PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Chloride for blossum end rot (Maters)

cgaengineer
06-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I need this for my own tomato plants...any suggestions as to where I might find calcium chloride for treating blossom end rot? I am also open to other suggestion for products that may treat this.

heritage
06-27-2009, 07:32 PM
I need this for my own tomato plants...any suggestions as to where I might find calcium chloride for treating blossom end rot? I am also open to other suggestion for products that may treat this.

Use Gypsum.

Also know BER can happen even if their is enough Available Calcium in the soil.......WATER is needed for it't Transport....Are the plants getting enough water during fruit growth?

Also I use Calcium Nitrate on my Tomatoes, foliar spray.......1 tsp per 3 gal....Spray to wet as fruits develop.

Same goes for Apples.

Pete

cgaengineer
06-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks Pete. Since you mention watering I have read 1.5" per week during production of fruit. I will pickup some gypsum tomorrow and apply in the evening and water in good. I thank you for the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

heritage
06-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks Pete. Since you mention watering I have read 1.5" per week during production of fruit. I will pickup some gypsum tomorrow and apply in the evening and water in good. I thank you for the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are Welcome.

Tomatoes love Potassium Nitrate Foliar Sprays also.

Tsp per gallon in evening every 2 weeks or so.

Enjoy.

Pete

greendoctor
06-28-2009, 03:07 AM
Calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate foliars are a few of the tricks of the trade used by commercial growers. I have been next in line after a produce grower at the CPS/UAP here only to find out he has bought every single bag of calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate. Both of those products are components of my liquid fertilizer program. If you want calcium chloride, that is what is in "Damp Rid" dehumidifying crystals.

Grandview
06-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Keeping the soil moist helps. Do not let soil get to dry. Water regularly and mulch.

cgaengineer
06-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate foliars are a few of the tricks of the trade used by commercial growers. I have been next in line after a produce grower at the CPS/UAP here only to find out he has bought every single bag of calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate. Both of those products are components of my liquid fertilizer program. If you want calcium chloride, that is what is in "Damp Rid" dehumidifying crystals.

Hey greendoctor. If I were to purchase some damp rid what would my application rate be? Would I spread it dry or would I pre-mix and do a foliar app?

cgaengineer
06-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Keeping the soil moist helps. Do not let soil get to dry. Water regularly and mulch.

I'm working on this as well. I have my sprinkler running now and a tuna can rain gauge in my garden.

greendoctor
06-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey greendoctor. If I were to purchase some damp rid what would my application rate be? Would I spread it dry or would I pre-mix and do a foliar app?

You want 1 tablespoon per gallon applied as a foliar spray in the evening. It will need to be sprayed at 7 day intervals until the plant tissues have taken up enough calcium, usually 2-3 times.

cgaengineer
06-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Got it...gonna check home depots pool section while I am there...if no lucj the damp rid at the grocery store. I appreciate you help.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
06-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I got some CC at ace hardware...its 75-80%. Funny, when its for something else its cheap...but the same thing for tomatoes was 1
$10 for a tiny spray bottle.
Posted via Mobile Device

44DCNF
06-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Lime your potting soil or the bottom of the planting hole next year and you probably wont see blossom end rot.

cgaengineer
06-28-2009, 07:32 PM
I sprayed almost 1/2 gallon on my Better Boys this evening and will do another app next Sunday evening. Will keep you posted. I also picked up some Tomato food 7-22-8. I could not find a generic bagged product that contained low N but high Phosphate.