PDA

View Full Version : top dressing pic and misc equipment

fl-landscapes
06-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Was out this weekend using my new top dresser to top dress some st augustine grass. Machine worked very well! The second pic is just some misc. pics of some specialty equip. A Billy Goat Aerator -Earth and turf top dresser - Lesco push spreader with Vortex granular spreader after market attachment my spyker spreader and my lawn solutions 30" 13hp revitilizer.

IRRITECH
06-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Very cool. What part of FL

fl-landscapes
06-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Very cool. What part of FL

SW Charlotte County. The lot next door to the first pic is un developed but the top dressing is being done on a nice commercial property. The second pic was taken on the same site inside the facility

phasthound
06-28-2009, 07:35 PM
That top dresser will do a great job & make you money. $

fl-landscapes
06-28-2009, 08:07 PM
That top dresser will do a great job & make you money. $

It is certainly an efficient machine I am totally impressed with it so far. I did have a scary almost tipping incident on a bank rounding a tree. It didn't go but it wanted too. Thank you phast for the encouraging words.

phasthound
06-28-2009, 10:28 PM
It is certainly an efficient machine I am totally impressed with it so far. I did have a scary almost tipping incident on a bank rounding a tree. It didn't go but it wanted too. Thank you phast for the encouraging words.

When it wants to tip, just let go of the control bar.

Pistol
06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
What a great line-up of equipment - a big amount out of my budget. Can you throw out a ballpark value of all the equipment? Thx

fl-landscapes
06-30-2009, 08:17 AM
What a great line-up of equipment - a big amount out of my budget. Can you throw out a ballpark value of all the equipment? Thx

The equipment in the picture cost in the ball park of $17K new

starry night
06-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Love that topdresser! It will be my next purchase uhhh.....I don't mean yours uhhh...you know what I mean.

capelawncare.com
06-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Mind if i ask what you using an aerator in Charlotte Co for?

fl-landscapes
06-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Mind if i ask what you using an aerator in Charlotte Co for?

Why would I mind. It helps get the top dressing down into the root zone instead of waiting for it to get there naturally or just get washed away. And contrary to popular belief sandy soils can become compacted so we use it to alleviate compaction. Just like the hundreds of golf courses in fl do all the time. Mind if I ask why your website say "lawn plant and tree fertilization" Aren't lawns and trees plants? You must have meant lawns, ornamentals and trees

phasthound
06-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Why would I mind. It helps get the top dressing down into the root zone instead of waiting for it to get there naturally or just get washed away. And contrary to popular belief sandy soils can become compacted so we use it to alleviate compaction. Just like the hundreds of golf courses in fl do all the time.

This is by far the best way to manage turf. All soils benefit from this type of treatment. :)

fl-landscapes
06-30-2009, 07:56 PM
This is by far the best way to manage turf. All soils benefit from this type of treatment. :)

Yes they do!

capelawncare.com
06-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Why would I mind. It helps get the top dressing down into the root zone instead of waiting for it to get there naturally or just get washed away. And contrary to popular belief sandy soils can become compacted so we use it to alleviate compaction. Just like the hundreds of golf courses in fl do all the time. Mind if I ask why your website say "lawn plant and tree fertilization" Aren't lawns and trees plants? You must have meant lawns, ornamentals and trees

I just dont see many people down here aerating, or even top dressing St Aug.

Most of my customers think an ornamental is either that thing on the hood of their car, or a christmas decoration.:laugh:

fl-landscapes
07-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I just dont see many people down here aerating, or even top dressing St Aug.

Most of my customers think an ornamental is either that thing on the hood of their car, or a christmas decoration.:laugh:

That was a good come back. And I didn't mean to sound like a pr1ck I just thought you were another guy here on lawnsite picking a stupid fight. A lot of people down here don't do these services BUT that doesn't mean they are not beneficial to our lawns. Especially st augustine. Our sandy soils are a perfect candidate for aeration and top dressing. It makes them more drought tolerant and allows ferts and chems to be held in the root zone longer instead of leaching away before the plant can uptake them. Like I said earlier all the golf courses in fl aerate every year at least once. Remember they are the kings of turf.

capelawncare.com
07-01-2009, 03:11 PM
That was a good come back. And I didn't mean to sound like a pr1ck I just thought you were another guy here on lawnsite picking a stupid fight. A lot of people down here don't do these services BUT that doesn't mean they are not beneficial to our lawns. Especially st augustine. Our sandy soils are a perfect candidate for aeration and top dressing. It makes them more drought tolerant and allows ferts and chems to be held in the root zone longer instead of leaching away before the plant can uptake them. Like I said earlier all the golf courses in fl aerate every year at least once. Remember they are the kings of turf.

I was more wondering if top dressing and aerating, were your solution to the fert ban.

fl-landscapes
07-01-2009, 03:36 PM
I was more wondering if top dressing and aerating, were your solution to the fert ban.

We actually dont have a fert ban in charlotte county. Thats sarasota county. We just need to be certified to fert now and thats a state thing. I am on the sarasota line though and have considered marketing sarasota county for some solution to the fert ban. Unfortunately I don't think compost will replace the loss of fert in the summer months but it would help. We cant even use organic fert in sarasota in the summer months. Aeration and top dressing is more a solution to our sandy calcareous soils

onebreezer
12-11-2009, 02:26 PM
what is the name of that weapon with the blue hose? That topdresser would not work well with a conveyer truck unless you take off the top extension. With that off you can convey load it in 3 seconds.

onebreezer
12-11-2009, 02:31 PM
What part of Florida is that county in? How late and how early in the season can you topdress? Our season goes from mid March to October 1. But busy April 5-July.

fl-landscapes
12-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Charlotte county is on the west coast between ft myers and sarasota. The machine with the blue hose is a "vortex" granular spreader retrofit onto a lesco push spreader. It's for spreading granular fert in landscape beds. Its awesome and a huge time saver. As far as when we can compost....really anytime we can do it as we rarely ever get a frost (usually none to two a year) so the ground never freezes.

onebreezer
12-11-2009, 04:27 PM
so i guess the fortex is a blower attached to the lesco? how much do you pay for your compost there? i pay about $7 a yard for topsoil and ground screened lawn debris that is partially composted.

fl-landscapes
12-11-2009, 04:36 PM
so i guess the fortex is a blower attached to the lesco? how much do you pay for your compost there? i pay about $7 a yard for topsoil and ground screened lawn debris that is partially composted.

I pay about the same for finely screened compost. The vortex is a little more than just a hose, it has some stainless hardware to a control which regulates flow to the hose ($1000 installed......ouch)

onebreezer
12-11-2009, 05:07 PM
so you do fertilizer and weed control? do you do maintanance? i did not know that there was that much market for topdressing in that area. i suppose the compost is great to combat take all and releaves drought and heat stess from the high heat by insulating the root zone. will you be able to stay pretty busy with your new topdresser? we do about 8000 to 10000 sq ft a day

fl-landscapes
12-11-2009, 05:11 PM
so you do fertilizer and weed control? do you do maintanance? i did not know that there was that much market for topdressing in that area. i suppose the compost is great to combat take all and releaves drought and heat stess from the high heat by insulating the root zone. will you be able to stay pretty busy with your new topdresser? we do about 8000 to 10000 sq ft a day

We fert and limited squirt (fl lis are very strict) Top dresser could be busier but it paid for itself. More to combat the sandy soil and build up organics to help it retain moisture as well as nutrients. Our main bus. is Commercial landscape maintenance

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
All you gotta do is look at the tire tracks from these z's to see we need to areate. We also need the organics added with our auqafobic soils the water just sheds in alot of cases. It also helps with good pest to combat the bad. Top notch brother.

What did that dresser cost? What are you getting per sqft for dressing and areating?

fl-landscapes
12-12-2009, 05:50 PM
All you gotta do is look at the tire tracks from these z's to see we need to areate. We also need the organics added with our auqafobic soils the water just sheds in alot of cases. It also helps with good pest to combat the bad. Top notch brother.

What did that dresser cost? What are you getting per sqft for dressing and areating?

Top dresser was about $7200 off the top of my head. Prices per sq ft vary depending on res. comm. and size of area. Yes our sandy soils are hydrphobic.

georgiagrass
12-21-2009, 02:49 AM
I like that top dresser, but not many of our Atlanta customers want that service. Some of the bermuda lawn customers want sand, but it's tough to sell any other amendment.

onebreezer
12-21-2009, 09:14 AM
are you familiar with level lawn and sandman. They operater in your area and stay very busy.

georgiagrass
12-21-2009, 06:03 PM
are you familiar with level lawn and sandman. They operater in your area and stay very busy.

I'm sure they do stay busy, I'm just saying that not many of our customers want top dressing. I wish they did.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-02-2010, 03:47 PM
how is the topdresser holding up?

fl-landscapes
02-03-2010, 08:12 AM
how is the topdresser holding up?

Not bad Dusty. I did 26,000 sq on a commercial property we maintainain prior to the frost. The machines not as busy as I would like but it paid for itself. Just not a lot of money in my particular county. So most people dont sink any extra money into their lawns beyond mow, blow and go. The machine is awesome though.

Landscape Poet
11-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Not bad Dusty. I did 26,000 sq on a commercial property we maintainain prior to the frost. The machines not as busy as I would like but it paid for itself. Just not a lot of money in my particular county. So most people dont sink any extra money into their lawns beyond mow, blow and go. The machine is awesome though.

fl,

I am hoping you are subscribed to this thread and are alerted to this post. Can you give me a update on what your luck has been in the topdressing business. I made a effort to market this last spring - figured I could manually dress most of the lawns if needed at first with a wheel barrow and rake , had a few calls, but it never took off. I do top dress my own lawn and like the results...I know it is very beneficial to our soils but convincing customers to pay for it during a down economy has been challenging.

fl-landscapes
11-16-2010, 09:38 PM
fl,

I am hoping you are subscribed to this thread and are alerted to this post. Can you give me a update on what your luck has been in the topdressing business. I made a effort to market this last spring - figured I could manually dress most of the lawns if needed at first with a wheel barrow and rake , had a few calls, but it never took off. I do top dress my own lawn and like the results...I know it is very beneficial to our soils but convincing customers to pay for it during a down economy has been challenging.

Just stumbled on it in new threads. Ive done enough to justify the purchase, however I havent marketed it enough (my fault) to get it to the point I thought I would be when I purchased it. New yellow page ad coming out here in a week or two and hope it picks up a little. Also crappy economy isnt helping to sell a fairly expensive treatment.

Landscape Poet
11-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Just stumbled on it in new threads. Ive done enough to justify the purchase, however I havent marketed it enough (my fault) to get it to the point I thought I would be when I purchased it. New yellow page ad coming out here in a week or two and hope it picks up a little. Also crappy economy isnt helping to sell a fairly expensive treatment.

I think that is the main issue. I have several clients that would like to have their lawn top dressed ....but with me raking in by hand the cost is not cheap and pocket books remained tight this year. I have did the job educating them, but I have not figured out how to get them to turn lose of the money yet. If I could get it to take off and justify the purchase of a spreader, I figure I could team up with a couple of the spray companies that would appreciate the apps and aid in finding business. Keep us updated on how things go with your new ad. I would like to see you have success because that would mean it CAN be done in FL.

fl-landscapes
11-16-2010, 09:52 PM
I think that is the main issue. I have several clients that would like to have their lawn top dressed ....but with me raking in by hand the cost is not cheap and pocket books remained tight this year. I have did the job educating them, but I have not figured out how to get them to turn lose of the money yet. If I could get it to take off and justify the purchase of a spreader, I figure I could team up with a couple of the spray companies that would appreciate the apps and aid in finding business. Keep us updated on how things go with your new ad. I would like to see you have success because that would mean it CAN be done in FL.

It can be done for sure, Ive profited from it above and beyond purchase price so technically it has been a success. Trust me you cant even imagine how easy and evenly you can topdress a lawn with this machine compared to wheelbarrow and shovel/rake. Networking is a key to this process for sure. Ric sends me his yards that need topdressing. Look up treegal, she is more heavily invested in this type of work and probably a good info source for you.

elan
01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
are you selleng the top dressing machine? if yes i would like to know for how much? I need one.
If yes,
please call me at 954-658-3099

Patriot Services
01-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Hmmm, that's just a couple hours down the road. Could I borrow that topdresser? Just for 5 maybe 6 years?
Posted via Mobile Device

Barefoot James
01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
ya-all did notice FL has a dump truck (so he can move bulk compost) and onebrezzer does this FT and a couple others were referenced in GA and then there is treegal who does this on hundreds of yards. I do it here in KY. Top dressing IS our future folks.

Of course your clients aren't asking you for these services:dizzy::confused: - that's why you have a business - YOU have to sell it - but first you need to learn. Go to the organic side and visit past threads - read and study. Talk to some folks. You really need to basically relearn what you don't know.

Good Luck!

Patriot Services
01-11-2011, 06:33 PM
ya-all did notice FL has a dump truck (so he can move bulk compost) and onebrezzer does this FT and a couple others were referenced in GA and then there is treegal who does this on hundreds of yards. I do it here in KY. Top dressing IS our future folks.

Of course your clients aren't asking you for these services:dizzy::confused: - that's why you have a business - YOU have to sell it - but first you need to learn. Go to the organic side and visit past threads - read and study. Talk to some folks. You really need to basically relearn what you don't know.

Good Luck!

This is the present. This whole state needs a topdressing. Some yards the only OM on top of the sand is what came with the sod. It is essential for great turf. Hard sell though.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
01-11-2011, 08:40 PM
This is the present. This whole state needs a topdressing. Some yards the only OM on top of the sand is what came with the sod. It is essential for great turf. Hard sell though.
Posted via Mobile Device

all very true.

phasthound
01-11-2011, 08:58 PM
I have the Earth & Turf top dresser also, love it and the results. Mine is for sale, it's like new and I increased the hopper to hold more compost.

Landscape Poet
01-12-2011, 09:17 AM
. Some yards the only OM on top of the sand is what came with the sod. It is essential for great turf. Hard sell though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think the best lawn I have came across down here that had not had any topdressing had something like 4.8% O.M - most are in the 1-3% range, I would say we need add some organic matter.

One question - I really struggle to understand why our sandy soils become compacted. Essentially these large particles should just push each other around vs the more clay based soils up north which have finer particles and tend to stick together as they are pressed together.

JDUtah
01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
It depends on the texture of your "large particles". Are they jagged or smooth?

starry night
01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Here is some info: http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ag125e/AG125E15.htm

Patriot Services
01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Great article. Really helps explain why our soil is literally "active" during wet and dry periods on a continual basis.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Here is some info: http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ag125e/AG125E15.htm

Thanks for the article

loupiscopolandscaping
01-14-2011, 07:26 PM
looks serious

loupiscopolandscaping
01-14-2011, 07:59 PM
and probally weighs a ton litterally lol

Barefoot James
01-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey Loup what kind of truck you got? What is that on the back?

sdk1959
01-15-2011, 01:29 AM
I seen these in use. They work excellent. Link below.

http://www.newerspreader.com/models.htm#video