PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Chevy 2500HD Rusting need help

rogerclark
06-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Make a long story short. Bought a new 2007 2500hd Chevy in Nov 07'. Noticed small rust spots all over truck the next spring( Mayish 08). Local dealer called in rail dust ( Brake pad debris from the transport of vehicle on railroad.)Took a clay bar to vehicle to remove spots, only to have show up fall of 08. Small scenario April of this year,clay bar used again only to show up 3 weeks later. The entire vehicle has these spots, although dealer says rail dust usually only occurs on the bottom half of vehicle. Now dealer says it atmosphere is causing this problem and refuse to do anything. Never heard of anything falling out of the sky that causes an 18 month old truck to rust?? Anyone else have this problem, I wanna sue someone, but do not know proper course of action...............

doug1980
06-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I have a 2007 GMC 2500HD with no rust at all. If I did I would be pretty pi$$ed though.

Petr51488
06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
I had the same problem with my truck. It was sitting on the lot for about 7 months. I never looked under the truck until about a week or two after i bought it and noticed the same thing. I brought it in, and they painted the whole underneath for me free of charge.

rogerclark
06-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I dont have the prob on the bottom of the trucks. Mine is all over the body. White trucks are suppose to be worse, mine even has it on the roof. I'm so mad I am thinkin' bout trading the truck off just to be rid of it...........

tbi
06-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Rotor rust could be the cause. I know GM put a set of ceramic pads on a friend of mines truck to cure the problem a few weeks ago. So far so good.

ZTR_Diesel
06-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Get a hold of GM cutomer service at the corporate level. Be sure to let them know about your local dealer's lack of response. If they won't help you tell them you'll start a lemon law filing. There is no excuse for this - get after them.

mike lane lawn care
06-26-2009, 10:48 PM
GM's come with a 7 or 10 year warranty against corrosion, I would talk to another dealer or call GM. if that don't work threaten a lawyer

coolluv
06-27-2009, 08:52 AM
http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html
http://www.keepitklean.com/professionalclaybar.htm

Dave...

TXNSLighting
06-27-2009, 11:49 AM
GM's come with a 7 or 10 year warranty against corrosion, I would talk to another dealer or call GM. if that don't work threaten a lawyer

Whats threatening a lawyer going to do?! :)

I had alot of issues with my Gm. None like this. But anyway i ended up calling corporate and that got something done. Go there now and you should be taken care of.

corey4671
06-27-2009, 11:55 AM
wonder if this is one of the dealerships that;s being closed down..

DBFlawn
06-27-2009, 01:13 PM
We have had the same issue. We have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. 2006 Ford F550. 2007 Ford F550 and a 2008 Ford F550. All of them being white and everyone of them have it. I'm not sure what color your truck is but with the white it is extremely noticeable. So I went to the dealer and asked some questions and they gave up the whole brake dust thing and recommended the clay pad. We have the one by magoures. (Sorry I don't know how to spell it. I sounded it out lol) But anyway we used it on all of our trucks and they all cam out great and nothing has back come yet. But its only been about 11 months. When it happened to me I thought it was common in all white trucks.

I hope this helps you
DBF

nosparkplugs
06-27-2009, 04:54 PM
If you live in a climate that has snow, and salt your going to have rust, since I have moved to the south it is amazing how good all older trucks look GM, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota etc. I don't miss living in Michigan, and all that salt during the winter.

How many folks actually rinse their undercarriage??? I would say most don't.

ZTR_Diesel
06-28-2009, 12:57 AM
How many folks actually rinse their undercarriage??? I would say most don't.

Here's one that does...and I sort of have to in central IL, or Land of Salt.

Actually had a co-worker in the Chicago area that would repaint his undercarriage each year on his truck. I think he was a little too obsessed, but that's just me.

topsites
06-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Oh hell no I've got cars 14-21 years old don't have that problem,
actually my '95 does but it's due to salt and sand from having spent
most of its winters on the roads in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
And that's mostly undercarriage, some minor rust on the body...

Either way I wouldn't put up with this unless the car was at least 10 or 12 years old and then it had better be minor!
Rail dust my butt, who cares what it is, so long you didn't cause it!

Maybe deal with GM direct, I don't know what else to tell you, do they have an 800 number?
Ask them if they want to close their dealership? :p

zak406
06-28-2009, 03:35 AM
My dad has a 99 silverado and the rockers are completly rusted through to the point were i can break rust away ( this truck was washed extensivly) i know its a ten year old truck but my 85 power ram has zero rust compared to his

rogerclark
06-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Lots of good ideas, I think calling GM corporate will be my first step, although none of my manuals have a phone#, can anyone help with this???? One last note called up the dealership today and told the general manger of my problem and a piece of my mind. Probably didn't do any good but sure made my feel better!!!!!!!

GravelyNut
06-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Lots of good ideas, I think calling GM corporate will be my first step, although none of my manuals have a phone#, can anyone help with this???? One last note called up the dealership today and told the general manger of my problem and a piece of my mind. Probably didn't do any good but sure made my feel better!!!!!!!

How close are you to a power plant that burns oil or natural gas?

MLS MOW
07-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Switch from semi-metallic pads to either ceramic or kevlar pads and you shouldn't have this problem anymore. Our trucks are white and the dealer said it was from the brake pads. Switched 08 F-350SD to kevlar pads and haven't noticed anymore rust on truck. Make sure you take clay bar to truck and remove the metallic particles, and apply a good wax. I recommend McGuires products.

burnthefurniture
07-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Look into the corrosion warranty, sounds like an issue from the factory that your dealer doesn't want to deal with.

DLCS
07-08-2009, 02:12 AM
All Gm vehicles that are transported by rail car have this issue, you only see it on light colored vehicles. My 07 Chevy(silver birch mettalic) has this problem, my 02 Chevy (white) had this problem, my '99 Chevy(gray) had this problem, my wifes 04 tahoe(silver birch mettalic) had this problem, and her new Acadia has some too. Now my 07 Chevy has rust on the door jamb under the bottom seal and bubbles around the backside of the bottom of the tailgate. The rail rust doesn't bother me, its in the clearcoat, never had rail rust go any further than that but the other rust is a problem. This truck is used extensively in the winter for salting and plowing but its washed after every event. The rail rust is caused by hot sparks off the rail car wheels, burning into the clearcoat and then rusting, snow plows will have the same effect too. I've never heard of the brake pads causing this though.