PDA

View Full Version : Why does my grass look dead?

anneb
04-11-2002, 10:00 PM
Hi, this is my first time posting. I live in Cleveland and I've noticed that everyone else's grass is very green except ours. Ours looks burnt out and dead. We kept it very nice all last year and had regular fertilizations and we use to have one of the nicest lawns on our street. Now, I'm embarrassed about the condition of our lawn. We just fertilized this week but haven't really seen major improvement.

It seems like a lot of the grass is dead and when you swipe your hand through the grass you can pick up a lot of the dead blades.

Help!!!!

Anne:confused:

lawnstudent
04-12-2002, 12:09 AM
When did you last fertilize last fall? What knid of fert did you put down: Fast or slow release on this last application? When did it finally get cold in your area last fall/winter? If you fertilized with fast relase fert. late in the season, and your grass put on a lush top growth and then the cold weather set in; your lawn did not get a chance to harden off before the cold. You DO NOT want your lawn going into the cold winter weather with new lush top growth!

jim

Brickman
04-12-2002, 12:40 AM
Water any one???

As dry as the rest of the county has been this spring that could be a factor. I have noticed that yards that "always" do best, and first in the spring some times will take a break and wait for a few weeks longer. Why? I have no clue. It is some thing that I have seen before.

ohiolawnguy
04-12-2002, 08:58 PM
has this ever happened in the past? or is this something enirely new for you to see.

i highly doubt it is a lack of water, because im only 40 minutes from clevelnd, and the ground is extremely soggy.

my first guess is that it could possibly be zoysia grass. zoysia browns out up here every year in the fall, and then becomes green again usually by may 1st.

did this begin to occur last fall, or early this spring? without seeing it, it's rather difficult to diagnose.

if it isn't zoysia grass, i would begin to suspect an insect problem,

lawnstudent
04-13-2002, 02:59 PM
Ohiolawnguy brings up a valid point. Zoysia grass is a warm season grass and will remain dormant until it really heats up. Is this your first spring in this house? If it is Zoysia grass, you will experience this every year unless you add/replace with a cool season grass.

Another thought I had is that it could be water related. Your response Ohiolawnguy got me thinking about water logged or very wet soils. Wet soil warms much slower than a well drained soil. This can ****** spring green up considerably. If it is poor drainage/wet soils then aeration may help this drainage problem and promote a more rapid spring green-up.

jim

awm
04-14-2002, 06:45 AM
sounds like zoysia, to me.