greg6775
06-29-2009, 05:44 PM
what do you guys think this is some kind of grass or weed its dam ugly thanks

Elite Outdoor
06-29-2009, 06:04 PM
crab grass (weed).

RAlmaroad
06-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Large smooth crabgrass...It's best to use a pre-emerge on February 15-March 15 in these hills. Keep in mind that Dimension will only last about 60-90 days at best so while it is on its last legs during May if you put in down in February, you've got to hit it again. You've probably got Bluegrass or a Fescue mix with Bluegrass. Pre-em does a great job on cool season grasses. However another good thing is to bag your clipping to get as much seed as you can. Crab is an annual and regrows from seed that have been deposited this year. About the only thing you can do now is to blanket it with one of the many herbicides made especially for crab in bluegrass/fescue. You need to ask a fellow licensed applicator for the most effective in your area or visit you local extension agent for the name or done some searches. It does need to be a liquid that is sprayed rather than granular at this stage.

kirk1701
06-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Yep, had a bit pop up in my backyard.

Depending on how much you have, me was not much so I mixed 1 oz to a pint of MSMA just last night. walked around and painted the blades of the crabgrass and nut sedge with it :)

kills for me in three days.

However I did a bobo. tripped and spilled the coffee can of herbicide :laugh:

Think Green
06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Greg,
Yes that is crabgrass....smooth crabgrass.
Your lawn looks like Zoysia grass and you will want to start off with about .5 oz per gallon to treat those spots or you may kill more of the turf than you want. Add some dawn dish soap in the gallon at about a tablespoon. If the MSMA has a sticker agent in there, it will be called msma plus surfactant, then don't add the dawn soap to the gallon.
During our intense heat waves mixing it low will not cause severe damage to the turf. Bermuda on the other hand, we mix at 1 to 1.5 oz per gallon to spot spray the stuff.
It will take 2-3 or more treatments to eliminate crabgrass at 7-10 day intervals. Just read the label on the MSMA you buy. Next season put out a preemerge according to kentucky temperatures when the soil temps get at 52 degrees consecutively. You may want to hire a pro to put the stuff down as you will want to do the apps two times at split applications to keep the seed from germinating.

greendoctor
06-30-2009, 03:49 AM
If it is all over the lawn, I would rather apply Acclaim + Turflon in the zoysia or fescue mix. Less chance of burn or damage to the zoysia or cool season grass. It is hard to tell what kind of grass you have from the pictures. I have heard about what MSMA does to cool season grasses and have seen what it does to zoysia. Acclaim + Turflon is something I would apply with no worries about discoloring the grass.

kirk1701
06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
If it is all over the lawn, I would rather apply Acclaim + Turflon in the zoysia or fescue mix. Less chance of burn or damage to the zoysia or cool season grass. It is hard to tell what kind of grass you have from the pictures. I have heard about what MSMA does to cool season grasses and have seen what it does to zoysia. Acclaim + Turflon is something I would apply with no worries about discoloring the grass.

Hey greendoc, I've heard of this Acclaim + Turflon before, actually I think its on my slip (from last year) when TrueGreen was doing my lawn. After they screwed it up beyond repair and I discontinued their service, well rest is history. Anyhow, as mentioned I've been painting on the MSMA to crabgrass & Nutsedge with great results but where can I find this Acclaim + Turflon???

greendoctor
06-30-2009, 02:38 PM
In your area, JDL should have it. If it is just your lawn, a pint of Acclaim Extra and a gallon of Turflon ought to do it. Rates are 8-10 oz Acclaim and 32 oz Turflon per acre. You do not spot spray this. This mix will kill most broadleaf weeds, crabgrass, foxtail and whack wild bermuda pretty hard.

RAlmaroad
06-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Kirk: Sorta pricey; don't know if there's anything smaller than the 2.5 gallon jug of Turflon @$450.00+/- and the Acclaim @$125/00/pint. Consider that your lawn is under stress right now--you may want to rethink and read the labels from the John Deere site.

greendoctor
06-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Roy, $450 for 21/2? Ow!. I get mine in gallons at CPS/UAP for $130. Turflon is also available in gallons, quarts and pints. However, if I am not mistaken, this is the lawn burning up from the heat and not enough water. At this time, the lawn would not be a candidate for herbicide treatment. I will not spray a dried out lawn or a lawn that is not handling the heat. That begs for a resod at my expense.

kirk1701
06-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Roy, $450 for 21/2? Ow!. I get mine in gallons at CPS/UAP for $130. Turflon is also available in gallons, quarts and pints. However, if I am not mistaken, this is the lawn burning up from the heat and not enough water. At this time, the lawn would not be a candidate for herbicide treatment. I will not spray a dried out lawn or a lawn that is not handling the heat. That begs for a resod at my expense.

Yep, thinks me stick with the glove and painting on the MSMA onto the nutsedge and not much crabgrass but something else I haven't identifed but its killing it just the same with no harm to the grass :)

Or the garden for that fact:laugh: