PDA

View Full Version : need help!

Tim White
06-25-2009, 08:41 PM
My lawn is so full of clover it seems like there isnt any grass anymore, any suggestions

mzgloves20
06-25-2009, 11:48 PM
sounds like you may have a nitrogen deficient yard. has it always been this way?

bigslick7878
06-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Spray it with a herbicide.

Wait until fall.

Dethatch aerate and overseed and you will be good to go.

Smallaxe
06-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Clover is hard to kill. Best time to kill - hard to kill broadleaf weeds is in the fall.
Best time to plant grass is in the fall.

What is the problem with a clover lawn?
People only want grass because that is 'tradition'.

Whitey4
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Ortho clover and oxalis killer. Yes, wanting a lush clover free lawn is a mechanism of soilogical behavior and values, as well as one's subjective opinion of what looks nice and what doesn't.

RigglePLC
06-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Try attitude adjustment. Think about it. Clover makes its own fertilizer by fixing nitrogen from the air. And all those bees visiting the blossoms make honey. So what is the problem?

Think Green
06-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Riggle,
Can't help from laughing..................!!

Tim,
I won't go into my speel about clover. It is a subjectve matter on this site, as whether to, kill the clover or, or to let it grow and re-nitrificate the soil. Down south,,,,,,,,we kill the stuff dead because it isn't intended to grow in warm season turf unless you like the white flower cluster....or looking for the famed 4 leafed flower....?!?!?!!
The clover has taken hold of your lawn for many reasons and one being neglect and unbalanced soi conditions. Whether clover is a desireable turf or not, in a solid fescue lawn, it is considerably an unwanted weed. Cultural changes will help in taking out the clover. Mowing desireable grasses taller throughout the season will help eliminate the weed. Fertilizing regularly will keep the nitrogen levels in check so the desireable turf will thicken or spread. Overseeding your lawn in the case of cool season turf will eliminate bare spots for clover to germinate and grow. Herbicides should be the last resort to control weeds, but sometimes you have to do what needs to be done.............kill em'!
Google..........Clover control for cool season grass's and see what you can purchase to control these weeds in your area.

cudaclan
06-27-2009, 08:15 PM
My lawn is not N deficient. I sow clover purposely for a lawn. Stays green and povides the N that it needs. It survives summer stress in the north better than fescue. Minimal amount off watering is required. Clover gets a bad rap.

phasthound
06-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Tim,
I won't go into my speel about clover. It is a subjectve matter on this site, as whether to, kill the clover or, or to let it grow and re-nitrificate the soil. Down south,,,,,,,,we kill the stuff dead because it isn't intended to grow in warm season turf unless you like the white flower cluster....or looking for the famed 4 leafed flower....?!?!?!!
The clover has taken hold of your lawn for many reasons and one being neglect and unbalanced soi conditions. Whether clover is a desireable turf or not, in a solid fescue lawn, it is considerably an unwanted weed. Cultural changes will help in taking out the clover. Mowing desireable grasses taller throughout the season will help eliminate the weed. Fertilizing regularly will keep the nitrogen levels in check so the desireable turf will thicken or spread. Overseeding your lawn in the case of cool season turf will eliminate bare spots for clover to germinate and grow. Herbicides should be the last resort to control weeds, but sometimes you have to do what needs to be done.............kill em'!

This is a well thought out and balanced post! :clapping::clapping:
I'll just add, if you have to kill it, realize why it was there and take care of the cause. Herbicides are a band aid which only work on the symptom, not the cause.

Whitey4
06-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Ortho clover and oxalis killer. Yes, wanting a lush clover free lawn is a mechanism of soilogical behavior and values, as well as one's subjective opinion of what looks nice and what doesn't.

It would seem the intentional mispelling in my post was... over looked? :)

Think Green
06-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Whitey,
What the hell is Soilogical?
Is that anywhere close to a Nervologist?!!