PDA

View Full Version : Seed Quality vs Fert Quality?

andyh3
06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Which is MORE important - to have a higher quality seed or higher quality fertilizer?

I understand that they are both important. But if you seed with a lesser quality seed and use a high quality fertilizer, can you still achieve excellent lawn appearance? Or are you going to be limited based on seed type?

Many of my clients have newer lawns started with contractor-grade seed and they are wanting 'golf course-like' appearance. Can that be done with selecting good fertilizer? Or will I have to re-seed?

Thanks!

phasthound
06-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Which is MORE important - to have a higher quality seed or higher quality fertilizer?

I understand that they are both important. But if you seed with a lesser quality seed and use a high quality fertilizer, can you still achieve excellent lawn appearance? Or are you going to be limited based on seed type?

Many of my clients have newer lawns started with contractor-grade seed and they are wanting 'golf course-like' appearance. Can that be done with selecting good fertilizer? Or will I have to re-seed?

Thanks!

Tell your clients that "golf course-like" appearance requires both high quality fert and annual power seeding.

mdlwn1
06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Almost thought this was a level.

RigglePLC
06-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Top quality seed is absolutely essential. Fertilizer lasts about a month. The seed lasts 20 years. Put in bad grass or weedy, disease-prone, stringy grass and you have a problem that will last 20 years. See above pictures on worst red thread problems. Don't buy seed on price--buy on performance. Get a bluegrass like Northstar, Midnight II, or Limosine. Add a rye like Palmer IV, Derby Xtreme, Silver Dollar or Manhattan IV. Fertilizer cannot fix bad seed.

andyh3
07-01-2009, 03:12 PM
thanks!

that was kind of what I had originally thought

bigslick7878
07-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Its the seed by a mile.Every seed has its own genetic makeup and it makes a HUGE difference in the quality of turf you get.It is everything when trying to get lush green grass that you could sleep on,resists disease and weeds and can survive drought or other tough conditions.

That contractor grade garbage comes in really fast and then when you go 4 days without rain it is dying and thinning out.....like it is around where I am at at a couple of new houses and businesses I ride by all the time.

andyh3
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
what is the best way to get around bad seed - complete renovation or simply overseed?

if overseeding is the way to go, how long does it take for the good grass to 'replace' the bad? and is that even possible?

bigslick7878
07-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Best thing to do is just thin out the junk grass as much as possible before you overseed.Power rake it and chop it down as low as the mower will go,it will struggle to come back and in the meantime the good grass is coming in replacing it. I wouldn't kill it all off because that existing grass does wonders shading the new seed and keeping it moist while it is germinating.

Eventually you can crowd out the old stuff after a few overseedings.The strong will survive over the course of time and that will be the new good quality turf.

I'm assuming you are talking about a cool season grass??

muddstopper
07-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Use a good quality seed and a verygood quality fertilizer application program. The best fert and the best seed in the world wont make up for poor management practices.

mdlwn1
07-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Best thing to do is just thin out the junk grass as much as possible before you overseed.Power rake it and chop it down as low as the mower will go,it will struggle to come back and in the meantime the good grass is coming in replacing it. I wouldn't kill it all off because that existing grass does wonders shading the new seed and keeping it moist while it is germinating.

Eventually you can crowd out the old stuff after a few overseedings.The strong will survive over the course of time and that will be the new good quality turf.

I'm assuming you are talking about a cool season grass??

Actually...the BEST thing to do is kill it and reseed completely. The faster growing sht grasses will always continue spreading.

bigslick7878
07-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Actually...the BEST thing to do is kill it and reseed completely. The faster growing sht grasses will always continue spreading.

And if he does that it will be harder to get the new grass to germinate because it will have no protection from the sun.

New seed comes in best when you have some existing grass still there to shade it,you would be surprised what only 3/4 of an inch of old turf there will do for new seed to protect it.

When you rake it out and chop it down it will damage the old stuff enough to stunt the growth of it for the period the seed is germinating,while leaving some material there to provide the new seed with a good covering so it isn't exposed.

By the time the old grass has recovered the new stuff will be taking over and it will crowd the old stuff out over time.

DiyDave
07-02-2009, 08:20 PM
My 2 cents would be, at this time of year, here in the midatlantic, spray down existing junk with Roundup PRO, it works in 3-4 days, then powerseed and water it real good. Dead junk grass is just as good of a mulch as live junk grass, and no competition at all, whatsoever!:dancing:

RigglePLC
07-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Do you have irrigation available? Then it is OK to seed now--soil temp is warm for fast germination--but weed and crabgrass seeds will be a problem.

If no irrigation. My suggestion. Kill it with Roundup about August 20. Seed about Sept first or when high temps come down below 85.

bigslick7878
07-02-2009, 09:31 PM
We still have no clue where he is at,if he is almost anywhere in the country except the far north it is too late to seed.(if you want good results).

3rd week of August is pushing it too IMO,but it depends on where he is at.

Here in the mid atlantic I usually wait until first week of September,and even then it isn't that out of the ordinary to have temps near or above 90.

andyh3
07-06-2009, 05:53 PM
sorry - should have said that i'm located in the northeast region

bigslick7878
07-06-2009, 10:38 PM
sorry - should have said that i'm located in the northeast region

WAY too late.

Wait until first week of September.

dKoester
07-07-2009, 02:42 AM
I get my grass seed wholesale and its blue tag certified.