PDA

View Full Version : Brown spots, help?

davis45
06-25-2009, 10:44 PM
This is my personal yard, always thick and green and I have never had this problem. Pics are bad but the sky is yellow, getting ready to storm. Best I can do for now, any ideas? Always use Scotts, its only in the back yard, gets quite a bit of shade in the mornings up untill noon. Have had plenty of rain this season also.

ProLawns
06-26-2009, 12:13 AM
It's a disease. Probably brown patch. You'll need to do a fungicide app. Heritage works great but it's expensive. Next season do a preventative app.

davis45
06-26-2009, 12:17 AM
It's a disease. Probably brown patch. You'll need to do a fungicide app. Heritage works great but it's expensive. Next season do a preventative app.

Thanks you, sir. I'll give heritage a try..

ProLawns
06-26-2009, 12:33 AM
After you treat it give it a light dose of fertilizer to grow it out.

kirk1701
06-26-2009, 12:45 AM
After you treat it give it a light dose of fertilizer to grow it out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I went through the "brown Patch Hell" last year and after months of reading on here and following everyone's advice the last thing you want to do is give the disease nitrogen?

That will help spread it

davis45
06-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, I went through the "brown Patch Hell" last year and after months of reading on here and following everyone's advice the last thing you want to do is give the disease nitrogen?

That will help spread it

So could that be some of the problem? Using Scotts, the yard gets alot of Nitrogen.

kirk1701
06-26-2009, 01:03 AM
So could that be some of the problem? Using Scotts, the yard gets alot of Nitrogen.

Had a long battle with brown patch last year at this time, not my doing at the time I didn't know and sure didn't think a major LCO would do me wrong but....
End of May they put 30% nitrogen on my lawn and probably brang the disease with them from another yard they services at the same time.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=235151&highlight=kirk1701

You will learn all you need about Brown Patch there. :drinkup:

This year, I followed these guys advice here on Lawn forum, got my Nitrogen in the ground by mid spring then STOPED. We have 90 degree temps right now so my lawn is a bit stressed being the front gets full sun all day but I can't complain. :walking:

ProLawns right about letting it grow out, don't mow. However I'm not so sure about the heritage (not familiar with) if its something to cure OK, but if its a fungicide I was told they work better if put down before the disease to prevent it. As for the fertilizer, defiantly a no no. :nono:

JDUtah
06-26-2009, 01:55 AM
Also, do a double pass aeration....

RigglePLC
06-26-2009, 08:59 AM
I am betting it is red thread disease. Extra nitrogen would be helpful. Do not water at night. http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-104-W.pdf

Pythium
06-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I second brown patch , although seems a little early in the season for it, but had been wet, humid and hot. The "frogeye" pattern is what makes me believe it is brown patch.

Also for preventative control you can try propiconazole. A systemic, triazole fungicide. Works well as a preventative and way cheaper than Heritage, plus it controls dollar spot as well.

I would recommend chlorothalonil but no longer labeled for res. use. Is an awesome contact fungicide.

kirk1701
06-26-2009, 02:10 PM
I would recommend chlorothalonil but no longer labeled for res. use. Is an awesome contact fungicide.

I'll keep this bookmarked Pythium, JUST IN CASE! :drinkup:

I hope there is not a next time for me, was really a night mare.

Thanks

Pythium
06-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Don't use chlorothalonil on your lawn, not labeled for it. It was removed from residential use due to its high toxicity to fish and inverts, severe eye irritation potential and possible cancer causing.

I

ProLawns
06-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Just had a lawn that had brown patch, but not quite as bad as yours. I sprayed Heritage at the curative rate then fertilized with 24-0-10 50% slow release at about half pound of N per thousand. That was two weeks ago and the lawn looks awesome now. Of course they have irrigation and we've had some rain. Disease is almost completely gone and it's greener and healthier. Avoid high N quick release fertilizers, they will only make things worse and if the disease is too severe the turf may not recover.

kirk1701
06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Don't use chlorothalonil on your lawn, not labeled for it. It was removed from residential use due to its high toxicity to fish and inverts, severe eye irritation potential and possible cancer causing.
I
Note taken, scratch that idea :)

Just had a lawn that had brown patch, but not quite as bad as yours. I sprayed Heritage at the curative rate then fertilized with 24-0-10 50% slow release at about half pound of N per thousand. That was two weeks ago and the lawn looks awesome now. Of course they have irrigation and we've had some rain. Disease is almost completely gone and it's greener and healthier. Avoid high N quick release fertilizers, they will only make things worse and if the disease is too severe the turf may not recover.

I see your point PL, Avoid high N quick release fertilizers

I remember this if there's a next time, think I'm past the threat this year :walking:

Heritage at the curative rate then fertilized with 24-0-10 50% slow release at about half pound of N per thousand.

Just prey there is no next time, as per my thread on previous page, that was a nightmare. :dizzy:
Litterally ended up just redoing the lawn last fall, but used MY OWN SEED! :drinkup:
Not ChemLawn crap