PDA

View Full Version : Outlook for the hardscape install industry

DVS Hardscaper
07-01-2009, 10:01 PM
so what do you think?

Will your hardscape business be able to put 1 or 2 of your children through college?

Will you be able too retire at 65 and live comfortably? Will you be able to retire at 42?

I've seen a lotta changes in the install industry. Fierce added competition, which in turn is driving down the rates. Funding for home owners has dried up.

Can your business run without you? In other words if you're in the hospital, wil the work be completed, will sales continue to come in, and will your clients be happy with what was done while you weren't there?

Will you be able to make a modest living on hardscapes alone?

There are alotta little logistics!

AztlanLC
07-02-2009, 12:16 PM
I think it comes more to the person running the business not the whole industry.
I've successful people in many many areas and many people that fails in those same business, me personally have done as much as I can to improve my business and have confidence that some day I'll be able to retire before my body burns out.

DVS Hardscaper
07-03-2009, 02:27 PM
hmmmm....maybe this topic is too intelectual.............

wurkn with amish
07-03-2009, 02:41 PM
it is 4th of july weekend....
As of right now, no my hardscape division will not put my 2 girls through college. Do I want it too???? I'm not sure, I'm from the old school thinking of parents give your kids just enough help but don't do it all for them. I paid for my college thru grants and loans. As for the hardscping itself, its doing extremely well this year. I wish I was to the point my company could run w/o me, still working on getting it there. I would be screwed if I ended up in the hospital. Damn guys can't think past lunch time....

Hokie84
07-03-2009, 04:28 PM
DVS,

Excellent post and all good points to think about, especially for people just starting in this field.

I wish I was more confidant that my business would eventually yield the level of income needed to reach the goals you speak of.

I am curious what your opinion is.

custom patios
07-03-2009, 07:49 PM
so what do you think?

Will your hardscape business be able to put 1 or 2 of your children through college?

Will you be able too retire at 65 and live comfortably? Will you be able to retire at 42?

I've seen a lotta changes in the install industry. Fierce added competition, which in turn is driving down the rates. Funding for home owners has dried up.

Can your business run without you? In other words if you're in the hospital, wil the work be completed, will sales continue to come in, and will your clients be happy with what was done while you weren't there?

Will you be able to make a modest living on hardscapes alone?

There are alotta little logistics!

for the vast majority of us the sad truth is no. For me, answering no to just one of these questions spells failure for my economic goals. The individuals I know personally, who can answer yes to these questions and then some, all have particular traits and attitudes which are somewhat identifiable, along with broad and strong business skills.