PDA

View Full Version : Need help asap with decision!

FinerCutslawnCare
06-30-2009, 12:58 AM
So I have a lady that wants me to take out the existing plant and put some type of ever-green in the middle. She doesn't want it to be higher than the bottom of the window. I am trying to think of what to put here. I live in iowa some remember the climate and what would work best. Lighting conditions arn't very good as there is a tree that takes most of it up. I need to have some ideas asap!:dizzy: She liked this kind of ever green in the last picture...please let me know if this is a good idea:waving:

White Gardens
06-30-2009, 01:17 AM
That looks to be an unpruned juniper, might get a little big for the area.

Shrub form blue spruce, boxwoods, arborvitae, are a few that come to mind.

vincent1
06-30-2009, 01:19 AM
plant that and she won't be able to see out the window or use the side walk

beano
06-30-2009, 06:44 PM
How about a Mugo Pine?

starry night
06-30-2009, 07:45 PM
How about a Mugo Pine?

That IS a mugho pine. That will get too wide for the space. I'll go along with the suggestion of a globe arb. Try the variety "Danica"

White Gardens
06-30-2009, 08:57 PM
That IS a mugho pine. That will get too wide for the space. I'll go along with the suggestion of a globe arb. Try the variety "Danica"

That's not a mugho.

FinerCutslawnCare
06-30-2009, 09:36 PM
It cant grow above the bottom of the window.

starry night
06-30-2009, 10:14 PM
That's not a mugho.

Are we both looking at the second pick? Or are you playing games about the spelling?

beano
06-30-2009, 11:25 PM
I was suggesting the dwarf variety, only 3ft wide

White Gardens
06-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Are we both looking at the second pick? Or are you playing games about the spelling?

Yes, playing games about the spelling, and the bush isn't a mugo.

It appears to be a common yew that hasn't been trimmed.

beegreenlandcare
06-30-2009, 11:39 PM
It definitely IS a mugho pine-look at the round needles. A yew will have flat leaves. Yes a dwarf variety of a mugho will work and yes, mugho IS spelled correctly:laugh:

starry night
07-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Yes, playing games about the spelling, and the bush isn't a mugo.

It appears to be a common yew that hasn't been trimmed.

OK. As your sig says. But there is no doubt in my mind that it's a pine.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

cudaclan
07-01-2009, 12:54 AM
I concur, it is a Mugo Pine. However, never insert “dwarf” in front of its’ name. Size can be unpredictable.

Evergreens and pines will not flourish in shade. If “salting” is used in the winter season, forget it.

I see snow tossed on top of any planting in that area compounding the situation.

I would recommend hostas.

FinerCutslawnCare
07-01-2009, 02:27 AM
She is being very difficult and insist on having some sort of evergreen... I didn't know if some type of juniper would go nicely there. Maybe something that would spread and cover the area nicely with years to come. I am supposed to start working on this tomorrow(tearing out the old stuff) so that is why I am so desperate for help!

White Gardens
07-01-2009, 02:57 AM
OK. As your sig says. But there is no doubt in my mind that it's a pine.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I concur,

It's really hard to tell from pics what some plants are without looking at it first hand.

Regardless, semantics aside, it wouldn't work there very well regardless of what kind of pine it is.

If it was me, I'd plant some green velvet box-woods and let them grow together in that area. In about 3-5 years you'll have a mound formed.

beegreenlandcare
07-01-2009, 10:00 PM
She is being very difficult and insist on having some sort of evergreen... I didn't know if some type of juniper would go nicely there. Maybe something that would spread and cover the area nicely with years to come. I am supposed to start working on this tomorrow(tearing out the old stuff) so that is why I am so desperate for help!

OK, then, if she wants a plain ol' evergreen go w/ a taxus media. :confused:They're pretty tuff. I would NOt do any spreading junipers there considering the issue w/ posibble salt damage which is what it looks like already has happened OR the best idea is what "White Gardens" suggested

JNyz
07-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Watch out for water conditions planting under that overhang.

FinerCutslawnCare
07-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Well in the middle she wants boxwoods, on each side she wants golden privet's. I think it will look nice. I will keep everyone updated. Job should be done this week!