PDA

View Full Version : Hustler or bobcat?

byrdman
04-12-2002, 03:05 AM
I have been looking at hustlers and bobcats. i am interested in a 72" deck. i mow about 6 acres and my land is very hilly. i want something that will last me many trouble-free years. any suggestions?

Luke Landscaper
02-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I have a Bobcat ZT219. I have only used it for one year but It performed flawlessly for me. I have not used a hustler but I have no complaints about my Bobcat yet. Time will tell. Good luck with your decision. This was also my first commercial mower and for the Price VS. Quality, I feel I made the right decision.

blackandgold
02-06-2007, 01:33 AM
many of the bobcat models are priced at or above Hustler's competitive model.

Shop and compare... check out the warranty, feature & price of the hustler your are interested in, and then demo it. You'll see the difference.

JAF
02-07-2007, 01:56 PM
For hillsides Hustler is the machine. Less spinning, smooth ride and the price kills. Also you can get front flex forks for the ride. Check them out.

OSDOTF
02-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Any 72" deck is subject to a lot of stress. Bobcat uses 10 gauge steel with 7 gauge skirts and reinforcements. Hustler's XR-7 deck is 7 gauge steel with an additional 11 gauge doubler on top plus 7 gauge triplers at each spindle mount -- that's nearly a half-inch (.478") of steel at the spindle mounts (Bobcat's spindles mount to .314" of steel. The Hustler deck is further reinforced by solid 1.5" x .5" steel bar welded to the trim edges. This is how Hustler can offer a lifetime warranty on their deck leading edges. The Hustler deck also has more anti-scalp rollers and their mounts are much stronger.

You didn't mention a specific Bobcat model, but the comparison between decks pretty much mirrors the way the two brands compare in other ways as well. The Hustler frame, for example, is a one-piece fabricated design welded from tubing with 3/8" wall thickness with the wheel motors bolting into a heavily boxed structure of 7 gauge steel. It has a lifetime warranty. Bobcat's 200 series frames are welded formed steel and 1/8" wall-thickness tube and are warrantied for three years (I'm not familiar with the warranty on Predator's formed and welded 7-gauge frame).

Hustler's hydraulic lines (high pressure lines are stainless steel tubing) and fittings also have a lifetime warranty. Hustler's hydraulic system reservoir is larger. So is the fuel capacity. Hustler's drum parking brakes are automatic; Bobcat uses inferior disc brakes which require additional steps to set and release. Hustler's foot-operated deck is easier to raise and lower and offers a wider range of cutting heights which are easier to set. Hustler engines are easier to service because they are turned 90 degrees from the conventional which also limits the amount of rear overhang -- very important if you mow deep ditch banks.

Hustler's lower center of gravity . . . I could go on and on. When you buy, just make sure you're comparing apples to apples. All of my above remarks apply to all full-size Hustlers equipped with the XR-7 deck. However, only a few machines in the industry can even hope to match specs with a Hustler Super Z so don't even try to compare one of Bobcat's 200 series mowers with a Super Z. Even the Predator specs closer to Hustler's standard Z than it does to the Super Z. For example, Super Z (0-15 mph) uses Hydro Gear 21 cc pumps. The Predator (0-12.5 mph -- 33 hp Generac only!) uses 12 cc pumps while both the Bobcat 200 series (0-8 mph) and the standard Hustler Z (0-9 mph) are equipped with industry-standard 10 cc pumps.

Happy buying!

OSDOTF
02-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I wrote: "The Hustler frame, for example, is a one-piece fabricated design welded from tubing with 3/8" wall thickness with the wheel motors bolting into a heavily boxed structure of 7 gauge steel. It has a lifetime warranty. Bobcat's 200 series frames are welded formed steel and 1/8" wall-thickness tube and are warrantied for three years (I'm not familiar with the warranty on Predator's formed and welded 7-gauge frame)."

The correct wall thickness of Hustler tubing is 3/16" -- not 3/8". That's still 50% thicker than the 1/8" wall tube used by Bobcat (and most other brands). And btw, one change not readily apparent on the new 48" and 54" FasTraks is the new frame's 3/16" wall-thickness 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" tube. The frames of the 44" and 52" FasTraks -- also warrantied for life -- were built from 1/8" tubing. The strong just keep getting stronger!

blackandgold
02-16-2007, 11:30 PM

Jason, is that you??

JAF
02-19-2007, 12:26 PM
You bet, I believe the hustler would be a better buy. How about you Darren?

pugs
02-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I would suggest Bobcat...but the only problem is they only offer the 72" with a Generac engine. That is the only reason I wouldnt want it.

The 72" deck is not like any of the other Z200 decks. I sold one last year with a 26 EFI Kohler. That Deck is a monster.

Also the decks on the bobcats have a double 10 gauge layer on top with 7 gauge skirts and 7 gauge reinforcements. However I dont think this applies to the 72" deck because it does not resemble any of the other decks in its construction. I have never had one apart to work on so its hard to see without having the spindle off what its made of.

gps_jetskier
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
That's a great comparison. Wish you could do it on like a John Deere or a Exmark. Wish Hustler had a comparison chart like that. Hustler needs to push their product better I think. It's excellent, but not enough people know that.

gps_jetskier

blackandgold
02-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Drive any Hustler, and then drive any other competitor. The Hustler is soooo smooth. Compare features, warranty, price, and your local dealer.

Who sells bobcat anymore? If I was shopping for a new ZTR, Hustler would be the first brand I would look at--then about ten other brands--then bobcat.

OSDOTF
02-26-2007, 01:34 PM
on top even if you overlook the fact that, as currently described on its own website, BOB-CAT makes no mention of a 10-gauge deck doubler in its deck construction:

"Deck Construction: Welded 10-gauge steel with 7-gauge reinforcements and side skirts."

As described, that's .3138" of steel at the spindle mounts. Adding the unmentioned 10-gauge doubler brings the thickness to .4483".

Following is HUSTLER's own description of its deck:

"Construction: 7 gauge deck plate with an 11-gauge deck plate doubler with 7-gauge triplers at each spindle mount. Solid 1-1/2 in x 1/2" flat steel bars reinforce impact areas on trim edges. 7-gauge reinforced front edge. Lifetime warranty on leading edge of deck."

As described, that's .4782" of steel at the spindle mounts. Also, notice other features NOT found on the BOBCAT deck -- the 1/2" flat steel bar reinforcing on HUSTLER's 7-gauge deck skirts and the lifetime warranty on the leading edge.

Luke Landscaper
02-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I hear all your hipe about the thickness of the deck but I see no reason why the bobcat deck is not plenty thick enough, If your not crashing into every rock tree and obsticle around you wont need that exta support on the deck, but if you like demoliton derbys it might matter. Price is why I bought mine, It was the best I could afford for the money and as far as who sells what, I can name two bobcat dealers within 25 miles of my location. Closer to me than any hustler dealer.

Lynden-Jeff
03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Ive driven both, ive price checked both and I own all bobcat. Bobcats are tanks and IMO hustler is great to but the price difference was to large.

Cheers
Jeff