PDA

View Full Version : found new bagworms today

americanlawn
06-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Size of bag: 1/4 inch
Host plant: low-growing junipers about two feet tall that were heavily damaged last year from bagworms

We plan to wait a week or so before bagworm spraying cuz they don't all hatch on the same day.

Choice product for 100% kill: Talstar.

Anybody else seeing them yet in the upper Midwest?

(also found fall webworms yesterday on Mulberry trees)

rscvp, thanks :usflag:

phasthound
06-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Size of bag: 1/4 inch
Host plant: low-growing junipers about two feet tall that were heavily damaged last year from bagworms

We plan to wait a week or so before bagworm spraying cuz they don't all hatch on the same day.

Choice product for 100% kill: Talstar.

Anybody else seeing them yet in the upper Midwest?

(also found fall webworms yesterday on Mulberry trees)

rscvp, thanks :usflag:

Larry,
Bt works well on bagworms at this stage.

grassman177
06-26-2009, 11:26 PM
i have seen none, but i am sure i can find them if i look deeper. i plan on spraying shrubs and small trees on monday. i am later than i wanted, but so far not much damage on plants this year, but i think it is coming from both worlds(insects and fungus), i also use a surfactant, do you guys? my mix is insectandfungus fro both summer apps and and additional insect late summer. surfactant with it always . so, do you?

kirk1701
06-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Have them in my spruce this year, heavily damaged before we noticed.

Pics in my tomato thread, probably on the second page now in this forum.

americanlawn
06-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks Barry -- I didn't know bt kills 'em. My situation is that I like to spray just one time & offer a 100% kill for customers. This is why I will wait a week or so to begin spraying, cuz they don't all appear at the same time. I prefer to wait until the smaller bags are about 1/2 inch & larger one's are nearly an inch long. It seems this way, all have hatched out, and I can attain the 100% kill.

Thanks grassman -- I never use a surfactant. I use Crosscheck (LESCO) which is the same as Talstar.

kirk -- Thanks, I'll check it out.

I sent an email to the head entomologist at ISU Friday to get his opinion as to how long to wait before spraying. I told him my concern was that more will continue to hatch in the upcoming days.

Keep in mind that I've personally been spraying bagworms (Texas) since 1979, and the boys at ISU have not had these decades of experience cuz bagworms have been working their way further north in recent years. Yet, I like to get their input too.

Morgana Leslie
06-29-2009, 08:21 PM
I HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!

What is the best thing to use to prevent them? I have been using Seven (liquid) and spraying plants that they love to eat, will that work?

GREEN-UP
06-29-2009, 08:41 PM
found the same today. getting ready to do my next spray round this week. Some spots came back, others gone. I use Bifen, other than the 1 complex seem to have gotten ride of em.

americanlawn
06-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Morgana -- I used Orhtene back in the 70's/80's (ChemScape), but Talstar (Crosscheck from LESCO) works even better. No surfactant needed.

GREEN-UP ... Good deal. Here, it's about a 3-week window for best results (100% kill).

IMO high pressure (w/J-D9 or tree rifle) at a minimum of 400 psi is the key. Especially on evergreens, cuz evergreens require more spray than deciduous plants for thorough coverage.

Spraying too soon = not all will die. Spraying too late = not all will die.

Morgana Leslie
06-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Is Talstar or ChemScape harmful to dogs and cats?

mdlwn1
06-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Is Talstar or ChemScape harmful to dogs and cats?

ahh.....only if you like them alive.

mdlwn1
06-30-2009, 06:14 PM
On another note...are these new properties?....I mean..in 20 years of landscape service, I have never seen a property that I maintain need to be sprayed for bagworm. Just pick them off when theres only a few. It takes years for them to get to be a burden.

americanlawn
06-30-2009, 09:21 PM
This could be because you are on the northeastern fringe of their natural territory. I have seen a handful of bagworms multiply in such numbers to totally kill plants in three years. Picking them off when possible is always good, but most often -- you won't find them all.

Bagworms (Thyridopteryx ephemeraeformis) range from MA to FL, west to TX & NE. Heaviest infestations = Texas up through central states.

Today I checked the property where I first found them last week. Instead of 1/4 inch, now they measured 3/8 inch. I also checked another "hot spot" today -- bag size = just 1/4 inch. So we will wait until next week before spraying. Got dozens of properties to spray.

On another note...are these new properties?....I mean..in 20 years of landscape service, I have never seen a property that I maintain need to be sprayed for bagworm. Just pick them off when theres only a few. It takes years for them to get to be a burden.

Morgana Leslie
07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
This could be because you are on the northeastern fringe of their natural territory. I have seen a handful of bagworms multiply in such numbers to totally kill plants in three years. Picking them off when possible is always good, but most often -- you won't find them all.

Bagworms (Thyridopteryx ephemeraeformis) range from MA to FL, west to TX & NE. Heaviest infestations = Texas up through central states.

Today I checked the property where I first found them last week. Instead of 1/4 inch, now they measured 3/8 inch. I also checked another "hot spot" today -- bag size = just 1/4 inch. So we will wait until next week before spraying. Got dozens of properties to spray.

That is what I do....pick them off.....then I soak them in two cycle engine fuel and burn them! I make sure they are burned......as in gone! You can also use lighter fluid if the later is too explosive. I am cool with it. I just want the little suckers dead. Just be sure to burn them in a safe place that wont cause a major fire!

turf hokie
07-01-2009, 08:25 PM

I think MDLawn has just been lucky, I am a bit north of him and we get them..... We see them alot on Arborvitae and juniper. New customer this year had a tricolor beech that was completed defoliated last year, hand pulled what we could but the tree is 30 feet. They are not cheap to replace. They fired the guy they hired and went with us because the guy didnt see the bagworms:hammerhead:

americanlawn
07-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Way to go turf hokie. I was treating a new lawn yesterday (commercial property). They paid big bucks to yank out several junipers last year cuz they were basically DEAD (bagworm damage), but they still have some upright junipers remaining. I saw new 1/4 inch bagworms on them yesterday, so I called the owner. He said "spray the basturds". :laugh:

I'm still waiting a week or so to spray with Crosscheck (Talstar), so I can be sure that all bagworms have hatched out and are actively feeding.

I still have not heard back from Iowa State University regarding their feedback/recommendations. Doesn't surprise me, cuz most of those guys do not have the three plus decades of hands-on experience like I do. :confused: Don't mean to brag, but so often, ISU is WAY 'behind the eight ball'. (our tax dollars at work) :cry:

Another example of "government at work" = the City of Ankeny, Iowa. After nearly ten years of loosing evergreen trees & shrubs, they finally figured out in 2008 that they had a bagworm problem. :laugh: So this year, they plan to spray in early July for bagworms. (for the first time ever). Jeeze - now I'm wondering if they will do this right. :dizzy:

Kindarring
07-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Found in southern Maryland a few days ago. Use BT its the best way to go at this stage. In a month tho you better get out Talstar.

grassman177
07-02-2009, 08:15 PM
i have found none yet, but i just sprayed so i dont think i will find any!!!! talstar it is!!!!

americanlawn
07-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Bagworms are a good inch long here (still early enough to get 100% kill with Talstar). Sprayed 2 small arborvitaes today while doing a lawn estimate. Nobody was home, so I left a note & a fact sheet to let him knmow I sprayed at no charge/no obligation.

In another 2-4 weeks, they will begin to pupate when 100% kill may not be possible.

kmiller23
07-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Started noticing them last week. Sprayed some commercial properties landscapes today. Plants had really gotten bad over the last week. About as thick as I've ever seen them. Used bifenthrin.