PDA

View Full Version : scag, bobcat or hustler?

byrdman
04-11-2002, 05:57 AM
I mow about 6 acres of my lawn and am interested in a zero turn mower. I have looked at Hustlers and Bobcats and really liked them both. I have also looked at Scags and Gravelys but the dealers are a little farther away than I like if I ever have any problems. So, I narrowed it down to Hustler and Bobcat. Any suggestions on which is the better mower? They both cost fairly the same and I am looking for a mower that will last me for many years.

David Haggerty
04-11-2002, 06:53 AM
Those are both commercial grade machines with features of no use to you. For example, the Hustler has a super heavy duty frame. Unless you're crashing around on rough ground 40-50 hours per week, it's something you'd never use.

Something you never mentioned was which engine you would buy. That's where you would have the most difficulty.

That's why I'd recommend to you the Kubota ZTR. It has a diesel engine, which are virtually trouble free. Sure it's just a little lighter built, but hey, it's Kubota. 20 year plus lifespan.

Don't worry about being close to a dealer, because it's not going back there. It's not like the old lawn mowers that had to be nursed along by the dealer to keep them running. If you don't sharpen your own blades or change oil, get someone local to do it.
That's all you're ever going to need.

Dave

Artman
04-11-2002, 09:49 AM
You did not mention which Hustler you were looking at. The new Hustler FasTrak sounds like just the ticket. You can get a 20 hp Honda with a 52" side-discharge/mulching deck for $5499. 00 MSRP.

byrdman
04-11-2002, 04:09 PM
The ground lawn I own is very hilly. I really am not interested in a deisel engine.I have heard really good things about the Kawasaki engines. Is there any bad things or experiences that keep you from liking the Hustler or Bobcat?

byrdman
04-11-2002, 04:11 PM
I am looking at the Hustler Super Z with the 72" deck.

Artman
04-11-2002, 06:07 PM
If price is not an issue or if mowing time is a factor, then you can't beat the Super Z/72. It will definitely get the job done the fastest. It is, though, the most expensive of the Hustler Zs.

mowerconsultant
04-11-2002, 08:18 PM
Where in Ohio are you ???
Those are all the dealers I work with every day.
I am the Hustler factory rep in that area
Which dealer are you dealing with ???
Let me know please

Thanks
Pj

ohiolawnguy
04-11-2002, 09:01 PM
of the 3 you mentioned, i woud pickeither the scag,or the bobcat. we run bobcats exclusively, but the scag is also a decent machine as well.

yes the kawasaki engines run well, and rarely have downtime.

which bobcat mower are you looking at purchasing the 52" deck, or the 61" deck?

if you get the 52", i would suggest no less than the 17 hp kawasaki, 19 hp would be better though.

and for the 61", the 23hp kawasaki is on both of ours.

P&J Lawncare
04-11-2002, 11:13 PM
I have three turf tigers for sale right now and the reason they are for sale is the hustler super z. The super z is definately the best mower I have ever been on. Get a hold of mower consultant and arrange for a demo, you wont be sorry.

byrdman
04-12-2002, 04:01 AM
i am located in bellefontaine, ohio. the dealer i am talking to is grand rental station.

mowerconsultant
04-12-2002, 07:05 AM
Excellent,
They will take care of you.
If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me @ hustler@twcny.rr.com
The Super Z will assure you get done fast and have an awesome cut !!!
This unit will last a lifetime for you also, its hillside performance is second to none also.

Later
Pj

TFL
04-26-2002, 01:08 AM
SCAG:)

awm
05-06-2002, 10:44 PM
just my opinion but i think the super z w 72 deck is a bit of overkill for your job. unless u want me to keep it all wk and maintain it for u ,for free ,no less.
now how u gonna get a better deal than that.:) in truth a 52 or 60 will cut your mowing time so much u wont believe
it.
in other words u might have to find something else to do on saturdays,as the mowin will only take a jiffy.