PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple weed is some tough stuff!

Terraformer
06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
I won't go into all the details, but I'm not getting good kill on pineapple weed. I've made 2 applications and I've only thinned it out some. I have not used 2,4-d, because I want to over-seed the affected areas. The limited web resources I found suggested triclopyr and dicamba, but they have not done an acceptable job. There just isn't much published about controlling this weed. However, this is quite a out there if you want to eat or drink it:laugh: My next attempt will include Mecoprop.

If someone has knowledge about how to get good kill results, without killing the KYB mixed in, I would like to hear about it. I'll aerate after I get it under control.

foreplease
06-26-2009, 12:15 AM
This one seems right up greendoctor's alley :) I bet you'll have an answer not long after sunrise in Hawaii.

Terraformer
06-26-2009, 02:01 AM
This one seems right up greendoctor's alley :) I bet you'll have an answer not long after sunrise in Hawaii.

I know they have pineapples in Hawaii, but I'm not sure they've got the pineapple weed I'm talking about.

greendoctor
06-26-2009, 03:24 AM
I know what you are talking about. This is not worth millions to the economy here except in costs to control it and all the other weeds from hell I get 12 months out of the year. 2,4-D by itself, especially amine will not do much to this one, neither will dicamba by itself. I have yet to come across any weed that does not get dropped by 1 lb ester, 8 oz Banvel and 1 oz Quicksilver. If you do not want to roll your own, this weed is a reason to break out the Speedzone. Do it on a day when there is a 5-10 MPH breeze blowing away from sensitive crops or trees. I spray this through Air Induction fan tips at 20-40 gallons per acre at 40 PSI. A chemlawn gun wastes whatever you are applying because the leaves of pineapple weed are hard to cover. On that note, it totally helps to add 16 oz nonionic surfactant to the mix. I do not trust amine based herbicides to penetrate into the lacy and waxy stems and leaves. So my preference is for ester with additional surfactant.

greendoctor
06-26-2009, 03:25 AM
One more thing, it is ok to reseed 14 days after Speedzone.

Terraformer
06-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Greendoctor - thanks for the suggestion. While I'm aware that Hawaii struggles with many invasive plants and animals, for some reason I didn't think you would have pineapple weed too! Dealing with so many invasive plants 365 day a year must be a bit#*. On the flipside... there must be one hell of a demand for your services:clapping:

Normally 2,4-d is a base AI that I like to use. It's effective and cheap! Experience has taught me that I get higher germination rates and stronger turf, quicker, if I can keep 2,4-d off the soil for a few months prior to seeding.

Anyways, I was coming around to the fact that to rid myself of this weed I was going to need good old 2,4-d as one of the AI's. Ditto on the need for a good surfactant on this particular weed. There's not a lot of surface area and the stems are very waxy.

Don't have Speedzone, so I'll probably role my own.

Thanks again!