PDA

View Full Version : Would you do anything?

ron mexico75
06-26-2009, 01:54 PM
2 weeks ago I planted 6 flats of petunias for somebody. They were all around the front edges of beds around the foundation and out in the middle of the yard. They were 4" ones. I watered them in real good before I left. I am told today that about 95% of them are brown. They have irrigation but I don't think it waters the beds as much as the lawn.

I asked if they turned yellow and then died thinking maybe they were over watered but he said no, they are just brown. Now I have petunias at my house, granted they are in containers, and they are monsters. It sounds to me that they were just neglected and not watered. Then, when the homeowner saw them turning brown they wanted to water but it's too late. I feel bad for the customer because I told them the petunias would spread out and get big and be colorful for the whole summer. I told them I was very sorry and I felt really bad because I feel that reflects poorly on me.

He didn't seem mad or ask for replacements or anything. I said I'd come look at them but he was like, don't make a special trip over here. He said I was just wondering if they turned brown and then came back. I said seems like they died due to lack of water.

I'm thinking after I watered them in they never went back out to water and waited for a while and assumed the irrigation was covering them. I just don't want to be looked at like I did a half ass job and ripped them off for something that died 2 weeks later. What do you all think?

ron mexico75
06-26-2009, 03:27 PM
What, is everyone in mourning over Jacko's death? :cry:

noriega
06-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah it sounds like they didn't water them, maybe they thought the irrigation was going to water. Did you check the irrigation before you planted to see if it was working?

I would go back and check the irrigation if there is a problem give them a quote to repair it. I would also replace the petunias for them at no charge taking care of your customers will go a long way. you will make them feel secure and they will always trust your work.

vincent1
07-03-2009, 01:08 AM
I wouldn't replace them. I understand you feeling bad about them dying, anyone would. But you can't be held responsible and I'm sure they know that

ron mexico75
07-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Yeah, he said it was their fault and wasn't asking for replacement. I even said I'd do the next cut at no charge and he wouldn't accept that. He said he was paying me because I didn't do anything wrong. Maybe I'm too nice of a person I don't know. Thanks for the replies.

ElephantNest
07-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I'd offer to replant them for free (labor-wise) if he paid for new flowers. Then go over the watering system with him and get on the same page.

Two Seasons
07-03-2009, 09:52 PM
I'd put the irrigation system in manual mode and check for overlap too. Then you know for sure.

Gold Star Lawns
07-03-2009, 10:34 PM
some sort of all-purpose fert wouldn't hurt to throw down as well....