PDA

View Full Version : Chaser or Chaser 2 ??

americanlawn
06-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Anybody compared these two Loveland products?

Chaser = ester. Chaser 2 = amine. Both contain 'roughly' the same amount of 2.4-D and Triclopyr.

Additives recommended (by Loveland) with each of these products = LI700 (for high pH water), or Liberate if water pH is not a problem.

We've had excellent results with Chaser (ester) using no additives whatsoever, but we have to really watch sensitive plants in early & late spring. Loveland recommends the 'ester' for spring & fall. :confused: What I can't figure out is why they recommend an ester in the spring when plants are most tender & most sensitive to volatility (fumes).

I am also hesitant using 'amine' herbicides nomatter what time of year it is for 'hard-to-kill' weeds like ground ivy & small-leafed summer annual weeds. Our experience shows that amines in general typically "do not kill hard-to-kill weeds". We can "fry" creeping Charlie when temps are high by using Chaser (ester). Amines don't even come close. Hence this post.

rscvp, thanks

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
06-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Used both-Chaser ester wins hands down for ground ivy & wild violet. (with either LI700 or Liberate) Chaser amine is fine too & is a little less expensive. Both are excellent products:usflag:

americanlawn
06-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks bud -- That's what I suspected. We've been sold on Chaser since the early 1990's. (if it ain't broke, why fix it)
It has never let us down. On hot days (June, July, August), we have often seen 100% kill on creeping Charlie in a single spray with Chaser (ester). Use it with a liquid fertilizer, and CC dies very quickly -- seems liquid fert is even better than LI700. Next round would often just be "spot spray" to touch up the edges around flower beds.

IMO Chaser is also awesome with Z-Sprays & T3000 ride-ons units. Never clogs up nozzles either. Just got to be careful. No spreader/sticker needed. Thanks, Larry :waving:

Used both-Chaser ester wins hands down for ground ivy & wild violet. (with either LI700 or Liberate) Chaser amine is fine too & is a little less expensive. Both are excellent products:usflag:

RigglePLC
06-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I used Eliminate amine 3 weeks ago on a test lawn. Permagreen Ultra--no surfactant. It worked very well on creeping Charlie, also dandelions, black medic, oxalis, chickweed, and it was partially successful on violets. No spurge present, too early.
Spurge is hard to kill--regardless. I used to like esters, because they smelled so bad--they had to be strong. Not so, and my customers didn't like the odor.

FdLLawnMan
06-28-2009, 10:20 PM
I use Momentum Fx2 in the spring & summer with excellent results, even on Ground Ivy. It is an amine product that I always use a sticker with. I will not use an ester product in the spring and summer. Have browned or harmed several plants just from the fumes. Honestly, once my Speedzone is used up it will be strictly amines for me.

Laner
06-30-2009, 12:40 AM
I had excellent results with Speedzone last year, however didn't see the need to blanket with herb that expensive this year....using amine this year. Very good results, with the hose, the PG seems a bit spotty in large weed patch areas. Only getting about 70% kill in those areas, but feel that may be due to the large droplet and speed of the PG.

CHARLES CUE
06-30-2009, 08:27 PM
American move up with the times we use ammie all the time like triplet / macammie d with a wetting agent and kill chreeping charlie and others with no problem why worry about using easters.
Charles Cue

causalitist
07-24-2009, 02:41 AM
i used alot of chaser amine this spring with li700.. REALLY HARSH! i was scared it was the triclopyr, so its good to hear its the li700

i will use the ester for now on, simply because i can actually see my spray pattern.. when i spray the amine im spraying some invisible width .. not good. (i spray 0.17 gal/M)

Americanlawn - does mixing with fert cause any increase in harshness on the turf? (like 0.1lb/M) ....wouldnt think so, but i suppose it would make the turf absorb more as well, so i wanted to ask. ... kinda scared of this stuff after doing a crapload of houses with li700!!!

RigglePLC
07-24-2009, 09:18 AM
From my experience, fert does not cause any problem when mixed with triclopyr or other weed products. Of course fert applied in excess anytime causes fert burn. Fert does not act as a surfactant in my opinion. I add surfactant and use amine. Prefer silicone surfactants.

tremor
07-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I sell Coolpower all summer with the usual advisory statements. Much better control than any amine.