PDA

View Full Version : All rain no sun!

lawn king
06-25-2009, 07:15 AM
Its been so dark and damp here in SE massachusetts the last 2 weeks, i can actually see the lack of photosynthesis in my houseplants!

grassman177
06-26-2009, 07:02 PM
that sucks, wow. that mucha rain is never good for turf. it has been really hot here but still getting rain so it is severly humid. seeing fungus start up on most lawns now. got me some heritage ready to go.

nighthawk117
06-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I have never seen as many fungal problems in turf as we have now. When will that big yellow thing come out and stay out :confused:

turf hokie
06-26-2009, 07:52 PM
We had it for a while today. Hot, humid, I could just about see the dollar spot, brown patch and pythium starting.:hammerhead:

Having just red thread everywhere was boring.

Right now we are having flash flood warnings, hail, just over the border in CT they have a tornado warning.

I think we are at 22 out of 26 days with some amount of measurable rain for June.

RigglePLC
06-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Got a customer call and it was a huge red thread problem here.

group501
06-26-2009, 09:20 PM
This spring has been a nightmare to get through the second round due to the constant rain. We have been seeing lots of red thread and some dollar spot.

Turf Hokie, if the N has been used sparingly the patch diseases and blights should not be a problem. We are almost through our 2nd round and have applied about 1.35 # of N. I tell my customers that anyone can dial up the N in the spring for an unnatural green but these are the lawns that are more prone to major disease. I will take the rt and ds any day over patch disease and blights.

lawn king
06-26-2009, 09:24 PM
I did a check back today, big time red thread and powdery mildew, mushrooms to boot. Granted its an original client (1973) with an old age lawn. There's no doubt about it, we are going to have to gear up for some fungus control apps.

moreira85
06-26-2009, 10:18 PM
I have never seen as many fungal problems in turf as we have now. When will that big yellow thing come out and stay out :confused:

i am also in SE Mass and have experienced all the rain. there is def something going in on my turf! something green and slimy on the soil.

Whitey4
06-27-2009, 01:26 AM
All I ask for is a 24 hour window to hit clover, oxalis and wild violets... is 24 hours of no rain too much to ask for? It rains every forkin day, EVERY forkin day... now add in the fact that I also mow... tall, wet, thick fungus infected grass.... I have measured over 8 inches of rain in my yard this month... the national weather service has a hole in their rain guage.

turf hokie
06-27-2009, 09:33 AM
This spring has been a nightmare to get through the second round due to the constant rain. We have been seeing lots of red thread and some dollar spot.

Turf Hokie, if the N has been used sparingly the patch diseases and blights should not be a problem. We are almost through our 2nd round and have applied about 1.35 # of N. I tell my customers that anyone can dial up the N in the spring for an unnatural green but these are the lawns that are more prone to major disease. I will take the rt and ds any day over patch disease and blights.

I am with you on that. We finished up our 2nd app last week and have put down just a touch more N than you, but still under 1.5 lbs. I have had some customers complain that there lawns are not as green as usual, not as green as the guy across the street etc. I am hoping that those lawns come around and bite them in the but over the summer.

Sun is out now and I am going out to treat some fields since I have been trying to get on them for 3 weeks:dizzy:

Madddog6993
06-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I did a check back today, big time red thread and powdery mildew, mushrooms to boot. Granted its an original client (1973) with an old age lawn. There's no doubt about it, we are going to have to gear up for some fungus control apps.

King I feel your pain I have not seen red thread and brown patch like this in years. I am out doing grub controls in the rain/drizzle have to get some production done. It makes for miserable days though.

lawn king
06-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Im spraying the new drive (xlr8 liquid) because its rainsafe so fast. Its very expensive but i dont have much choice right now as it rains every damn day, at any time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lawn king
07-08-2009, 07:59 AM
The rain here continues, lost most of yesterday, today looks to be the same deal. This is as ugly as i have seen it weather wise & ive been out here since 1978!

turf hokie
07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
We had 4 seperate thunder storms yesterday. Today so far so good. Calling for more tonite.

One of the areas we are servicing today had such high winds last nite most people are saying a tornado came thru. Power still out, trees everywhere, roads closed. Another town just on the other side of the Hudson had 8 inches of hail, they actually put plow trucks out at midnite last nite.

Plowing in July + Global warming = :dizzy:

lawn king
07-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Thats wild! Plowing hail in july. Only in america!

phasthound
07-08-2009, 07:54 PM
We had 4 seperate thunder storms yesterday. Today so far so good. Calling for more tonite.

One of the areas we are servicing today had such high winds last nite most people are saying a tornado came thru. Power still out, trees everywhere, roads closed. Another town just on the other side of the Hudson had 8 inches of hail, they actually put plow trucks out at midnite last nite.

Plowing in July + Global warming = :dizzy:

Wow!

I'm just 2 hours south, the storms are not hitting us in that degree.
We've had beautiful weather all week and more is forcasted.
However, I'm starting to see some drought stress already!

Gotta love our sandy soils. :)

lawn king
07-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Given the choice between too much rain & drought, take the rain,its a no brainer, but enough already!