PDA

View Full Version : shrub disease

mrkosar
06-24-2009, 06:18 PM
i know this is more lawnsite, but no one is responding on treeservicesite.com, so i figured i would hit up some of you guys who do lawns and tree care. my mother's bushes are dying from the top down. i don't know anything about trees or bushes, so can someone help? the leaves of the bush that are still there have almost blackish spots on them. i thought some sort of leaf blight, but she says she found tiny insects on the leaves. i'm now leaning toward mites. i told her maybe go with bon neem to kill the mites or whatever it is. the branches of some of the bushes toward the ground also have a weird bluish green mold on them. i don't know if this has anything to do with it, but need help now. half the privet bushes are dead.

here is the link to treeservicesite.com with pictures

http://www.treeservicessite.com/showthread.php?t=385

Think Green
06-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Kosar,
I will start off by saying that I need a photograph of the species of shrub you have.
It is starting to get hotter after all these torrential rains; the insects and disease is rampid already.
From what you have described, sounds like leaf spot.......closely associated with the Red-Tip Photina bush, and the insects that cause the blackish-gray mold (Epinisty) could be aphids.
Really, you need to give us some more information before anyone can replay any advice.
I am sorry, but the treesite.com did not load up for me...........I will try again and respond later!

mrkosar
06-24-2009, 11:27 PM
this should help. someone has to have seen this before.

kirk1701
06-25-2009, 12:37 AM
OMG from the discription and all specially the mentioning of "dying from the top down" & "but she says she found tiny insects on the leaves." I thought for sure it was the same thing as mine in the last post in this thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=278073&page=4

I found them tonight, looks like worms in the buds or what looks like what was buds that turned into a cocoon and pretty much has just took over the tree's.

Your's however are not as tall as mine, could it be?? NO, dare I say 2,4-D drift :cry: as I so learned the hard way from the same thread above.

Low and behold, I get to the very next thread here and..
bag worms (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=280298) which is what I have.

mngrassguy
06-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Do you know how to check for bugs on trees & shrubs?

Hold a white piece of paper under a branch and shake it. The branch that is, not the paper.:laugh: Look for bugs on the paper. Give us a pic of the bugs for an id. Bag worms would be a good guess.

RigglePLC
06-25-2009, 08:57 AM
The green mold on the lower trunks is a lichen--not harmful.
On the upper leaves I am leaning toward mites. Shake the infested leaves over a white sheet of paper. Look for insects that are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence as they move around. Of course thaey are not insects--hence the name spider mites. (not really spiders either.) What kind of bush are we looking at--is this boxwood? Take a look at this picture from U of Minnesota.
http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/Web/080BoxwoodSpiderMite.pdf

Maybe you need a miticide. Don't use sevin--it makes them worse.

mrkosar
06-25-2009, 02:43 PM
definitely not herbicide drift. i do my mother's lawn organically and the neighbors lawn gets only spot treatments from me.

not bagworms either. looks from what i've gathered and inspected that it is mites. will bon neem work or do i have to go the miticide way?

phasthound
06-25-2009, 07:27 PM
While it is hard to diagnose anything from the photos, I agree with Riggle that mites are most likely. Do the white paper test.

Treatments:
If the mites are active, simply blast the shrubs with water. The mites will not climb back up. You can use a neem spray or horticultural oil if it's not too hot. These mites will lay their eggs in the debris, so in the fall remove debris.

There are chemical approaches, just make sure (as Riggle says) not to use an insecticide, use a miticide.

turf hokie
06-25-2009, 08:37 PM
While it is hard to diagnose anything from the photos, I agree with Riggle that mites are most likely. Do the white paper test.

Treatments:
If the mites are active, simply blast the shrubs with water. The mites will not climb back up. You can use a neem spray or horticultural oil if it's not too hot. These mites will lay their eggs in the debris, so in the fall remove debris.

There are chemical approaches, just make sure (as Riggle says) not to use an insecticide, use a miticide.

What are the issues and what is too hot for the neem? or were you referring to the hort oil?

Heidi J.
06-25-2009, 09:05 PM
I was having a cig outside today, and I was checking our weeping cherry, I was shocked to to it had aphids something fierce! Not only that but it had leaf spot and some skeletonizers as well.. this is going to be a tough year for lawn and trees:dizzy:

phasthound
06-25-2009, 09:17 PM
What are the issues and what is too hot for the neem? or were you referring to the hort oil?

The best answer is to read the label. Hort oil can burn foliage if applied at some rates during hot weather with high humidity. I'd be careful with neem oil too under the same circumstances. Weather conditions that can slow down the evaporation rate of any oil product may cause a foliar burn. If you must do an application under these conditions for mites, just apply water at about 200psi. This will help reduce adult mite populations. It is wise to do a follow up application in 2 weeks with a miticide if possible.

Think Green
06-25-2009, 10:04 PM
I came back too late as I believe Riggle nailed the coffin shut!
It does look like mite damage on a few of the original or adult leaves, in the lower view point of the enlarged photo. Those large green scaley things are Lichens and not the vampire type. They are harmless!...grows on the northern side of trees or in deeply shaded areas.
Do as the other suggestions have granted you.........place a piece of white paper under that shrubs leaves and give the bush a shaking. Mites will be about the size of a grain of sand. Brown and black in color!!
The next thing to consider is fungal disease! I battle mites on junipers-yew's-boxwood's. I haven't seen an infestation that bad to defoliate a shrub in quite some time.
The damage that I am accustomed to pretty much stipples the leaves to a faded appearance and not defoliate them.??
Take a leaf or twig sample into a local nursery and talk to the landscape architect and see what they say!!! If they know anything about plants, they can tell you.

garydale
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM
The attachment may help.