PDA

View Full Version : NOBODY knows how to fix this stone.

KAT_Ayanami
06-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Hi to everyone.

I have visited a customer who has a flagstone floor inside the house by the front door.

The problem is that the flagstone has been treated with some kind of sealant/paint that changed the color from blue to green (or so the owner told me).

What happened is that the owner's cat had the idea of peeing on that area a lot, so the sealant or whatever gave the green color to the stone is flaking out.

My question is: What is that green thing? (sealant, paint, stone itself) and how to fix it other than replacing?

I have worked on stone for more than 20 years but sealants is not my area since I do not recommend it.

A couple of pictures:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3125/sdc13091.jpg

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9726/sdc13090.jpg

Lite4
06-29-2009, 11:23 PM
I am no pro in these matters, but it looks like they put a simple varathane coat on it. The yellowish color of the varathane would turn that bluish stone green. You may try just sampling a small spot and trying it.

Isobel
06-29-2009, 11:48 PM
i agree that its not a green sealant. looks like a simple yellow varnish. Remember from grade school, yellow and blue makes green.

mikeny
06-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I bought a house that had the same look on a Fire place Hearth, I used a a paint varnish stripper then sanded the blue stone to get back to natural

Lite4
07-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Could also be a shellac product for yellowing.

Pro-Scapes
07-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Yup... its happening to my split brick floors but... the key here is pet urine seems to yellow it out more (yes the yellow and blue make it green)

My wife got a pup and used training pads. However the pads leaked and I have a yellow spot in the brick in the bathroom we cannot get rid of without using a floor sander or chemical stripper to remove it.

Not sure if some type of acid etch is possible but I wouldnt mess with it indoors if your not insured as a flooring contractor.

4 seasons lawn&land
07-01-2009, 06:23 PM
the paint varnish stripper sounds like a pretty solid idea for this but you might also try a steam cleaner for a less messy method. Those thing's take off some serious stuff.

2low4NH
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM
yeah just a varnish or sealer on the stone. try something like goo gone goof off or other paint stripper make sure it can be used on porous surfaces follow recommendations then reseal the floor

KAT_Ayanami
08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the answers.

It was yellow varnish on top of blue slate :P

We use varnish removers which made more of a mess than help......

The chemical DID soften the varnish ready to be scraped out. The problem is that the stone was NOT smooth, so there was no way to evenly scrape anything!! Besides, it was an indoor work and hosing water like requested on the box was not an option!

Solution? Well, the varnish and the chemical made some kind of reaction that transformed the mixture into some kind of sticky glue... so I had to use thiner and acetone to water it down and pick it up with 20 rolls of Bounty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The floor got rather clean (missing some spots on the deepest dents of the stone), so we got what we wanted :)

Thank you for all the help everyone!!

louisianarebel
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the answers.

It was yellow varnish on top of blue slate :P

We use varnish removers which made more of a mess than help......

The chemical DID soften the varnish ready to be scraped out. The problem is that the stone was NOT smooth, so there was no way to evenly scrape anything!! Besides, it was an indoor work and hosing water like requested on the box was not an option!

Solution? Well, the varnish and the chemical made some kind of reaction that transformed the mixture into some kind of sticky glue... so I had to use thiner and acetone to water it down and pick it up with 20 rolls of Bounty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The floor got rather clean (missing some spots on the deepest dents of the stone), so we got what we wanted :)

Thank you for all the help everyone!!
Made me :laugh:
Hope you got paid good..