.

motichka218
06-26-2009, 05:35 PM
i was in homedepot the other day and i came across a lawn mower blade that dethatches,bags,rakes,scalp,mulch,and cuts. it is and arnold power rake. it is a universl blade for most 21" and 22" walk behind lawn mowers. i was wondering if anyone has ever used it. also if it was any good

starry night
06-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Yep. It ranks right up there with the garden auger sold by Billy Mays.
I can also imagine it being sold by the ShamWow guy. "Folks, you have to try it to believe it. This one blade rakes and mulches, slices and dices. Look what it does to this head of lettuce. Hey, take another look in slow motion. Do you have more than one mower? Call right now and we'll double your order."

phasthound
06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
All my lawns (cool season grass) are on organic or organic based fertilizers. The soils increase in biological activity and there is no need to dethatch. The grass clippings decompose quickly, builds the soil and helps feeds the turf.

New clients are aerated and top dressed with compost then slit seeded in the fall. I like to do this every 3 years with existing clients. Results are great.

Other than that, most of my applications are organic or organic based ferts. I rarely have to treat for insects or diseases, an occasional herbicide app may be required. I charge more per app but make fewer apps per season than my competition. My clients have great lawns, pay less; I get paid more, work less.

THC
06-28-2009, 07:06 PM
I don't think I could advertise spring clean ups around here without a power raking and power brooming being a part of it. But once the spring is gone, it sits for the rest of the year... I wonder how much aeration biz some one could drum up in the middle of summer?

Fricken things cost $2800 around here (aerator) while the power rakes are about $1700.

starry night
06-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Yep. It ranks right up there with the garden auger sold by Billy Mays.
I can also imagine it being sold by the ShamWow guy. "Folks, you have to try it to believe it. This one blade rakes and mulches, slices and dices. Look what it does to this head of lettuce. Hey, take another look in slow motion. Do you have more than one mower? Call right now and we'll double your order."

Now I feel bad about mocking Billy Mays. Just heard on the radio today that his wife found him dead. (Age 50). RIP.

99monguse
07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I have been told that when aerating, you should go over the lawn several times; when you guys are charging customers for aeration are you making multiple passes? I had a guy do my lawn and he just made one pass. My father used to have TRUEGREEN/CHEMLAWN take care of his lawn and they too just blew through with one single pass. What about dethatching, same?

JNyz
07-14-2009, 05:21 PM
yep, the same.

chavezkm
07-15-2009, 09:21 AM

We charge $0.11 per sq ft just to power rake and $35 disposal fee.