PDA

View Full Version : Box truck for mowing

ryde307
06-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Wondering for those who have or have used a box truck/van for mowing how much you like it?
Any negatives / positives? Some input would be nice.
We have a few trucks and have a 20ft enclosed right now looking to be smaller sell a few trucks and change this around think we are going to a box truck just curious your experiance with them. Thanks

MP350
06-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Pros...easy to get around in,especially in tight neighborhoods. Cons...harder to work out of, every time you have to get a tool you have to walk up a steep ramp. And if the ramp is wet very difficult to load/unload gear. And if the truck breaks down you are done, where with a trailer you switch trucks and keep working.Hope this helps.

landgator
06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I've been using a box truck for a few months. I think it's great. Bringing the ramp up and down kinda sucks but you get used to it. The one negative is the cab. Mines a single cab, it's kinda cramped if your crew is big. Your gear is out of the weather and it's secured.

ryde307
06-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the response. The pros are most of reason why we are going that route. Easy to get around and so on. We have an enclosed right now and wouldnt go back to an open set up. Great for staying dry winter storage ect..
I have back up truck and trailer in case it does break down and never thought to much about the ramp going up and down when wet.
What is your ramp made out of? Ours will be expanded steel like most and doesnt have a ton of grip but better than wood.

ryde307
06-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Do you guys that responded have any pics of your set ups how you run them and so on? And what lengths the boxes are?

MileHigh
06-29-2009, 06:19 PM
All the lame companies around here run them.

They also leave grass on the curb...which is not accepted around here.

LushGreenLawn
06-30-2009, 06:53 AM
How do box trucks leave any more clippings than a trailer? That's what a blower is for, just park across the street.
Posted via Mobile Device

lyube
07-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Box trucks are great. Portable storage sheds plus they are weather proof.

Since when were box trucks in charge of blow duty?

ryde307
07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Well I am going to pick one up on monday and selling our 20ft enclosed. Blade Im sorry the guys by you are hacks but better for you right?
Anyways anyone have pictures of how they set theres up. I imagine it will be very close to our enclosed mowers straight in blowers in one back corner and trimmers in the other.
We have a custom fuel tank in our trailer you fill right from the outside don't think it will be passed into the box van but we will see.

mpaq
07-25-2009, 02:05 PM
I use a boxtruck with a 43 in liftgate. Working just great for us, except we're limited with the size mower we can load, but our mowers do not exceed 36 in so we're ok with that
Posted via Mobile Device

pjonesco
07-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Hopefully your gate on the dovetail will have springs on it for easy lifting. The springs do wear out after a year or so, but when they are in good condition, you can lift the gate with one finger.

I guess you are now one of those lame companies that has an efficient, professional, dedicated mowing set-up.

mpaq
07-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Hopefully your gate on the dovetail will have springs on it for easy lifting. The springs do wear out after a year or so, but when they are in good condition, you can lift the gate with one finger.

I guess you are now one of those lame companies that has an efficient, professional, dedicated mowing set-up.

"Lame"? That's a rhetorical question. How about if I tell you that in my 5 months of operation, I now run 2 boxtrucks with approx 40 accounts ranging from low to high end residentials and 2 commercials. Professionalism pays. Not to mention the number of new accounts I have to turn down because of various reasons. This is not a lame company you're sending this message to.
Posted via Mobile Device

ryde307
07-28-2009, 12:05 AM
mpaq- I think he might be making fun of the post from bladescape on the first page if not well I will disagree with the lame thing.

Either way I used our box truck for mowing last week for the first time in my opinion there isn't much better at this point. I have used enclosed trailers, open trailers, all sorts of combos but the truck is small gets in and out easy doesn't't wear tires out as quick fuel efficient and so on.

I will get a post up of pics and out setup soon.

mpaq
07-28-2009, 07:07 AM
mpaq- I think he might be making fun of the post from bladescape on the first page if not well I will disagree with the lame thing.

Either way I used our box truck for mowing last week for the first time in my opinion there isn't much better at this point. I have used enclosed trailers, open trailers, all sorts of combos but the truck is small gets in and out easy doesn't't wear tires out as quick fuel efficient and so on.

I will get a post up of pics and out setup soon.

Thanks ryde. Appreciate your assistance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bobdidit
08-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I just bought a 14' NPR, really looking forward to getting it setup and clearing the garage and the air in there of my part-time occupation. I have a decent idea, but I, too, would like to see some photos of the set up, so anything is great. :cool2:

howierd3866
08-08-2009, 07:03 AM
come on guys we need pics..lol....I'm been thinking about going to box truck well more of a bread/delivery truck.I belive they sit alittle lower to the ground. How was getting insurance for it easly and costly? thanks