PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on a job

airluyt
06-29-2009, 08:27 PM
im doing this job, where a person wants there weed infested lawn and grass killed and removed and replaced with top soil and and seed the grass and put in a gravel for there road way. My square footage for the grass is 7000 sqft , how much grass seed should i use. the gravel road is 2500 sqft how much gravel should i put it, they don't need the gravel to me to thick, but the guy insists to only use 1 inch of top soil which i told him numerous times that it will not be enough but he has a budget.

GreenmanCT
06-29-2009, 09:12 PM
im doing this job, where a person wants there weed infested lawn and grass killed and removed and replaced with top soil and and seed the grass and put in a gravel for there road way. My square footage for the grass is 7000 sqft , how much grass seed should i use. the gravel road is 2500 sqft how much gravel should i put it, they don't need the gravel to me to thick, but the guy insists to only use 1 inch of top soil which i told him numerous times that it will not be enough but he has a budget.

this type of job def requires a bobcat, with the power rake attatchment, you can use it to rip up the existing lawn and regrade it as well, you will also need it to move the top soil.

I renovated a Mcdonalds this spring and it was 7000 sq ft. I used 60 yards of top soil to complete the job, You cold probably get away with 30 yards if you spread it 1.5inches. that should be adequate

As for the gravel, 25 yards would be a safe bet to cover just about four inches.

DOnt kid yourself and try to to do this with a wheelbarrow, youll be able to make more money RENTING a bobcat and banging it out solo. price should be around 5-6k, depending on your costs

bigslick7878
06-30-2009, 12:51 AM
this type of job def requires a bobcat, with the power rake attatchment, you can use it to rip up the existing lawn and regrade it as well, you will also need it to move the top soil.

I renovated a Mcdonalds this spring and it was 7000 sq ft. I used 60 yards of top soil to complete the job, You cold probably get away with 30 yards if you spread it 1.5inches. that should be adequate

As for the gravel, 25 yards would be a safe bet to cover just about four inches.

DOnt kid yourself and try to to do this with a wheelbarrow, youll be able to make more money RENTING a bobcat and banging it out solo. price should be around 5-6k, depending on your costs

60 yards for 7k square feet???

Did you have to fill in a swimming pool or something?

GreenmanCT
06-30-2009, 07:07 AM
60 yards for 7k square feet???

Did you have to fill in a swimming pool or something?

thats whats needed to do 4 inches.....(4inch/12) X 7000 / 27 = more then 60 yards

Think Green
07-03-2009, 09:17 PM
7878m,
To do a 4" covering on 7,000 sq.ft., the math don't lie!
.....(4inch/12) X 7000 / 27 = more then 60 yards

Air,
How deep are the swells?..............Do the radius and depth equation! then do the other math.
It is hard to tell you how much without other dimensions. If you are in doubt, add 15% for some extra.

fl-landscapes
07-03-2009, 09:53 PM
As far as how much seed, that is going to depend on type of seed. They vary in size and will consequently vary in lbs/ sq. ft.

airluyt
07-03-2009, 10:08 PM
thanks for the help everyone
im done the job, but the guy didn't budge on the top soil so what i have there is what i have to work with.
as far as the seeding goes i got a 20kg bag of shade seed cause half of it is in shade most of the time and thats what the guy wanted. the bag said it will cover 10000 square feet. what should my setting be on my seed spreader

Think Green
07-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Each seed size affects its application rate per square foot or K. Smaller seeds will require more seed per square foot compared to a larger seed!
When we use the Lanscaper Shade (Junk) mix of seeds for customers, we double the actual rate per K. The thing is, most mixture seed bags combine different seed sizes, so how can you accurately cover the same amount of ground with different seed sizes. We double the amount to cover our misses. Some seeds are going to come up quicker than others. We account for 20-25% loss to bad seeds--erosion--birds and deer.
I am sure that everyone has their own methods of application.........this is how we have done seeds for 30 years. We get good thick lawns as they are done 2-3 times per season to fully fill in. Not all seeds will completely cover the first time and fill in. You will need to do it again.......and again if needed.! We tell a customer this........."Do you want a lawn now or do you want to wait on mother nature to do it?"

GreenmanCT
07-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Each seed size affects its application rate per square foot or K. Smaller seeds will require more seed per square foot compared to a larger seed!
When we use the Lanscaper Shade (Junk) mix of seeds for customers, we double the actual rate per K. The thing is, most mixture seed bags combine different seed sizes, so how can you accurately cover the same amount of ground with different seed sizes. We double the amount to cover our misses. Some seeds are going to come up quicker than others. We account for 20-25% loss to bad seeds--erosion--birds and deer.
I am sure that everyone has their own methods of application.........this is how we have done seeds for 30 years. We get good thick lawns as they are done 2-3 times per season to fully fill in. Not all seeds will completely cover the first time and fill in. You will need to do it again.......and again if needed.! We tell a customer this........."Do you want a lawn now or do you want to wait on mother nature to do it?"

I do the same thing when it comes to the seeding. All my seed jobs come out really nice....But i did notice that some of the other types of grasses wont germinate. On my lawn i used 70/30 mix of rye and bluegrass. I think all the rye came in so quick the bluegrass never had a chance.

Think Green
07-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Greenman,
Yes, when the blended bags are sewed at those high rates, some of the seeds won't germinate unless the areas are sparse. We tell all customers that we don't guarantee any seeds, and we assure them that if they get 70% germination it is a winner!!
The thing is, since we are in the warm season transition zone, those shaded areas that people want covered, do well from February to early June and then once the heat sets in the stuff fades to black. We don't do a whole heck of alot of seeding in the dormant season as most LCO's. Most of the people around here want the consistent brown dormant turf and no other weeds showing. We do well at controlling odd sprigs of tall fescue and KBG growing in dormant muda and zoysia. The shaded areas during the winter season fair ok but most people don't keep the leaves off long enough for the grass to take hold.
Thanks for the reply!!
Happy 4th.