PDA

View Full Version : Mixing glyphosate and sedgehamer?

xtreem3d
06-28-2009, 07:20 PM
afternoon guys,
at my bigger commercial places i will be needing to spray for weeds in the beds, i am hoping to avoid multiple backpack sprayers and am wanting to know if it is possible to mix glyphosate(weeds) and sedgehammer( nutsedge)in the same backpack sprayer? most of the spraying will be for nutsedge so i won't be "wasting" a whole lot on other weeds. i won't have the sedgehammer ( or manage) until tomorrow morning so i can't check compatability today,
thanks as always,
steve

EVM
06-28-2009, 07:55 PM
It is compatible but I am not sure if the sedge hammer is going to do its job. Sedge hammer is supposed to pass into the nutlets and stop the nutsedge from coming back the following year. If you use gly & sedge together; the gly will burn the leaf down before the sedge hammer can pass to the nutlet?

You might be better just using gly but the nutsedge will be back next year.

Anybody?

olive123
06-28-2009, 09:12 PM
i use it that waY and have no problem

ed2hess
06-28-2009, 09:53 PM
I use it that way and it comes back the next year. I started using a product from Depot that goes into the root system so irrigation don't adversely affect it. Forgot the name ..

garydale
07-01-2009, 12:42 PM
IMHO
glyphosate will kill the green nutsedge tissue before the sedgehammer gets into the nutlets. Nutsedge will return. Sedgehammer requires more time.
Treat separately.

turf hokie
07-01-2009, 07:31 PM
IMHO
glyphosate will kill the green nutsedge tissue before the sedgehammer gets into the nutlets. Nutsedge will return. Sedgehammer requires more time.
Treat separately.

Ditto, the glyph will work in 24-48 hours, it takes a good 48 for the sedgehammer to get into the plant. It is one of the few herbicides that I try to follow the dont cut 2 day before or two days after the app.

grassman177
07-02-2009, 07:30 AM
i have a secondary question here, will sedgehammer hurt junipers. i have lots of sedge in groundcover junipers this year and have never tried it in landscape beds, only gly. i think it is time to use sedgehammer though to gain contyrol and not jsut kill. thanks for any feedback and sorry if i am highjacking the thread but it is along the same discussion.

xtreem3d
07-02-2009, 11:38 AM
no your not hijacking...good question, i'd like to know also ..btw..thanks for the previous replies,
steve

EVM
07-02-2009, 08:37 PM
i have a secondary question here, will sedgehammer hurt junipers. i have lots of sedge in groundcover junipers this year and have never tried it in landscape beds, only gly. i think it is time to use sedgehammer though to gain contyrol and not jsut kill. thanks for any feedback and sorry if i am highjacking the thread but it is along the same discussion.

I think the sedge hammer will burn the juniper. I rememeber I burned some plant a couple of years ago, might have been an azalea.

What I do in some situations where the nutsedge is getting out of control. Have an employee grab the plants and pull them out of the way; giving me clear access to spray.

I have a question too; will sedge hammer burn liriope? I have nutsedge growing out of the actual liriope plant. I am tired of pulling the nutsedge every year which is getting on my nerves already .

greendoctor
07-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Sedgehammer will damage most bedding plants and ornamental shrubs/groundcovers. What is labeled for sedge control in liriope is Image. The frequent complaint that Image causes damage to labeled ornamentals originates from failure to observe the label warnings about applying to drought stressed or inadequately fertilized plants. On the original question about Sedgehammer and glyphosate. Unless you are talking about glyphosate with diquat, it does not work in 24-48 hours such that interference with Sedgehammer occurs. I do believe this is a labeled tank mix for use around trees, shrubs and in turf renovation sites. If it did not work, why would it be on the label?

turf hokie
07-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Sedgehammer will damage most bedding plants and ornamental shrubs/groundcovers. What is labeled for sedge control in liriope is Image. The frequent complaint that Image causes damage to labeled ornamentals originates from failure to observe the label warnings about applying to drought stressed or inadequately fertilized plants. On the original question about Sedgehammer and glyphosate. Unless you are talking about glyphosate with diquat, it does not work in 24-48 hours such that interference with Sedgehammer occurs. I do believe this is a labeled tank mix for use around trees, shrubs and in turf renovation sites. If it did not work, why would it be on the label?

Your right green doc. I am used to using the Quik Pro that works faster then just glyphosate. My fault on the mis-step, Thanks.