PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Christmas Tree farm

rusty_keg_3
06-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Ok, heres the deal, i am 17, and just took over me and my older brothers company. Well, kinda i will just run the business.Anywho, we live in Northwest Ohio, and have some average at our moms place. We plow in the winter with two trucks, but in the 08-09 winter, we only plowed like 10 times. Which aint bad, i think we could some plant christmas trees, but need advice.

Ok, we would plant them on a 1000ft(long) by 300ft(wide), portion of land. I figured like 10- 20 ft isles in between trees (width), and space trees out like 8ft long way. We would plant like 100-200 trees each year. I figure like 5 years for them to reach the desired size....

So five years later, lets say you come to buy a tree. We drive you and you family out there, and you pick the tree, and we cut it right there. Haul it up front, and u pay for it. And we could deliver them too, but aint sure how much that would be.

Cost of finished trees, i have a few ideas,
1. Charge by the height... Like $10 per foot (height) so a 5ft tree is $50, maybe $8 per foot, but we would have five years to figure it all out.

2. Flat Rate...... like $50 for any tree. But think that would suck.

Well, input and ideas would be nice, Thanks
Russell

2brothersyardcare
06-29-2009, 06:33 AM
i want 2 buy a farm and do that and put my **** on it

AI Inc
06-29-2009, 06:42 AM
A tree farm will actualy make more $ by property tax saving because of ag tax rate then selling the trees.

rusty_keg_3
06-29-2009, 10:25 AM
A tree farm will actualy make more $ by property tax saving because of ag tax rate then selling the trees.

So how dose that work? Like The area or the number of trees?

rusty_keg_3
07-14-2009, 12:38 AM
bump.......

Triplex
07-14-2009, 07:45 AM
There are a lot of tree farms here in PA. I'd recommend letting people cut their own, while offering to cut it for them if they want; a lot of people like to cut their own tree. One big drawback is, if you get bad weather for a couple of weekends in December everyone will just get a tree at Lowe's and you're screwed. You might be in a better position than most since it looks like you want to do this on the side instead of as your primary job; you could ride out a year like that more easily than someone whose livelihood depends on it. Look around at the competition in your area - are Christmas tree farms just scraping by, or is there a big crowd in December? I don't know whether your location is suburban or rural, but if you had a lot of houses go up in the recent real estate boom, you might have a lot of customers. That's exactly what happened at the farm I used to get my tree at; the area around it got built up rapidly in the early 2000's and the place got way too crowded for a nice family outing (but their Christmas tree business is booming).

Triplex
07-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Charge by height; that's what every place around me does.

rusty_keg_3
07-14-2009, 11:20 AM
There are a lot of tree farms here in PA. I'd recommend letting people cut their own, while offering to cut it for them if they want; a lot of people like to cut their own tree. One big drawback is, if you get bad weather for a couple of weekends in December everyone will just get a tree at Lowe's and you're screwed. You might be in a better position than most since it looks like you want to do this on the side instead of as your primary job; you could ride out a year like that more easily than someone whose livelihood depends on it. Look around at the competition in your area - are Christmas tree farms just scraping by, or is there a big crowd in December? I don't know whether your location is suburban or rural, but if you had a lot of houses go up in the recent real estate boom, you might have a lot of customers. That's exactly what happened at the farm I used to get my tree at; the area around it got built up rapidly in the early 2000's and the place got way too crowded for a nice family outing (but their Christmas tree business is booming).

1-I heard you cant let people cut their own trees for safety reasons...
2-Their are quite a few Christmas tree places, but they bring trees in, and if we grew trees, you would advertise something like "the freshest trees" or something to the effect...
3-we live in a rural area, but it isnt the stix... Toledo is a 20 min drive...

rusty_keg_3
07-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Charge by height; that's what every place around me does.

ok, thanks

Triplex
07-14-2009, 11:39 AM
1-I heard you cant let people cut their own trees for safety reasons...
2-Their are quite a few Christmas tree places, but they bring trees in, and if we grew trees, you would advertise something like "the freshest trees" or something to the effect...
3-we live in a rural area, but it isnt the stix... Toledo is a 20 min drive...

All the tree farms around here let you cut your own; I cut mine every year. If all the other places around you bring trees in, that's good; then you can advertise as a place to cut your own tree (or at least get a fresh one). Your location sounds ideal - close enough to a decent-sized city that you'll have customers. Too far out in the sticks and it would probably have to be wholesale only.

JB1
07-14-2009, 11:49 AM
why don't you read up on this and get your answers. You have a good school and information at your fingertips.http://ohioline.osu.edu/b670/index.html

rusty_keg_3
07-14-2009, 11:58 AM
thanks, ill look over it...

birdman0494
07-14-2009, 01:15 PM
not trying to jack the thread but this is one of the more productive threads on here. Too many kids my age waste time on here, And my 2 cents you could easily sell a few on craigslist

rusty_keg_3
07-14-2009, 01:23 PM
not trying to jack the thread but this is one of the more productive threads on here. Too many kids my age waste time on here, And my 2 cents you could easily sell a few on craigslist

Thanks, but i have my fair share of non productive threads, and thanks i didnt think about craigslist...

golfnpreacher
07-14-2009, 11:52 PM
The "tradition" in our family is to go cut the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. We gone to the same "farm" for the past 12 years.

All I can say is the guy that runs it has all sorts of side deals, but he says it is a whole lot of work for a little bit of money. The biggest is trimming to shape the trees in the summer.

rusty_keg_3
07-15-2009, 12:02 AM
The "tradition" in our family is to go cut the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. We gone to the same "farm" for the past 12 years.

All I can say is the guy that runs it has all sorts of side deals, but he says it is a whole lot of work for a little bit of money. The biggest is trimming to shape the trees in the summer.

Thats a cool tradition! And i didnt even think about trimming the trees... That could kinda suck.

Mike Fronczak
07-17-2009, 08:43 AM
There are all sorts of Christmas Tree Grower Assoc., check there for added imput. Trimming the trees isn't bad, goes very quick. But like anything you need the knowledge behind you, certain types of trees grow better at differnt times trim at the wrong time & you screw yourself (loose that years growth). Really research it.

rusty_keg_3
07-17-2009, 04:59 PM
any ideas on websites, associations and stuff like that?

rusty_keg_3
07-23-2009, 05:42 PM
More input please......

AI Inc
07-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Do you own the land. Some of the best advantages to a xmass tree farm is the agricultural tax rate.

rusty_keg_3
07-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Do you own the land. Some of the best advantages to a xmass tree farm is the agricultural tax rate.

Yes, well sorta, i am 17... So i dont own the land, but my mom dose.... And whats the deal with the taxes? please explanin.....

AI Inc
07-23-2009, 07:04 PM
When land is agricultural the tax rate is a lot lower then for residentaql.

rusty_keg_3
07-23-2009, 07:13 PM
When land is agricultural the tax rate is a lot lower then for residentaql.

Ahh, well now its soybeans.... so it wouldnt change?

Triplex
07-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Here are a few links to get you started. Do your homework before you invest a lot of money and effort into this!

National Christmas Tree Association
http://www.christmastree.org/

Ohio Christmas Tree Association
http://ohiochristmastree.com/