PDA

View Full Version : Installing sod...

melanieb3
06-29-2009, 12:45 PM
I posted this in the starting a new business forum, but didn't get much help...Maybe you guys here can help me.

Ok. We have a customer that wants sod put in. He currently has no grass.

His first choice was St. Augustine and next was Centipede.

I can't find St. Augustine any cheaper than $130 at the farms here near Shallotte, NC. Although I can get Centipede for $75.

I need 38 pallets! It's a good size yard...

We will be renting a bobcat and have a friend who has a skid so probably cutting him in on the job.

My question is...what do you guys charge to:

do the grading and install the sod?

I'm not sure what the "going rate" is around here...this is why I'm asking you guys for help.

I appreciate ALL input...but please include your price in your input :)

bigslick7878
06-30-2009, 01:10 AM
I posted this in the starting a new business forum, but didn't get much help...Maybe you guys here can help me.

I can't find St. Augustine any cheaper than $130 at the farms here near Shallotte, NC. Although I can get Centipede for $75.

We will be renting a bobcat and have a friend who has a skid so probably cutting him in on the job.

I'm not sure what the "going rate" is around here...this is why I'm asking you guys for help.

Centipede is garbage hence the price difference.

Depends what kind of grading you are talking about,pretty vague question.Some pics might help.

Usually 500 square feet takes about 2 hours to lay...assuming no cuts and what not.Use that to figure out your price.

Pro-Scapes
07-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Just how much centipied do you guys grown in Maryland ? 2 hours to lay a pallet you need to pick up the pace or find new help. We can lay it 2 to 3 times as fast

back to the original post. That st augustine price is somewhat twoards the high end of the spectrum but not completly out of line if its good quality turf. Here st aug comes 450 sq to a pallet and centipied comes 500 ft.

There is a price diff in the lawns no doubt. Centipied can be a very attractive lawn if cared for properly and takes less care than st augustine. I preffer st aug by a long shot. Much more attractive in my opinion.

75 a pallet is kind of cheap on quality centipied. Go look at it before they harvest it and make sure your not getting pasture grass or weed infested green stuff.

As for price... it depends on the prep work but we seem to come out between 300 and 500 per pallet including prep and installation on most jobs. A friend of ours is about to lay 750 pallets at a school and he is about 275 a pallet with no prep work.

lawn king
07-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Charge stock times three and you should walk away with a good profit. Speed wise, a good crew should lay 2000 sq. ft. per hour on a well prepped site, if there is little cutting?

RAlmaroad
07-05-2009, 03:39 PM

Mel:\
I used to live in Ocean Isle and know Shallotte well.

The $130/pallet is in line with most places around here. I get mine in Loris, SC at $120 and I pick it up. There's a place in Ocean Isle that has it for about the same price--picked up. Most of the migrant teams around the area will put it down for about $80/500sq. ft pallet. They are very good and consciouses about their work. I'd recommend them any day. To prep the soil: Most of that will be done by the hour +/-$25.00 for someone with a harley rake and tractor. Or rent one and do it yourself in an afternoon.
Roy

bigslick7878
07-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Just how much centipied do you guys grown in Maryland ? 2 hours to lay a pallet you need to pick up the pace or find new help. We can lay it 2 to 3 times as fast

I was referring to "me" not "we" when laying the sod.2 hours might be a little on the high end but not if there is cutting and what not involved or beds to go around.

If you can lay 500 square feet with 1/4 inch of soil in 45 minutes more power to you.

I'm sure all the seams will be perfect and it will be beautiful as you are throwing it off the pallet and kicking it in place to do it that fast.

electronics2667
07-15-2009, 06:13 PM
In Fl. we charge around $130.00 to $140.00 a Pallet

bigslick7878
07-15-2009, 06:18 PM
In Fl. we charge around $130.00 to $140.00 a Pallet

Labor only I assume?

electronics2667
07-15-2009, 06:26 PM
yes all labor

Whitey4
07-15-2009, 08:30 PM

back to the original post. That st augustine price is somewhat twoards the high end of the spectrum but not completly out of line if its good quality turf. Here st aug comes 450 sq to a pallet and centipied comes 500 ft.

There is a price diff in the lawns no doubt. Centipied can be a very attractive lawn if cared for properly and takes less care than st augustine. I preffer st aug by a long shot. Much more attractive in my opinion.

75 a pallet is kind of cheap on quality centipied. Go look at it before they harvest it and make sure your not getting pasture grass or weed infested green stuff.

As for price... it depends on the prep work but we seem to come out between 300 and 500 per pallet including prep and installation on most jobs. A friend of ours is about to lay 750 pallets at a school and he is about 275 a pallet with no prep work.

One person working alone, wheelbarreling 4 rolls at a time, getting tight seams, which means uncurling the ends that tend to stick up, 2 hours is about right with no cutting. Crews can do it much faster.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
07-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Your pretty close to where I am. We have been having more and more problems with centipede in our area. I had the owner of the sod farm I like to use deliver some pallets the other day and he was saying they are having a hard time keeping insects out of the st augistine. My recomendation is 419 Bermuda. Will run you roughly $85 a pallet plus delivery (approx: $3,800 in sod). Without seeing it, I would be in the $8-9,000 range. And I wouldn't need a skid for that job. A 6' tiller behind our Massey 543, have it all tilled in just a couple hours,use a boxblade to pull dirt where needed, little hand raking, then roll the yard flat (re-rake where needed), and your ready for the sod. We could do it in 2-3 days start to finish.

Stillwater
07-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Charge stock times three and you should walk away with a good profit. Speed wise, a good crew should lay 2000 sq. ft. per hour on a well prepped site, if there is little cutting?

said without even looking at the job....... your hired

Whitey4
07-16-2009, 08:05 PM
said without even looking at the job....... your hired

Your posts are always so helpful, and it's obvious you give a great deal of thought into them before you post. :rolleyes::laugh:

Stillwater
07-16-2009, 08:54 PM
hey whitey whats up..........

electronics2667
07-16-2009, 09:40 PM
thanks Glad i could help.