PDA

View Full Version : Unbreakable transfer shovels?

theguynextdoor
06-30-2009, 11:17 AM
I keep buying those transfer shovels from home depot or lowes. The ones with the big gray scoop and short handle. They are $25 a piece and they never last longer than a month. Anyone know of a similar type shovel that won't break so fast or where I can order some in bulk at a cheap price?

Dontpush421
06-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Yea those shovels never last very long not even for mulch, nut my mom has had one for several years that she uses to shovel saw dust for her horse I guess thats what they are ment for, but I have seen metal ones, never used one though. around here in Pittsburgh they have them at daniels discount hardware but it is a small place doubt if they even have a website but they might?

44DCNF
06-30-2009, 12:21 PM
You can get them made of aluminum.

pconley
06-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Try A.M. Leonard catalog, or amleo.com. They have these one piece poly scoops. They are a little more money but guaranteed for life.

theguynextdoor
07-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Try A.M. Leonard catalog, or amleo.com. They have these one piece poly scoops. They are a little more money but guaranteed for life.

Thanks for the info, I'll check those out. The aluminum ones didn't last long either, they just bend.

birdman0494
07-01-2009, 03:02 AM
i think i have a ridgid or ryobi shovel its strong!

Az Gardener
07-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Check a feed store we have had some for at least two seasons the Aluminum ones and they are still good someone must be tough on tools.

GracesLandscaping
07-04-2009, 03:51 AM
i have an aluminum one (i think its a true temper)... came from lowes and its holding up great.... i mostly use it for mulch but ive used it for river rock also...

Johnson LCO
07-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I have an old school one that is a coal shovel. Thing weighs a lot but is over 80 years old and still holding strong. I bought a plastic one cause it was so much lighter but went back to the coal shovel after it broke. I guess they dont make tools like they used to.

White Gardens
07-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I've got an aluminum Grain/feed scoop, and have never broke one.

I can remember growing up scooping corn in bins, and the only time we threw one away is when they would get ground down from all the scooping. I still could probably go back home and find a couple that have been around for 20 years or so.

If they are getting broke, then you or your employees are too hard on them.

prizeprop
07-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Go get an aluminum one at Sears,I just got free replacements on two after nine years of use.

dlandscaping
07-06-2009, 09:43 PM
The aluminum ones seem different and dont work as well in my experience.

mikec_j
07-06-2009, 11:46 PM
what do you move with them? I have an aluminum coal shovel that is over 30yrs old and still going strong

wrtenterprises
07-09-2009, 09:12 AM
In my experience where the aluminum shovel attaches to the handle they bend. Mulch tends to pack tightly when the dump trucks are loaded full, and the trip to the job site settles it even more. The problem arises when someone uses the aluminum scoop as a prying device to loosen the mulch from the bottom. Too much stress on a weak joint. If I could only make my guys realize this. Oh well, since I purchased a couple of poly lifetime scoops, no issues......

GFTC
07-13-2009, 12:53 AM
We use snow shovels to scoop mulch. Tough and light weight
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
07-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Snow shovels are about worthless.

This is what lasts.

http://www.homegardenandpatio.com/land/grain_scoop.htm

GFTC
07-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Snow shovels are about worthless.

This is what lasts.

http://www.homegardenandpatio.com/land/grain_scoop.htm

That's funny. We've been using the same two shovels for two years, $20 each and close to 200 cubic yards of mulch moved. Still going strong. I've used aluminum grain shovels and I still prefer our snow shovels.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
07-22-2009, 11:44 AM
That's funny. We've been using the same two shovels for two years, $20 each and close to 200 cubic yards of mulch moved. Still going strong. I've used aluminum grain shovels and I still prefer our snow shovels.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think I'm just too aggressive with snow shovels.