PDA

View Full Version : Need Toro Help Please

Croat
06-26-2009, 10:15 PM
About 4 moths ago I purchased a new 4220 Timecutter Z with a 21 kohler. Since the very first cut, I have had problems with clumping. I've tried to eliminate every possible cause but now I'm just plain frustrated. The grass is not too wet (this is what the dealer told me the problem was) as I have cut bone dry turf with no rain for several days. It's not too low (highest setting possible). Grass is not too high ( I can cut the very next day after mowing and will get the same results).
It almost looks like the grass is getting hung up in the deck and not being discharged. I will get the clumps midway through a row but mostly when I slow to turn. I'm cutting mainly fescue in the St. Louis area.
Cant figure it out...love the machine but cant take having to double cut AND go behind with a blower every time I cut to get rid of the grass piles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Toro Company
06-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Croat -
Thanks for your question. You did a good job to eliminate a few variables which helps. Are you mowing at full engine rpm (throttle all the way up)? This is crucial. The decks are designed to perform at full rpm. Lower rpms can cause problems such as the one you mentioned above. (As a side note, the decks and belt drive system are designed to be engaged at full engine rpm as well and it is harder on the system to engage at lower engine rpms.) Some other tips that might help:

- Only cut about 1/3 of the grass blade at a time.

- If the grass is higher than normal or contains a high degree of moisture, raise the cutting height higher than usual and cut the grass at this setting. Then cut the grass again using your normal lower setting.

- If the machine's forward motion must be stopped while mowing, a clump of grass clippings may drop onto your lawn. To avoid this, move onto a previously cut area with the blades engaged.

- Using the washout ports located on the top of the deck after each use can help make sure the underside of the deck is kept clean. This will help to reduce the chances of clumping.

The Toro Company