PDA

View Full Version : Moss killer

PaulHautz
06-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Is there anything good on the market for getting rid of moss in lawns and on sidewalks, better still if it is organic.

Paul

93Chevy
06-25-2009, 07:12 AM
There is a product by Bonide called MossMax. You can get it as a hose-end sprayer and spray the moss with a hose.

As for in the lawn, you need more lime to neutralize the soil. You can also spray MossMax in the lawn.

upidstay
06-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Ortho Moss b gone is an iron product. Will simply smother the moss. Will also stain concrete. Terra Cyte is a newer product. Will actually kill the spores, should wipe out the moss completely. Expensive though, around $90 for 5k feet. Niether is considered organic, but are both fairly eco-friendly.

Heidi J.
06-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Ortho Moss b gone is an iron product. Will simply smother the moss. Will also stain concrete. Terra Cyte is a newer product. Will actually kill the spores, should wipe out the moss completely. Expensive though, around $90 for 5k feet. Niether is considered organic, but are both fairly eco-friendly.

We use Terra cyte, the customers love it. You are right, very pricey, but if they want moss gone.. that is the way to go.

PSUTURFGEEK
06-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Quicksilver works excellent on moss, a little pricry but works excellent.

Hissing Cobra
06-25-2009, 11:10 PM
You can pick up a bag of Ferrous Sulfate (also called Iron Sulfate) for around $20.00. Apply it at a rate of 3lb/1,000 sq/ft. If you over apply it, you'll turn the blades of the grass a dark Black color. Use it lightly!

P.S. it is a nasty product to use, so I recommend a respirator when using it. Also, make sure that you blow off any cement, tar, slate, etc....etc...etc.... or it will leave rust stains.

Moss usually grows in damp, shady areas where the sun doesn't penetrate enough to burn it off. Pruning trees is highly recommended and this Ferrous Sulfate should be used as a maintenance product to keep moss at bay. If the moss is already thick enough to rake out, save your money and just rake it out before re-seeding.

Pythium
06-26-2009, 09:27 AM
1 oz Ultra Dawn dish soap in a gallon of hot water. Spray on moss on a sunny dry day. This will work great on the concrete, It will kill grass but if directed at the moss damage should be minimal. We used this method on golf courses with good success,before the introduction of Quicksilver. Quicksilver is NOT labeled for moss control on home lawns. This will dehydrate the moss and cause it die. You may have to do repeat applications however as it won't kill spores.

Also the lime application and iron application combo has worked very well for me.

kbrashears
06-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Sunlight. That's what I always recommend. Ha.

Customer: Why is the grass so thin and ugly under that tree?
Me: Cut it down or landscape the drip line.
Customer: What's the drip line?
Me: Where the grass isn't growing.
Customer: Oh. I want grass.
Me: Cut down the tree.
Customer: I want the tree and grass.
Me. I just ate a burrito.

LushGreenLawn
06-26-2009, 12:07 PM

I buy terra cyte from lesco for $38 and it covers 6500 sq ft
Posted via Mobile Device

Neal Wolbert
06-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Terra Cyte has a "danger" signal word...irreversible eye damage.

Morgana Leslie
06-29-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't know if this helps...but here goes... I had a customer who wanted rid of moss. So before I went and threw pulverized limestone all over the place I did a soil analysis on the yard. Well according to the results they did not need limestone, the ph was fine, they needed to increase the nitrates in the soil. So I put 37-0-0 (Super Kicker Plus) in early March and that is all it took. Since then, they have had more grass and less moss. I strongly suggest you do a soil analysis first!!! Check the ph balance of the yard, it may just need pulverized limestone and you can get that stuff dirt cheap at your local rock and gravel quarry.