PDA

View Full Version : Can you Identify this problem for me please

iskoos
06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Hey,

I live in Florida and I do take care of my lawn(St. Augustine - Floratam) and I am proud of what I do but whatever I do, problems are always after me:( After battling with chinch bug issue last year, I have now another problem whose pictures I am attaching.
I don't know about this problem. Would you please let me know what this is and what the cure is?

Thanks in advance...

iskoos
06-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, I was thinking this would be easy to identify. A few poeple looked at it already but none made any comment.
Hope nothing serious I am dealing with...

IntegrityGuy
06-25-2009, 04:42 PM
i have no clue what diseases are what but could it be possible that you are watering your grass during the day and the water acts like a magnifying glass and is buring the grass?????

iskoos
06-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Oppsss. I do that to be honest. When it is baking hot sometimes grass folds its blades and turns to pale blue color so to bring them back, I sometimes water them in the afternoon sun. It cools off the grass and they open the blades. Would this really be the reason?
My irrigation times are early in the morning though. I don't run the irrigation during the day. This is just watering with a garden hose.
I will be really shocked if this is the reason...
Anyone else could confirm this?

DiyDave
06-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Kinda sorta looks like a leaf rust ( fungus), but I'm not up on diseases of saint Augustine.

SoGro
06-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Looks like gray leaf spot which is a common disease in summer months with St. Augustine grass. It slows down the growth of grass and makes it look bad, but should not kill it. You can probably spray it with something from home depot but I am unfamiliar with what that may be, they have taken alot off the market. I have a book that says Daconil or Thiram.

iskoos
06-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Thank you...

I have searched internet for various diseases that effects St. Augustine grass and I came up with rust and gray leaf spot. The picture that shows rust wasn't looking any similar to what my grass looks and I couldn't find a picture for gray leaf spot but since it says "GRAY" and my spots are kind of brownish, I figured this wasn't it.

I will take these pictures and go to home depot. I hope the guy in the garden section can provide help. The grass doesn't dying as SoGro says but the growth gets effected.

I will report back...

hvphotog
06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
If all fails send your question and photo into Scott's products...

Thank you...

I have searched internet for various diseases that effects St. Augustine grass and I came up with rust and gray leaf spot. The picture that shows rust wasn't looking any similar to what my grass looks and I couldn't find a picture for gray leaf spot but since it says "GRAY" and my spots are kind of brownish, I figured this wasn't it.

I will take these pictures and go to home depot. I hope the guy in the garden section can provide help. The grass doesn't dying as SoGro says but the growth gets effected.

I will report back...

iskoos
06-26-2009, 12:16 PM
If all fails send your question and photo into Scott's products...

Umm... Can you tell me how to do this? Is it on this forum?

DiyDave
06-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Thank you...

I will report back...
Gray leaf spot may only be gray under a microscope, or under certain circumstances, or on certain types of grasses. Name don't mean much, its a fungus among us!

DOUBLEGHAMMER
06-26-2009, 08:22 PM
your problem is gray leaf spot , caused by high humidity, high nitrogen, and sometimes to much water. water early in the morning, give the leaf blade time to dry during the day. Call a applicator to take care off the fungus with a fungicide from the strobin family(azoxystrobin) heritage:dancing:

iskoos
06-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Unbelievable!.. Will this go away with one application? Or will it be similar to chinch bug problem I dealth with last year? I had to spray my yard maybe 4 times and even then I still had to resod some spots...

Stillwater
06-27-2009, 03:32 AM
i have no clue what diseases are what but could it be possible that you are watering your grass during the day and the water acts like a magnifying glass and is buring the grass?????

water droplets do not act like magnifying glasses burning the lawn, your in the turf industry you should know this. or were you just being funny?

iskoos
06-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Okay, after doing some researh, I was recommended that I should use some fertilizer with numbers 21-0-0 and let the grass grow out of it on its own.
A landscpae guy in my neighborhood told me that this is a very common problem in humid Florida weather and if it was him he would use fertilizer (with ammonium sulphide 21-0-0)

Do you guys agree?

Doubleghammer said that this is caused due to high nitrogen and using 21-0-0 is kind of conflicting.

So would you guys comment on that plese?

h400exinfl
06-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Looks more like Cercospora Leaf Spot to me. Here are some links to gray and cercospora: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH082 and http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH047 . Either way, ease up on the watering, and fertilizer (if you are overdoing it on both or either) and it will go away when the weather changes.

DOUBLEGHAMMER
06-27-2009, 10:11 PM
i would be very carefull about , fertilizer , if anything apply fungicide , come back in 10 - 14 days with another application. Then maybe apply another preventitive app in october and then maybe a winterizer. I have never seen nitrogen make gray leaf spot go away , i have seen it make st augustine dissapear . I have seen homeowners apply to much fert and smoke their st aug grass , then call me to fix it . Seriously check into a good prevent fungicide program:)