PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Alberta Spruce turning brown?

Performance R/E
06-29-2009, 02:46 PM
I planted 4 Dwarf Alberta Spruce 4 years ago and late this spring they started turn brown (see pics) Any ideas why? Could it be all the rain we've been getting in the Northeast? Thanks.

phasthound
06-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I planted 4 Dwarf Alberta Spruce 4 years ago and late this spring they started turn brown (see pics) Any ideas why? Could it be all the rain we've been getting in the Northeast? Thanks.

The damage was done by spider mites. Too late to treat. Replace with a different plant. Dwarf Alberta's are high maintenance & require preventative treatments.

Performance R/E
06-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks Phasthound. Would it recover at all with treatment or is the whole tree dead?

phasthound
06-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks Phasthound. Would it recover at all with treatment or is the whole tree dead?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dwarf+alberta+spruce+spider+mites&aq=0&oq=dwarf+alberta+spruce+spid&aqi=g1

The tree is not dead. Will it survive? Yeah. Will it serve as an attractive ornamental, not in my opinion. Would I keep it in my yard after this? Nope.

Think Green
06-29-2009, 10:10 PM
RE,
That looks like spider mite damage possibly! Take a piece of white paper and place it under the foliage and give the shrub a shaking. If little insects fall onto the paper, then it is spider mites as they are usually noticed by small webbing material inside or on the affected areas. They are small as sand grains and look like spiders. They are spiders that feed on the foliage of plants. The cure for these insects is to start with preventative measures as phasthound stated. If you are too late, then you may want to replant some more, but chances are, the mites will return to feed again. If you have seen spiral junipers or balled junipers, you can try and give some oriental shapes to the plants. The growth rate on the alberta is immensely slow and recovery will take some time. If they are a favorite plant, then keep them around and try your luck.
When the temps are starting to warm up, I use Kelthane on mites before it starts to get hotter. I have trouble with mites on my Wintergreen Boxwood's and after treatment for mites, they quickly regain new growth but the mites return. I try to prevent infestations by fertilizing my shrubs to increase vigor so the insects will not attack stressed shrubbery. Sometimes it is nature's way of selective thinning by starving insects.