PDA

View Full Version : what pesticide to apply?

theWRIGHTcut
06-30-2009, 07:52 PM
i have a bed surrounding a driveway, it mostly consists of loose stone....

the weeds have almost completely taken over the beds, and i was wondering how i can kill everything except the rose of Sharon bushes/shrubs that live there?

i really have no experience in pesticide/this type of thing, so excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place!

thanks
guys:usflag:

phasthound
06-30-2009, 08:11 PM
i have a bed surrounding a driveway, it mostly consists of loose stone....

the weeds have almost completely taken over the beds, and i was wondering how i can kill everything except the rose of Sharon bushes/shrubs that live there?

i really have no experience in pesticide/this type of thing, so excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place!

thanks
guys:usflag:

Well, professionally you can not apply anything without a pesticide license.

RigglePLC
06-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Most soil treatments would also kill the rose o sharon. Cover it with bag and spray the stones.

humble1
06-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Most soil treatments would also kill the rose o sharon. Cover it with bag and spray the stones.

just dont cover it on a hot day or you will kill it from the heat in the bag

mngrassguy
07-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Well, professionally you can not apply anything without a pesticide license.

Unless this is your own lawn.

theWRIGHTcut
07-02-2009, 08:44 AM
this is in reference to my own property, alright thanks guys i will pick up something today and spray em, today is nice and cool so that should work in favor of the shrubs i am trying to protect in the process

coiclawn
07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Round up will work for you, just keep it off the desirables.

Hissing Cobra
07-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Yup, use Round Up Quik pro or any product containing Glyphosate. Make sure that you spray at low pressure on a day with no wind. Keep the mist off of your desirable plants and definitely keep it off of your shoes! If you step in it then walk into your lawn, you'll notice dead footprints in the lawn within a week.

Think Green
07-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Wright,
In my own beds, I mix up 2% of glyphosate in a gallon sprayer. That is 2 oz.'s and add a tsp of dawn dish soap to the mixture. The glyphosate is a non-seclective killing chemical. After about 3-5 days, I then go in the bed with a line trimmer and remove the dying and withering weeds to the ground. The weeds that are coming up in the shrubs, I hand pick and throw out of the bed. The weeds that are going to seed are too late for much help. They will more than likely come back next season or as the season progresses for me. Rake out the remainder of the weed matter and remulch the beds. I use cypress as it is acidic and holds down weeds. Any further breakthroughs of weeds can be controlled with the round-up. If you are having trouble with grassy weeds, you can use (Vantage) or (Fluazifop) to control these as well. I mix round-up and either of the 2 listed as a back up. I also mix round-up and prodiamine together in shrubbery beds.
There are other products in granular form like Snapshot that needs to be applied before the mulches go down as a preemergent. They make products like Glufosinate (Finale) and Diquat Dibromide for quick burndown of weeds but they are quick fixes and do not last long. Keep a heavy mulch layer on the beds at or around 4+ inches and this will significantly reduce the weed pressure. Roundup makes a product that is blended with Diquat for fast burndown.............. Good Luck! as I am hoping you said that this is your bed??